Lightweight tripod set-up for shooting

thrash907

FNG
Can you explain the rope etc on this? maybe a demo or something. I know it has something to do with stabilizing your shot/recoil etc.
Here's @hereinaz 's the video explaining how to use.

I made a similar/lightweight setup for mountain hunting using a QD sling that attaches to my belt.

Lawnboi

WKR
do you guys feel like the weight of the tripod helps to dampen recoil?
I don’t care for the pivot point shooting attached to a tripod with something that makes some recoil. Even rifles with little recoil if I’m shootings attached I prefer to have some rear support. I can much more easily control recoil shooting off a tripod if I use a light bag on top of it, with or without a platform for it.

On top of that being directly attached makes it much easier to torque your rifle trying to get it just right, this usually results in a little more reticle movement with recoil.

Dobermann

WKR

Above is an awesome video for tripod shooters to watch, specifically because it highlights what I think is one of the most important aspects of shooting behind a tripod, and keeping your wobble down.

That and I think a lot of what they teach carries over from hunting weight rifles to heavy race guns.

When you figure out what needs to be done to nearly eliminate wobble things become significantly easier. Then recreating that in varying terrain becomes the challenge.
@Lawnboi: guessing you know this already - and your post was from nearly a year ago now - but Frank had a couple of critiques of this vid in a later podcast. Can't remember what episode, and from memory he didn't go into much detail ... but I think some of if was to do with how tripod techniques originated with less stable options, yet people are still using them unnecessarily (such as clipping in, and crossed support arms bracing against the rear leg) ... just thought I'd mention it in case you hadn't run across it.

Lawnboi

WKR
So now you guys are saying it’s not advantageous to clip in to a tripod?
I think it really depends on your equipment.

Light gun, light tripod, it’s a little more steady to clip in. It requires less equipment as well.
It’s still something I practice, but I greatly prefer shooting off a bag on the tripod now, especially with light table.

Reason being for the above is it’s easier to find tune while maintaining Your natural point of aim, I also find it easier to manage recoil off a bag vs attached

Bbell12

WKR
I think it really depends on your equipment.

Light gun, light tripod, it’s a little more steady to clip in. It requires less equipment as well.
It’s still something I practice, but I greatly prefer shooting off a bag on the tripod now, especially with light table.

Reason being for the above is it’s easier to find tune while maintaining Your natural point of aim, I also find it easier to manage recoil off a bag vs attached
That’s good info to know, what table/bag do you prefer? Looking at something I could also use to hunt with if possible.

Lawnboi

WKR
That’s good info to know, what table/bag do you prefer? Looking at something I could also use to hunt with if possible.

For a table that’s light I have a L3i break fast plate. I havnt carried it hunting big game yet, it’s a hair flimsy but the thing weighs nothing. Iv got a heavier aluminum plate I use for matches and varmints that’s rock solid.

For a bag I always have used a pint sized game changer with git lite. Works as a rear, and front bag. That has always been strapped to the outside of my pack. I just got a git lite schmedium to try, as I use a sand schmedium for match shooting, I think it’s going to be a winner.

The bag and plate is a decent shooting platform, you can use it for glassing, and it makes ranging accurately much easier but I’m not sure how useful it will be during a hunt, I guess it really depends on the type. In the field I’m usually trying to find something solid and natural to put my bag on like a rock or a log. The tripod is really a last resort for me.

It’s good to have options though.

I finally finished up the plate for the top of my tripod. Had an extra 4" Salmon river arca plate and found some 5x6" thick carbon fiber on Amazon. Ground a couple locknuts to fit in the radius of the ends so they wouldnt rotate and have a slim fairly lightweight platformPXL_20230522_205554203.jpgPXL_20230522_205604785.jpg

seand

Lil-Rokslider
Doesn’t have to be fancy. 1/2” plywood works fine. Fasten to an arca plate if you are running a ball head, alternatively drill and hammer a 3/8” tee nut and you can screw down direct to the tripod with no head.

My kid was training on the tripod last year clipped in with an anvil 30. Now she’s using a plate with a gamechanger bag on top and much prefers it to just the bag on the tripod or directly attaching to the anvil. She shoots as well off either, I shoot a little better clipped in but I can’t manage recoil as well as with a bag.
IMG_1796.jpegIMG_1795.jpeg

I am new to this forum, and so far this has been the most helpful thread I’ve found. Thanks to everyone for all of the information. It’s been a huge help for someone just getting into lrh.