Lightweight tent options

Hey guys,

I've been doing a lot of research on tents lately, and I was curious if I could get some feedback from those with personal experience with the models I've narrowed it down too.

For my purposes I'm looking for a two person shelter that I will mostly be using by myself. However it needs to have just enough room for the times I bring a partner with their backpack and bow. Primarily I'll be using this during archery elk season, and I want an option that's light enough to leave in my pack for nights that I want to bivvy hunt. I'm leaning more towards floorless shelters for the weight savings, although I have found a few options with bathtub floors and mesh-inners. I'm also wanting a shelter that I pitch with my trekking poles so I don't have to haul an extra pole. Ideally, I want the entire setup to come in at less than two pounds (including stakes, guylines, and a ground sheet), or as close to that as possible. I also want the shelter to be fully enclosed, so no tarps without annexes. Ease of pitching is also a concern since I'll be doing it at night in the timber (which is why pyramids are particularly attractive to me).

So far I've narrowed my search down to these options (in no particular order of preference):

1. Kifaru Supertarp (24 oz with annex) --> Good price, I love kifaru durability, but not much headroom
  2. Black Diamond Betalight (24 oz, ~50 sq. ft.) --> Very affordable, not sure about durability
  3. MLD Cuben Fiber Duomid (14 oz, 45 sq. ft.) --> Lightest option with lots of room, but kinda pricey
  4. Hyperlite Ultamid (19 oz, 63 sq. ft.) --> Tons of room, very light, but very expensive
  5. Tarptent Motrail (34 oz, 38.5 sq. ft.) --> eliminates need to pack a ground ground sheet, but seems tight for two, and heaviest option

Do any of you have any personal experience with any of these tarps/tents? What are some factors I need to consider with them? Are there any other options out there I need to consider based on my criteria.

Thanks for any advice you can give me!

I have experience with both the HMG U2 and the MLD DuoMid. Both are excellent shelters and I don’t believe you could go wrong with either. I would definitely throw in the Locus Gear Hapi in CF as well. While it’s not as big as the U2, it’s plenty big enough for two with a little bit of gear and easily big enough for all your gear if going solo. You can pitch it in an A-frame configuration (freeing up all usable space, so no center pole), using both of your trekking poles along with 2-8” carbon fiber pole jacks, and for the size I believe they are the lightest mids available. Mine comes in at a hair over 17 oz. including pole jacks, guy lines, 9-mini Groundhog and 4-9” carbon fiber stakes, and CF stuff sacks.
0e8a1418f2da0c531314bad280c36d33.jpg

e09ba5b27812058804b7ecfa95b4dc7f.jpg

But, if you don’t mind carrying around an extra half pound or so, you could go with the U2 and have even more room.
9a0d8733d37e7407d5dbad05a17738ea.jpg

You may want to also look at some of Bear Paw Wilderness Designs options. They’re not nearly as well made as the previously mentioned manufacturers, but they are less expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tlkaetz

WKR
I use the supertarp w/ annex as a solo shelter. I have been very happy with it. I have used this with another person and it is very tight. I would recommend another shelter if you are planning on using with a buddy and gear.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Seek Outside LBO. Either base +vestibule, or base+base. Tarptent Stratospire 2. Couple more options to consider

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
bowtech101st
Thank you for your guys' feedback!

AK Troutbum, I checked out the locus gear hapi and was really impressed. I see their silnylon version is only 17 oz (without all the stakes and guylines of course) and a fraction of the cost. It looks like the Hapi and the Duomid are roughly the same size. Out of the two do you have a preference? Do you think it's possible to fit two average sized guys and two backpacks in those shelters?

- - - Updated - - -

tlkaetz,

That's kind of what I figured about the Supertarp. Kinda bummed, because I really wanted to buy another Kifaru shelter.

Thank you for your guys' feedback!

AK Troutbum, I checked out the locus gear hapi and was really impressed. I see their silnylon version is only 17 oz (without all the stakes and guylines of course) and a fraction of the cost. It looks like the Hapi and the Duomid are roughly the same size. Out of the two do you have a preference? Do you think it's possible to fit two average sized guys and two backpacks in those shelters?
As far as preference, probably the Hapi, but only because it’s a little lighter. The DuoMid is a very well made shelter though. Two people and packs could be doable I guess, but it would be tight and you’d probably have to put your partially empty packs under where you’re sleeping.

I’ve been on the fence waiting for a used cuben hapi or duomid at an irresistible price to pop up. The main difference to me is the door being on the short side of hapi vs long side of the duomid. Functionally I think the hapi would be better for 2 people because you wouldn’t have to climb over whoever is near the door like the duo. I’m looking at both as solo shelters though and starting to think I’d prefer to sleep in the back of the duo and have only gear in the 1/2 near the door.

I have a hard time finding a selling point for supertarp over a similarly priced/weighted silnylon mid. Maybe footprint?

Oware came out with this mid recently:

Bivy Sack | Oware

I've been researching mids a lot myself, and am leaning towards this. The 20 oz doesn't include stakes and guylines, but the price is good. I use a bivysack they make and it is great quality.
Just another option for you.

Lack of mid panel guy outs, minimal guy outs around perimeter, and no peak vent could be a couple big issues.

I’ve been on the fence waiting for a used cuben hapi or duomid at an irresistible price to pop up. The main difference to me is the door being on the short side of hapi vs long side of the duomid. Functionally I think the hapi would be better for 2 people because you wouldn’t have to climb over whoever is near the door like the duo. I’m looking at both as solo shelters though and starting to think I’d prefer to sleep in the back of the duo and have only gear in the 1/2 near the door.

I have a hard time finding a selling point for supertarp over a similarly priced/weighted silnylon mid. Maybe footprint?

There’s a CF Hapi on Backpackinglight right now that sounds like a decent deal. CF Duo’s occasionally come up for sale but Hapi’s on the used market are pretty rare from what I’ve seen.

There’s a CF Hapi on Backpackinglight right now that sounds like a decent deal. CF Duo’s occasionally come up for sale but Hapi’s on the used market are pretty rare from what I’ve seen.

Thanks, I saw that. He wants to package it with the full inner though. Seems he's aware that a 17 ounce inner is not a desirable addition to an 11 ounce mid for most.

tdhanses

WKR
The MLD in silnylon at 18oz is only 4oz more then the Cuban model at a significantly lower price.

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of great options. I think you could reasonable rule out the Motrail (heavy), Hyperlite (overpriced) and Supertarp (tight). I don't know anything about the Black Diamond Betalight but the MLD Duomid would be a great option. As AK Troutman pointed out the Hapi, I would also include the Locus Gear Khufu. The difference between the two is the door is on the long side vs the short. I solo backcountry hunt so my experience with having the door on the long side really helps open up the space. You can place all your gear within the front side of the shelter and sleep along the back long wall. It works really well. With two guys and gear I would worry that the Duomid and more so with the Khufu could be a little tight. Certainly doable though.

One thing I never pack is a groundsheet. I truly don't see the benefit for the extra weight even at 1-3 oz.

KH_bowfly

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll second the SO LBO. I got mine a couple years ago. I’m 5’6” and have used it solo bivy style, solo with and without stove, with my wife and with a 6’6” buddy and stove.

It’s not the lightest, but it’s one of the most versatile. I’m happy with it for its versatility.

I also have a bivy and MLD nest to use with it, depending on conditions. Sure glad I had the nest for a buggy fishing trip with my wife. She wasn’t the only one happy to have the nest...