Lightweight water bottle for Kifaru pouch

I'm running a 32oz gatorade bottle in my Kifaru bottle pouch. My issue is that the molded shape of the bottle really grabs the material tightly. Its hard to quickly pull the bottle, drink, and replace. I'm thinking a bottle with smooth sides (like a Nalgene or plastic mayo bottle) would work better.

Does anyone have a good alternative to a gatorade bottle?

Criteria
-lightweight (Nalgene = too heavy compared to gatorade bottle)
-smooth sides to get in/out pouch relatively easily
-32oz or larger
-maybe threads that would match the prefilter from my steripen?

-maybe i should look at cycling water bottles? other ideas?

JD619er

WKR
Nalgene has other bottles that are half the weight of their regular bottles. For some reason I think they're the hdpe version? I have like four of them

zloomis

Lil-Rokslider
40 Below makes a bottle that is around half the weight of most Nalgenes. Similar in weight to the one JD619er is talking about. Still heavier than a Gatorade bottle but a good compromise. Also a good option if you do a lot of cold weather activities.

1 liter container salvaged off a pre-filled water bottle may be what you are looking for. I use the same Gatorade container in my Kifaru bottle holder and am planning to find a better large option this year as well. Keep us posted if you find the right one.

OP
shoeshineman
I ended up going with a 48oz hdpe Nalgene "silo" model. I ran it full of water in the Kifaru bottle holder on the standard Lite frame belt this weekend and it was great! I did some side-hilling/up&down/and rock scrambling at it is a champ! I was worried that the weight would pull on my belt and/or I would hit my arm on the extended height during my stride. Neither of those happened. It is very easy to get in/out of the holder. I'm thinking this is my ideal setup (except for the weight diff over the Gatorade).
Wide mouth = easy to fill / easy to steripen / easy to drink
Tall = extra capacity
Durable = can run as a hot water bottle in the bag at night, drop into rocks and survive, etc

micus

Lil-Rokslider
the 1.5L evian gas station plastic water bottle fits well. You can crinkle it up and flatten it out/fold it into your pack for later if you wanna refil it in a lake or stream. Weighs nothing, lasts years (450 years to biodegrade?) and costs about $1.50 filled with purified water.

fishslap

WKR
I use the light weight version of the nalgene. I don’t want something crinkly and I like the wide mouth. The light weight one is opaque/white vs clear. You could cut the lid strap off to save a fraction of an ounce if you wanted to.

KevinDTX

FNG
1 L Aquafina 1.25 oz. stored in gonex brand holder on pack. like Has been 71E6D4CD-B372-494A-8929-2D78D9C8893F.jpeg519BDEAE-58A3-4879-9769-4392FC68812B.jpeg5702989D-D0F7-4FDC-B3C2-B9BD39FCF706.jpegmentioned before I like to just pick whatever works from the convenience store water or Gatorade. Just not the light crinkly bottles. Rest of water in collapsible bags. I Personally hate bladders. I like knowing exactly how much water I have at all times and like to be able to monitor consumption. I’ve also been burned more than once by a leaky bladder.

Wolf13

FNG
I use smart water bottles due to their height and ability to work well with a sawyer squeeze. Anything with design is both effective and cheap!

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
Ditch the kifaru pouch entirely imo. I really like the maxpedition xbp. Can fit anything from a slim bottle like a smartwater bottle all the way up to a regular nalgene.

Clarence

WKR
I had been seeing thru hikers on the a/t using smart water bottles for a few years...there is a reason, slim profile easy to grab, durable, compatible with Sawyer's (if that matters to you), lightweight, and come filled!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

WTFJohn

WKR
Josh, check out the HDPE Nalgene & the HydraPak bladders, they are what I switched to a while back and have been really happy with. You're welcome to check them out sometime if you want to before ordering.

Just a heads up on your current setup; the Steripen won't technically sterilize 1.5L of water on a single cycle. Augment the below setup with a MSR Dromedary/similar at camp and you'll have all the water you need.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6bfa.jpg