Lightweight tripod set-up for shooting

Lawnboi

WKR
You guys with your 1 series tripods are killin me.. wondering if I went wrong with the 24L
I wonder if I should have gone with the 24. This tripod will mainly be used with hunting rifles and glassing but I may carry it along to a few matches.

I think I’ll be happy with it for primarily hunting and glassing.

bradb

WKR
Lawnboi
I just think we need to get together and shoot in a next few weeks off the 34 and the ascent.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I can't go smaller, cause I glass standing often, and it gives me stability for shooting so one more pound is no big deal for most hunts. My tripod is at 4.8 pounds.

If I do a high altitude elevation heart stopper hunt, I will pull the last section of legs. Or, get an Ascent. Every ounce counts.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I wonder if I should have gone with the 24. This tripod will mainly be used with hunting rifles and glassing but I may carry it along to a few matches.

I think I’ll be happy with it for primarily hunting and glassing.

Don't regret it for a second.

If I were shorter, I would have no problem with that tripod for everything.

As far as stability. I ran a chinese tripod that was less stable on a $25 head. That set up is awesome.

Our club in Harris, MN has PRS club level and NRL22 matches basically monthly starting in April. Hoping to shoot a couple this year.

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
Got to shoot off the ascend today. Standing it’s still a little short for me, but doable in a pinch.

Seated this thing is like cheating. 600$ better than my other setup, don’t think so, but it is unreal how steady this tripod locks up.

Cant wait to start pushing the range.

Surprisingly I could tell an even bigger difference in the tripod while shooting a bag on top, compared to my pig lite. This tripod didn’t give up much when seated with a bag on it, where as the pig lite flexed quite a bit.

Overall very happy with it. Still want a 34 with leveling base for matches, and range work, but that won’t be happening for a long time.

Last edited:

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Got to shoot off the ascend today. Standing it’s still a little short for me, but doable in a pinch.

Seated this thing is like cheating. 600$ better than my other setup, don’t think so, but it is unreal how steady this tripod locks up.

Cant wait to start pushing the range.

Surprisingly I could tell an even bigger difference in the tripod while shooting a bag on top, compared to my pig lite. This tripod didn’t give up much when seated with a bag on it, where as the pig lite flexed quite a bit.

Overall very happy with it. Still want a 34 with leveling base for matches, and range work, but that won’t be happening for a long time.
Great report

How light of a tripod can be used? I was looking at getting a tripod that had a max load of 8 lbs.. is that too light to shoot a rifle off of?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Define "can be used".

You can use it, but if the weight rating is less than the gun, its gonna wobble a lot.

If you are buying one for usable shooting, get as high a weight rating as you can. I could use one that was like 40 pound limit.
How light of a tripod can be used? I was looking at getting a tripod that had a max load of 8 lbs.. is that too light to shoot a rifle off of?

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
That's awesome. Once you go with a good tripod, you don't go back. The versatility is exactly why I went with a stiff tripod.

In the end, there is no better way to make a long range shot with guaranteed precision and accuracy than a good tripod when the rifle is clipped in. Having shot PRS, you just get aware of what can be done in 90 seconds...

I carry my tripod, Mini Tacky, and this big bag. It is fillled with a lightweight bead. It is squishy kinda like the white foam beads, but it is better and doesn't crush ovee time.

The big bag I sit on glassing, pillow at night, and use it to stuff under my elbow when shooting on the tripod. I only leave it if I am gonna go really ultralight.

View attachment 244585

I have so many questions...

1. Where did you get that big bag? I did not see it in the Thunderbird site.

And the rest of these are for all you tripod guys:

2. If you have an Arca adapter mounted on your stock, you don’t need all these bags, right?

3. Is it imperative to have the Arca adapter near the balance point of the rifle or can you have it mounted forward on the forend out near the sling swivel.

I always have my tripod when I’m hunting so would like to make it multi purpose if possible.

bradb

WKR
No bags are needed. Of course rear support be it a bag, knee, trecking pole ect always helps adding stability. I like the plate close to balance point, but have shot a buddies gun with a pic rail in the front, it was fine.
This was yesterday all shot sitting, most with no rear support, 4 different guns, 2 different loads in one gun. One gun is a sub 8lb 280ai, the others just over 10lbs.
Had set vital target in front of the big steel for seeing misses. Couldn't get to my 1000 yard spot so only 445. Did miss with 2 shots in the spot high with 22br.
Remember I am only a so so shot. But this is easy to do off these set ups

Attachments

• 20210304_102058.jpg
    20210304_102058.jpg
    406.6 KB · Views: 102
  • 20210304_100640.jpg
    20210304_100640.jpg
    487.2 KB · Views: 102

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I do not have it listed yet. Still tweaking design.

At first, I put one just in front of my mag, heavy in the rear by a smidge. You want the rifle balanced, or tiny rear heavy. If you go prone with the tripod, up front works.

I eventually went full ARCA and left the bipod behind. 20210302_072340.jpg20210302_072340.jpg

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
No bags are needed. Of course rear support be it a bag, knee, trecking pole ect always helps adding stability. I like the plate close to balance point, but have shot a buddies gun with a pic rail in the front, it was fine.
This was yesterday all shot sitting, most with no rear support, 4 different guns, 2 different loads in one gun. One gun is a sub 8lb 280ai, the others just over 10lbs.
Had set vital target in front of the big steel for seeing misses. Couldn't get to my 1000 yard spot so only 445. Did miss with 2 shots in the spot high with 22br.
Remember I am only a so so shot. But this is easy to do off these set ups

That's good shooting. With a little technique, it is definitely within reason to hit vital sized targets inside 500 yards off a tripod. Thats basically a 2 moa shot.

With practice, tips and tricks on top of technique, moa out to 1000 is doable.

Lawnboi

WKR
I have so many questions...

And the rest of these are for all you tripod guys:

2. If you have an Arca adapter mounted on your stock, you don’t need all these bags, right?

3. Is it imperative to have the Arca adapter near the balance point of the rifle or can you have it mounted forward on the forend out near the sling swivel.

I always have my tripod when I’m hunting so would like to make it multi purpose if possible.

Direct attachment is way better than a bag with a hunting weight rifle. This is magnified if you’re tripod isn’t designed to handle the weight of a rifle plus a bag. A bag is also one more thing you have to grab to make the shot. A direct connect is quick and easy. My RRS anvil ball head allows it to clip to picatinny or arca on a rifle.

I prefer it as close to the mag well as possible. You don’t see anyone in the competitive circuits shooting off barricades or anything with the front of their fore end. I’m a little different I prefer a little nose heavy if anything, hate a butt heavy rifle.

With my setup, hitting 2moa plates is stupid easy with my 9lb suppressed creedmoor. Less than that takes a little more.