Lightweights

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
Even a blind squirrel can find an acorn once in a while.... he's just what happened to be standing on the road as I was following 2 sets of tracks.

Bruce Culberson

Lil-Rokslider
You could get a Tikka (270, 30-06, 6.5x55, Creed) then have a Wildcat fibreglass stock installed by Corlanes or any other smith. The Wildcats are made in Canada too. That would hit your weight target & budget.

Decker9

WKR
I went down this same road,

used T3 6.5 swede $700
Wildcat stock $500
barrel cut to 20”, fluted and cerakote $450

bare rifle is a hair over 5 1/2 lbs, 6 1/2 loaded and topped with a z3 3-9x36.

It was the cheapest way I found of getting a light weight, that I knew would shoot well (in Canada)

A little edit, finishing a wildcat is pretty easy peasy, a bit of YouTube and reading, you’d be well on your way. Happy to help with input if you go that route.

Ohearchai

FNG
The tikka t3 or t3x are pretty close to the weight limit, figure 6 1/2 lbs for most standard calibers, always the option as mentioned above to change the stock or even shorten the barrel. They are quality rifles not sure the price used in Canada but here 500 would be ok, if not close to new, simple lightweight scope 15 ounces and as stoxk about 7 1/2

OP
Cody66

Cody66

FNG
What would it cost and what caliber would be a good donor for a 280 ai?

Honestly spend the money on a Kimber hunter or be a bit patient and hop onto a Montana 280ai.

Add a Ti bolt handle to save 0.9oz.
If you buy the hunter remove the gel out of the stock and be the same weight as the Montana.

Kimbers are truly utilitarian rifles. For the $1500 used price tag the Montana is a bargain for what you get in my eyes

My next rifle I add will be a lightweight. Im going to start with a lightweight. I had thought about trying to lighten up a rifle I already have but scrapped that idea.