Lightweights

Cody66

FNG
First off I'd like to say this is my first post so a little about me I'm an avid outdoorsman who spends as much time as possible outside now thats out of the way I'm looking into either buying or building a "lightweight" rifle my budget is around 1500 to 2000 CAD max just wondering what opinions are had on what to buy/build this rifle will primarily be for deer and sheep as my 300 weatherby handles everything larger, im havnt completely decided what i want the rifle to be chambered in yet either, any help is appreciated.cheers

OP
Cody66

Cody66

FNG
Thanks for the replys, I didn't even know there was a lightweight forum ill check that out, cheers

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
Is your budget for rifle alone? Or does optics need to be included in there as well?

OP
Cody66

Cody66

FNG
It would be nice to have both for the budgeg but I know it would be tough so rifle alone and if any left use toward a scope

22lr

WKR
I've been casting eyes at the TC Encore pretty hard for just this application. Super compact and easy to get new barrels later. They are just not as light as you would think they could be...

I think it’s real tough to beat a Tikka topped with a Nightforce SHV. I know putting a heavier scope on a lightweight gun but for me it’s worth the little bit extra weight.

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
My next question would be what ballpark weight are you aiming for? Also... what are your preferences as far as barrel length, balance etc. Sorry for all the questions... but I have recently gone down this path myself, and being in Canada our options within this price range are much more limited than I think our American friends realize.

Ohearchai

FNG
The above post, weight, caliber, etc, had a t3 stainless lite in 270wsm about 6.5lbs if I remember correctly, accurate reliable rifle. Plenty left over for a decent scope or even a good cf stock.

OP
Cody66

Cody66

FNG
Scoped and loaded looking for under 6.5 ish but it its under 7 thats fine aswell length wise a 22 inch barrel is nice for maneuverable but a 24 is ok aswell, my 300 wby is 28 inch barrel with the compemsater and weighs arout 8 pounds ready to go so as long as its shorter and longer thats all I'm after, as for caliber I was kind of thinking 280ai but 270 is appealing as factory ammo is abundant, this rifle is primary sheep goat and deer gun but the ability to kill elk is nice aswell

Considering your budget and that you also want to include elk, personally, I go with a Tikka action, CF barrel chambered in 300WSM so you can have a twist rate well capable of stabilizing the heavies, while still able to shoot lighter bullets. But, there are several very good options.

OP
Cody66

Cody66

FNG
Unfortunately in Canada kimber montanas are about 2200 CAD

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
Ya, about the only rifle that im aware of that will meet your criteria is a kimber hunter. The one I had in .30-06 weighed 6.5 lbs fully loaded with a leupold 4x in talley lightweight rings. If you go that route I would definitely consider a smaller short action calibre. My 06 definately had some snappy recoil. Also... for our American friends a kimber hunter retails in Canada for approximately 1200-1400$ depending where you are. That's pretty expensive for a rifle with a plastic stock.... I ended up sending mine down the road due to poor magazines, accuracy, and a stock design that didn't work for me. The accuracy could have been me as I find lightweight rifles tricky to shoot. It definately shot minute of moose.....

Attachments

• 20191105_142825.jpg
    20191105_142825.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 26