Lightweight tripod set-up for shooting

tak

WKR
I went with the “L” because it was only 5 oz heavier, I can glass standing with binos or a straight spotter and I have more deployment options on steep terrain. To me, the 24L with anvil 30 is the jack of all trades.

Good deal, thanks!

Jakeweb09

WKR
So i bought the ascend with integrated head and the head broke on it, I want to get a anvil 30 but not sure how you’re mounting it? Guys are saying direct mount, but what hardware is holding it on? Is it what they call the bolt latch?

Lawnboi

WKR
So i bought the ascend with integrated head and the head broke on it, I want to get a anvil 30 but not sure how you’re mounting it? Guys are saying direct mount, but what hardware is holding it on? Is it what they call the bolt latch?
You have a couple options. They make a center column that it screws on, or you can ditch the center column and use a screw and washer to snug it down in the taper. RRS should be able to get you squared away with any needed hardware.

I’m using an anvil on an ascend with no center column, ordered it that way, as I already had the anvil.

Jakeweb09

WKR
You have a couple options. They make a center column that it screws on, or you can ditch the center column and use a screw and washer to snug it down in the taper. RRS should be able to get you squared away with any needed hardware.

I’m using an anvil on an ascend with no center column, ordered it that way, as I already had the anvil.

Thanks! Ordered it without the column. I’ll send the other head back to RRS for repair, but too close to the hunt to risk not having it back. I do like having the short post on with extension off for some quick elevation adjustments especially while glassing. So I’ll probably get one of the platform posts and might sell the integrated ball head

HighnDry

FNG
My current setup is a 2vets No Name and RRS TA-3 leveling head. The setup is 4lbs 10 oz and is very stable. I've been pretty happy with it, but it's a little heavy. Is there a recommendation for a lighter tripod that will still offer pretty good stability and will accept a leveling head vs a ball head? Looking around, it seems that around 4 lbs is about average with a leveling head.

Thanks! Ordered it without the column. I’ll send the other head back to RRS for repair, but too close to the hunt to risk not having it back. I do like having the short post on with extension off for some quick elevation adjustments especially while glassing. So I’ll probably get one of the platform posts and might sell the integrated ball head
From my perspective:
Glassing off a ball head.....sucks!
Shooting off a panning head.....sucks!

My solution has been to glass with a panning head (Sirui VA-5) mounted to a full length center column (RRS Ascend 14L). Combined with carrying a RRS Anvil 30 (with bolt, washer and allen wrench) on my pack’s waist belt (Marsupial Gear 'small zippered pouch' ....works great).

When a shooting situation presents itself, generally, you’ll have time and opportunity to pull the ‘glassing’ center column/panning head out of the legs and attach the Anvil 30, using the bolt and washer. This can be done in under a minute.

If you don’t have time to do this...you’re prolly looking at a closer range shot and could use another, hastier, option for supporting the rifle. An example would be....throwing an Armageddon Gear Pint Sized Game Changer (filled with Git-Lite fill) over the top of your panning head and then you'd still be able to shoot off your tripod.

An example of all of this coming together, played out on this years' moose hunt. We glassed from a ridge, using the panning head, for 5 days before we found a bull we wanted to kill. Before the stalk began.....I swapped the center column for the Anvil 30. During the stalk, which lasted about an hour, we relocated/kept tabs on the bull using a pair of 12x binos mounted to the Anvil 30. Because my spotting scope plates and binocular adapters are Arca-Swiss compatible....it's easy to go back and forth with different head types. Once we got within range of the bull...the rifle was direct connected to the tripod.

We were in waist -to- shoulder height brush, the entire stalk, once we left the ridge top.

If I have to choose between carrying the extra weight of an Anvil 30 or a bipod.....there's no doubt it'll be the Anvil 30.

I would've hated glassing all day, for 5 days straight, with the Anvil 30 and wouldn't have wanted to shoot off the Sirui pan head when given an opportunity at a bull. Honestly, swapping back and forth between heads is no big deal.243EB078-492B-472C-B521-49CA20391023.jpeg

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Hey Dave, one thing you might consider in your system is replacing the bolt/washer/wrench with a bolt that has a wing nut or knob welded or epoxied to it and eliminate the wrench. Lots of traditional bows use a knob like this for easy take down in the field.

7AB150CC-F602-4C49-8121-CF0FA68371B8.jpeg

039BDFDF-8D55-406E-A532-41308173EBC4.jpeg

Hey Dave, one thing you might consider in your system is replacing the bolt/washer/wrench with a bolt that has a wing nut or knob welded or epoxied to it and eliminate the wrench. Lots of traditional bows use a knob like this for easy take down in the field.

View attachment 348406

View attachment 348408
That is a great idea. Thank you very much for sharing it!!

ihuntsolo

FNG
Thanks! Thunderbird is actually me... I am not a sponsor, yet, so that's all I will say.

I think I can say that also sew the awesome Hunter's Wedge that Broz from Long Range Only sells and the Mini version is Ryan Avery's new favorite bag. There is no doubt the Mini version is the absolute best field bag for prone shooting. And, one of my videos shooting off a tripod you can see I used the full size Hunter's Wedge filled with Git-Lite. I carried it for miles in the miserable Alaska tundra, and it was worth it. The Mini is even better for packing cause it cuts weight but gives amazing support. Go buy one from Broz!
interested in buying your mini tacky with Git lite. What is the weight? Also how heavy is the Tacky sack II with git lite? water resistant?

