Lightweight tent

OXN939

WKR
I have a Nemo hornet elite, super light double side doors. Did a really good job of handling hard winds, easy to pitch, pricey but worth it in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How long ya had it for? Any cons? Think I might pick one up for an early season backpack hunt in Alaska this year

sneaky

"DADDY"
How long ya had it for? Any cons? Think I might pick one up for an early season backpack hunt in Alaska this year
What kind of hunt in Alaska? Anything exposed to high winds will wreck that Hornet. That single pole over the body is small diameter and is the main reason that tent isn't freestanding. If I was doing something above treeline I'd find a different shelter.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I had Angie drop me off at the mexico border last March and I hiked part of the CDT desert section. I used our Eolus with a nest .. in Dyneema Composite Fabric (DCF). On one evening I shared a camp with someone that had a new Nemo that was pretty light (though it was heavier that the Eolus because they added a substantial ground cloth. The Eolus with nest is a complete double wall shelter with dual entrances.

Anyway .. it was a really windy night and that Nemo was probably 20 yards away and it kept waking me up making noise in the wind. The Eolus was fine. So maybe a tent can handle or survive some wind .. but it doesn't mean it is pleasurable.

AKLiving

FNG
I love my Seek Outside tents. The LBO+vestibule is huge (sleeping a family of 4) and under your weight limit. And they have other tents that I haven't tried but I'm sure they are just as great.

OXN939

WKR
So torn between options on tents. Looking for a sub 2.5 lb tent that has space for my gear and me. Looking at Nemo hornet but if I could get lighter and better I'd go for just torn because there are alot of good options.

Got my Hornet today and set her up for a quick op test. Initial impressions- if you're a big dude- say, over ~6', 200- you may want to consider another option. It's pretty tiny. Being a smaller dude, though, I think it's a great setup- thoughtfully designed, craftsmanship seems to be good and enough space for a minimalist kit.

More takeaways- they only send six stakes with it, presumably in a bid to be able to advertise that "under 2 pounds" number. My guess is that setting tents up like this precedes lot of the high wind failures seen in these things. Ultralight tents really *need* the extra 4 stakes and to be guyed out correctly to survive austere conditions, as the opposing pressure from the guy lines relieves some of the load the frame would be supporting by itself otherwise. With these additions, I think the Hornet is pretty robust for its size.

We'll see if I'm right or wrong here in a few months when this thing is in the middle of the Alaskan wilderness.

IMG_20200407_163514.jpg

sneaky

"DADDY"
I would test that out in high winds before I went to Alaska with it

sneaky

"DADDY"
And I've owned a hornet before

slim9300

WKR
Do you need a floor? I have an UltaMid 4 with full floor and bug mesh, and also the half floor with bug mesh. Obviously it can be used without a floor or with either insert. It has completely replaced my Sawtooth for two people unless I bring my Smith Stove along. I have even taken it solo when I want a ton of room.

The UltaMid 2 is only 1.17 pounds without floor and a palace for one. The half insert with floor adds 14.29 ounces. So with stakes and pole straps (I take and use 3) you would be under 2.5 pounds with a ton of room and a very capable shelter (more than the vast majority you are looking at assuming you have a decent set of trekking poles).

44d53970e141e4c8db209e637d59dfed.jpg

b5981ba563a8e50247799cf29c31b1aa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mmac

WKR
I really like my nemo hornet. Very light and compact, has handled some tough storms and would be tight for two, spacious for one.