Lightweight tripod set-up for shooting

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What makes a functional difference is the total weight rating. Other than that, pick the height, number of leg sections, etc. Of the weight rating you want. The higher weight rating the more stability, and where it really matters is standing or other extended leg positions.
Found this on snipesrhide

Apparently, you can attach the Series 3 Tripod Anvil-30 Platform to the Leofoto "with 364 legs" because they have a 75mm bowl. This setup gives you the perfect adapter for the Anvil 30.

I did some browsing on Leofoto's site and they offer a ton of different models. Looks like anything with a 3XX nomenclature in the model number will have a 75mm bowl. 362, 363, 364, 365, etc, etc Check out this chart of the LM models

Has anyone done this with the RRS Series 3 adapter plate on a Leofoto tripod?

Does anyone have a recommendation on what Leofoto model to get?

Found this on snipesrhide

Apparently, you can attach the Series 3 Tripod Anvil-30 Platform to the Leofoto "with 364 legs" because they have a 75mm bowl. This setup gives you the perfect adapter for the Anvil 30.

I did some browsing on Leofoto's site and they offer a ton of different models. Looks like anything with a 3XX nomenclature in the model number will have a 75mm bowl. 362, 363, 364, 365, etc, etc Check out this chart of the LM models

Has anyone done this with the RRS Series 3 adapter plate on a Leofoto tripod?

Does anyone have a recommendation on what Leofoto model to get?
TBH this just further proves how much leofoto is ripping RRS off.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
TBH this just further proves how much leofoto is ripping RRS off.
Leofoto clearly is copying RRS. Its a cutthroat world out there. Its the free market American way. Unfortunately it enriches the Chinese.

But, can anyone confirm the 75mm bowl is sort of a standard? If it is, I think that might be what I have on my Feisol.

I think it might be like the RRS dovetail standard is really just a more specific ARCA standard.

I don't get into the weeds on the details of what is cross compatible. I barely remember what I have, lol.

tdbaugha

FNG
I’ve seen multiple that have the 75mm bowl. The innorel 90 has one. I’d like to know if that RRS adapter works on any 75mm bowl.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Anyone check out or use one of the ranger class leofoto tripods. Those look like a sweet compact setup.
At this point, my advice is to just check the specs and operation of the tripods to compare. Get the version if it meets your specs and you see reviews of a close enough version. Most of the manufacturing kinks seem to be worked out, especially on the cheap "premium", lol, chinese versions like Leofoto. I've looked at the specs and those are the more compact apex that Leofoto makes, so they are nicer in a lot of ways. I don't think there will be a whole lot of difference in the legs and lock system from one series to another within similar Leofoto tripods. You can compare the total weight rating, not that it tells you much except the higher weight rating the steadier it is shooting.

Any tripod I get from here on out will very likely have the smaller apex. It saves a little weight and packs smaller. Given how much more specialized the companies are pushing shooting tripods, I will probably wait a little. The new RRS shooting specific tripod looks interesting.

I also have to try to figure out how to solve the problem with my height. I don't want to carry a giant tripod that is tall enough for me to glass. I am probably gonna work out something with a center column for my binos. I get tired of it being just a little too short.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I caved, got an rrs ascend tripod with a anvil head base. Finally my anvil will have the proper legs.

Iv never shot off a 1 series rrs tripod but couldn’t help but go that route for the weight savings.
jealous...

I have one of the artcise rt90 tripods from Amazon and it's similar to the leofoto 404. What an absolute tank. Ditching it for something I can justify packing.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have one of the artcise rt90 tripods from Amazon and it's similar to the leofoto 404. What an absolute tank. Ditching it for something I can justify packing.
Its robust! I ditched the bowl on the one I got. Drilled out the plate to lighten it. It can be hard to justify it. As I get better and better with the tripod, I can get by with a little less stability. Not sure what I will end up with myself.

Its robust! I ditched the bowl on the one I got. Drilled out the plate to lighten it. It can be hard to justify it. As I get better and better with the tripod, I can get by with a little less stability. Not sure what I will end up with myself.
It is one of those paradoxes that the best gear is only what you actually bring with you. If your hunting and you always shed weight by leaving it in the truck, you might as well not have it. I got it more for my spotting scope to be steady in this wyoming wind at matches. But I think I could get by with just hanging a 30lb backpack on one meant to hold 45 rather than the 88lbs that guy is rated for.

dwent

FNG
Not the smartest financial decision Iv ever made....