MTNHUNTER76

Lil-Rokslider
Leofoto 284c with lh30 is a good, fairly lightweight tripod. I believe it's under 3 lbs. I own rrs and other leofoto tripods for prs which are both too heavy for mountain hunting. I'm happy with the 284c lh 30 combo for a good all around shooting/glassing tripod. Several companies make shorty arca rails you can attach to your stock/chassis for a solid connection.

sargent

WKR
I am looking for the lightest tripod I can accurately shoot off. I will be shooting a Kimber Hunter .308 that weighs about 6.5 lbs fully loaded. I ordered this 3" rail and plan to fasten it to the plastic stock just in front of the magazine on the Kimber. I ordered two tripods and will return one once I get a chance to check them out. The first one is the Leofoto LS-224c with LH-25 head, the second is the Sirui AM-225 with a B-00K ball head. Weight and maximum load is about equal, but the Sirui head pans and the Leofoto one doesn't (might be easier to get on target with the Leofoto?) and the Sirui legs adjust to three positions while the Leofoto offers two positions.

Which one would you tripod shooters go with?

I am looking for the lightest tripod I can accurately shoot off. I will be shooting a Kimber Hunter .308 that weighs about 6.5 lbs fully loaded. I ordered this 3" rail and plan to fasten it to the plastic stock just in front of the magazine on the Kimber. I ordered two tripods and will return one once I get a chance to check them out. The first one is the Leofoto LS-224c with LH-25 head, the second is the Sirui AM-225 with a B-00K ball head. Weight and maximum load is about equal, but the Sirui head pans and the Leofoto one doesn't (might be easier to get on target with the Leofoto?) and the Sirui legs adjust to three positions while the Leofoto offers two positions.

I had a leofoto lq-284c and even that had a lot of wobble when attached to a rifle. Those weight ratings are for a point load of that weight right at the apex, not 6.5lbs on a 2ft long lever.

A small platform clamped into the head and a bag on top seems to dampen a lot of wind wiggle and give a solid shooting platform.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

How far are you shooting?

Bottom line is that lightweight tripods with center columns can work fine if you are shooting inside 450 yards. Beyond that, there is a lot of wobble and a slight breeze will catch the rifle and bipod and introduce wobble, even if you keep them low. Extended out, it’s hard to shoot off of them with legs full extended. Realistically, the last two smallest leg sections can’t be extended without more wobble than I would want.

I have a small tripod like that, but if I am going to shoot beyond 500 I carry a heavier one.

sargent

WKR
400 yards is my max range with this rifle and my current ability level. I would use either of these tripods without the center column for seated glassing and shooting. Do you think they'd help my shooting or should I just work on getting better shooting off my pack at that distance?

sargent

WKR
I got both tripods and will be keeping the Leofoto. I like the four section legs better. The fifth section of the Sirui legs is tiny (looks like a carbon arrow). Dry firing at the house with a bag on top of my bino adapter, the Leofoto setup feels steadier than shooting off my pack in the seated position. I'll shoot a Kraft drill soon to see how much it shows up on paper. I'm still on the fence about whether or not to mount an arca plate on my rifle or just use the bag.

Lawnboi

WKR
I got both tripods and will be keeping the Leofoto. I like the four section legs better. The fifth section of the Sirui legs is tiny (looks like a carbon arrow). Dry firing at the house with a bag on top of my bino adapter, the Leofoto setup feels steadier than shooting off my pack in the seated position. I'll shoot a Kraft drill soon to see how much it shows up on paper. I'm still on the fence about whether or not to mount an arca plate on my rifle or just use the bag.
Attachment might help a rifle that light. Also depends on what bag your using on top.

slowelk

WKR
interested in buying your mini tacky with Git lite. What is the weight? Also how heavy is the Tacky sack II with git lite? water resistant?

The Mini Tacky is a solid piece of gear, and is a very versatile field bag. I've used it on my tripod head to support my rifle and as a rear bag. I do wish it came slightly more filled though.

Also, @hereinaz is an awesome guy - great person and great to work with.

slowelk

WKR

I haven't wanted to commit to an arca plate on any of my rifles, but have been using different bags on my tripod head to see what works. I've shot off the Thunderbird Long Range mini tacky, the armageddon gear sticky pintsized game changer, and the SAP run n' gun bag. The sticky pint-sized game changer is the most solid, but it's 20oz with git-lite. The run n' gun or the mini tacky will be what I carry this season - both under 10oz.

The photo is 100 yard group off my tripod with the pint-sized over my leofoto mr q with a sirui va-5 head using my pack as a rear support.
I'm no TK or Lawnboi, but that'll hunt.

Attachments

• C06EBBD7-AA34-41CB-9DB5-71877331E6D6.jpeg
    C06EBBD7-AA34-41CB-9DB5-71877331E6D6.jpeg
    197.8 KB · Views: 55

slowelk

WKR
Is that group sitting, kneeling, standing or a combination? Build and breaks or single position? Just curious.

I agree that that the PS GC is really stable and that is what I typically use when shooting. For hunting, I carry a Sap Run & Gun in the field for either a rear bag or front support on tree branch, rock, fence post/railing, etc. It's a compromise, but at only +/- 6.5 oz I prefer it to the PS GC.

If you're keeping that Sirui va-5 head, I wouldn't direct mount a rifle. Pan heads are a complete pain to direct mount and most hunting panheads are not going to be stable enough to support a rifle without fighting it.

All sitting, legs spread, pack between legs as rear support. Reset probably 3 times in that group. Not sure on total time, but no more than two minutes I’d say.

I’ve commented, and you’ve replied to me before on my preference on a fluid head and dislike of a ball head for hunting. I agree that locking in with a fluid head is not a good idea. I’ve been pretty happy with my progress using the va-5 as a platform for a bag.