Lightweight tripod set-up for shooting

Lawnboi

WKR
Nice!. that's a perfect hunting set up for someone who glasses sitting down.
Good thing is it’s got the ascend apex, so if I want the center column, I can get one and use it. At 5’6 I don’t see it being used much though. This is also the ascend compact, they make an ascend L as well.

dwent

FNG
Got mine out to the range on Saturday also. Mine is the longer version. I haven’t shot with it sans the column yet. It is stupid stable for its weight. If I’m going for benchrest stability and trying to shoot 1/4” groups, grabbing a trekking pole in my off hand and supporting the rear with that makes it rock solid. Far from necessary though.

Attachments

• FF1BD5C0-4C2A-40F2-8ED2-2AB4645C8F61.jpeg
    FF1BD5C0-4C2A-40F2-8ED2-2AB4645C8F61.jpeg
    489.7 KB · Views: 110
  • CD22323B-DBDA-4E5B-9E3D-E37A352B83D5.jpeg
    CD22323B-DBDA-4E5B-9E3D-E37A352B83D5.jpeg
    571.9 KB · Views: 109

Lawnboi

WKR
Got mine out to the range on Saturday also. Mine is the longer version. I haven’t shot with it sans the column yet. It is stupid stable for its weight. If I’m going for benchrest stability and trying to shoot 1/4” groups, grabbing a trekking pole in my off hand and supporting the rear with that makes it rock solid. Far from necessary though.

Jealous of the grass.... havnt gotten to shoot on that since December.

RRS sent a washer and bolt for attaching the anvil direct, snugs up tight in the taper. Without the column I can get the thing lower than I think I’d ever need to the ground.

I think they are going to sell a boat load of these to hunters. I could see this easily being a one support solution for hunting, and leaving the bipod at home.

dwent

FNG

RRS sent a washer and bolt for attaching the anvil direct, snugs up tight in the taper. Without the column I can get the thing lower than I think I’d ever need to the ground.

I think they are going to sell a boat load of these to hunters. I could see this easily being a one support solution for hunting, and leaving the bipod at home.
Yeah, I have no intention of bringing a bipod with me. I have the washer as well. It goes low enough even with the shortened platform. It is undoubtedly even more stable direct attached. I still like a little center column for glassing. I like that I can attach the Outdoorsman mount on an arca plate that's no bigger than the bottom of the mount itself. Glassing with the anvil isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I still miss a fixed pan but the tension level is so sensitive that it works just fine for me purposes.

bradb

WKR
Dang it stop with the post you guys are going to cost me a lot of money! I carried a anvil and 34 legs on my Dall hunt and shedding a couple pounds is tempting

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Amen! I preach to master the tripod and leave the bipod at home. Tripod will become a necessary shooting accessory in the field.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
4lb 13z on a cheap scale
That Ascent is lighter than any other typical tripod and bipod combo. Mine currently isn't far off yours, and it is still lighter than the bipod and glassing tripod of anyone I personally know.

I know if I ditch the monopod I was using for glassing and my bipod I had strapped to my rifle that's 2lbs gone at least and replaced with 4lbs that will more than double the number of shots I can take. Sagebrush is worthless to brace against...

bradb

WKR
I have been all in on tripods for hunting for a few years now. Got into a couple spots where couldn't go prone and my seated set up wasn't very stable, so searched for a better solution. Love my current set up, just like the idea of shedding a couple pounds for some hunts

dwent

FNG
It really feels like cheating. I am hoping to take out a 10” steel gong and see how far I can push the 300PRC out. I have to caveat my experience in that this is my first tripod for shooting. Prior to that it was bag, pack, trekking poles, bipod, etc..., but with this setup I was able to hold dead still on a 4” tree branch that was 850 yards out, while in a sitting position like I have it in the photo with the magneto speed on the rifle. Even with the long version and full center column and anvil it is 4 pounds 4 ounces. I could lose most of a pound by ditching the center column entirely if I go that route down the road but I probably won’t. A pound in the pack is different than a pound on the rifle. I’d rather burn a pound of fat off my gut.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It really feels like cheating. I am hoping to take out a 10” steel gong and see how far I can push the 300PRC out. I have to caveat my experience in that this is my first tripod for shooting. Prior to that it was bag, pack, trekking poles, bipod, etc..., but with this setup I was able to hold dead still on a 4” tree branch that was 850 yards out, while in a sitting position like I have it in the photo with the magneto speed on the rifle. Even with the long version and full center column and anvil it is 4 pounds 4 ounces. I could lose most of a pound by ditching the center column entirely if I go that route down the road but I probably won’t. A pound in the pack is different than a pound on the rifle. I’d rather burn a pound of fat off my gut.
Pic didn't load. Love to see it.

That's my experience, super solid. I did a video today and was holding .2 mil with no support but the tripod.

Pic didn't load. Love to see it.

That's my experience, super solid. I did a video today and was holding .2 mil with no support but the tripod.
I think he was referring to his pic in post 124.

BTW I went back thru the thread and saw the video you posted on the top of page 2 showing how you setup yourself and your tripod for shooting. Very helpful since otherwise this is going to be a self taught adventure learning to shoot off a tripod this year.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I think he was referring to his pic in post 124.

BTW I went back thru the thread and saw the video you posted on the top of page 2 showing how you setup yourself and your tripod for shooting. Very helpful since otherwise this is going to be a self taught adventure learning to shoot off a tripod this year.
I will be doing a lot of videos. There are really none in a thorough manner explaining it. Hope they help you as much as the other.

I will go back to his post. Thanks.

You guys with your 1 series tripods are killin me.. wondering if I went wrong with the 24L

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
One thing about tripod shooting, more than other positions, is getting the recoil management down consistent. It is easy to change POI just by minor tweaks and forces on a tripod. Zero is rarely the same as prone on a bag. The 300 prc can exploit it. Holding is one thing, managing recoil is another. But, holding is the first part. You can learn to get behind it pretty easily. Practice is another thing...

dwent

FNG
One thing about tripod shooting, more than other positions, is getting the recoil management down consistent. It is easy to change POI just by minor tweaks and forces on a tripod. Zero is rarely the same as prone on a bag. The 300 prc can exploit it. Holding is one thing, managing recoil is another. But, holding is the first part. You can learn to get behind it pretty easily. Practice is another thing...
I can see that for sure. I was doing load development on sat and I always wear eye pro when working up a load. The stability of the setup lulled me into a feeling of not needing to really press my shoulder into the rifle and the PRC then proceeded to remind me that it was really a bad idea by smashing my eye pro into my face. Even with a brake and four pounds of tripod attached that thing has some kick when lobbing 220s down range. Those are self correcting mistakes.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Since I bought a 24L with Anvil30, I've been wondering if I should've just went with a 3 series, LOL. The 3 series will be more stable than a 2 series and the 2 series is more stable than the 1 series. The 1 series is a much more niche tripod, whereas the 2 series is a much better jack-of-all-trades tripod. And as already mentioned, an additional pound strapped to your bag isn't very noticeable anyways.
I want one of each...