I should have never shot off an rrs at a match.
I’m right there with you. Just received my RRS Acend 14L yesterday w/Anvil. I can’t believe I just spent that much on a tripod setup, but it is still less than what I’ve spent on most rifles. It is also solid and as others have stated over and over again, it’s the best of the best. The Ascend is about as narrow as a center column tripod gets and the modularity of it is pretty great. You can cut the center column down to 4” or so by detaching most of it, saving about six ounces and letting you run it close to the ground for prone shooting. You can also take the column out completely and run the anvil direct in the apex to shave of a better part of a pound in total. I could see myself using it like this for an extended day at the range but the whole reason I went with the ascend is because glassing without a center column was a non-starter for me.

They aren’t cheap, but some times you just gotta pay to get what you really want. I can also sleep good knowing that I didn’t buy a copycat from a company that would have been sued 10 times over if they were beholden to any patent or copyright laws.

Last edited:

rdbse

FNG
Started with Slik medium and XL tripods from Precision Rifle Solutions and using different heads and plates they offer. Moved to Nightstalker tripod from Nightgoggles and Kopfjager reaper grip, but was never satisfied with this setup. Weight = 6.5 lbs.
Now using RRS TFCT-33 tripod with Anvil-30 and wish I started with this set up. I like the Anvil can mount both Arca and picatinny rails. Standing you can easily make hits on 66% IPSC targets at 700 yards. RRS is worth the money. Weight less than 5 lbs. Supper solid

Not the smartest financial decision Iv ever made....

I should have never shot off an rrs at a match.
I’ve had a few cheap tripods over the years that were worthless. I’ve given them away, thrown away and donated, all wasted money. My RRS I’m sure will be passed down to a grandkid. That thing is an investment LOL

Lawnboi

WKR
I’m right there with you. Just received my RRS Acend 14L yesterday w/Anvil. I can’t believe I just spent that much on a tripod setup, but it is still less than what I’ve spent on most rifles. It is also solid and as others have stated over and over again, it’s the best of the best. The Ascend is about as narrow as a center column tripod gets and the modularity of it is pretty great. You can cut the center column down to 4” or so by detaching most of it, saving about six ounces and letting you run it close to the ground for prone shooting. You can also take the column out completely and run the anvil direct in the apex to shave of a better part of a pound in total. I could see myself using it like this for an extended day at the range but the whole reason I went with the ascend is because glassing without a center column was a non-starter for me.

They aren’t cheap, but some times you just gotta pay to get what you really want. I can also sleep good knowing that I didn’t buy a copycat from a company that would have been sued 10 times over if they were beholden to any patent or copyright laws.
I actually have an anvil already. So I ordered the tripod without looking center column, as I’m not a fan of center columns. Going to run the anvil direct. Should be pretty light and hopefully steady enough for a hunting rifle.

It was hard to slap down the money. But I use my tripod all time. Shooting matches, range time, glassing archery, it goes with more than a lot of my other gear.

tdbaugha

FNG
Does anyone know what size bowl the RRS series 2 uses?
I was trying to find what tripods the 2 series adapter fits, but it doesn’t look like there are any. So the only option for mounting the anvil to a tripod smaller than the 75mm bowl variety are simply screwing it down with some locktite. Either that or buying a full RRS setup.

Lawnboi

WKR
It’s here. RRS ascend, no center column with an anvil. 3lb 5oz. I’m 5’6 and it’s just tall enough for me to shoot standing on flat ground. Hair short for standing glassing, but I bought it knowing standing is of little priority for me in the field. Can tell a huge difference in stability over my pig lite tripod that was over a pound more. It’s super compact. Warmer weather is on the way, can’t wait to shoot off it. No more head spinning off the stud. Seems about perfect so far for a combo shooter/hunter tripod.
C0959B44-8100-489A-BECA-4551E33EC676.jpeg7854C557-E302-418F-8220-0E34459A690F.jpegE3BF23B8-98F4-40C2-8261-9349B174657C.jpeg

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It’s here. RRS ascend, no center column with an anvil. 3lb 5oz. I’m 5’6 and it’s just tall enough for me to shoot standing on flat ground. Hair short for standing glassing, but I bought it knowing standing is of little priority for me in the field. Can tell a huge difference in stability over my pig lite tripod that was over a pound more. It’s super compact. Warmer weather is on the way, can’t wait to shoot off it. No more head spinning off the stud. Seems about perfect so far for a combo shooter/hunter tripod.
View attachment 269521View attachment 269522View attachment 269523
Nice!. that's a perfect hunting set up for someone who glasses sitting down.