Like big deer?

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Rebecca put the finishing touches on another article, by yours truly of course, today.

Many hunters are surprised to find out I've killed many of my best bucks at short ranges relative to today's standards.

Check out the article, "Don't Forget Your Shortgame" at

http://www.rokslide.com/2012-01-09-05-12-00/mule-deer/154-dont-forget-your-short-game

Post up your thoughts after reading it: "total bs, right-on, love ya, hate ya, whatever".

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Bitterroot. That is a NW MT buck. Got him in '09. One of the most fun hunts I've been on. Very few big bucks, but with the rut, you always have a chance.

7mag.

WKR
Good aricle. Lot's of good information and advice. I've found that most people don't have the patience or know how to still hunt effectively. I have to constantly remind myself to slow down. There is always the curiosity to see what is around the next corner, or over that rise, that needs to be kept in check.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
thanks 7 mag.
In bucky cover, where I'm finding fresh rubs, tracks, and know a good buck is around, still-hunting is so intense. You never know what you're going to see with your next step. Trying to keep my rifle ready, see through the cover, and stay alert- nothing tests me like still-hunting. The few big bucks I've killed that way are forever imprinted on my mind and heart. When glassing, you have hours to get ready. When still-hunting, seconds...

Nice animals....that statement was like an apple for the teacher. You get all your animals Lab Aged..how do you get that done and who by, why. Just as an FYI for curiosity?
I actual like having a heavier pack w/me while stalking...not the whole kit and kaboodle but enough to slow me down, more. Agree totally w/ slowing down to 100/hour. We think about hunting and being in the forest or on the Mt. peaks all the time and then we rush through the enjoyment phase. Cool write up

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Rick, Thanks for taking the time to read it.
Yes, I've been lab aging my bucks since 1996. It's just one more piece of the puzzle to me. I've learned a lot about buck's potential in certain units and how old certain bucks really are. Some units, 5-year old bucks can be huge, others, not so much.
I became so interested in it, I found a lab to work with and started a business getting deer, elk, moose, antelope aged for hunters. Here's the link to our website:

http://wescout4u.com/how-big-is-my-buck/

I see your point about the heavier pack slowing you down. Some cover is so thick, though, you can barely get through it with just your body quietly...

You are exactly right about "We think about hunting... then rush through the enjoyment phase".

Very well said. That is exactly why big bucks get away, they live in a completely different world than we do and live at a much slower pace so they are very aware of their surroundings. Us, we rush to the trail head, text our buddies from the mountain, glass for an hour then walk 3 miles..... no wonder they hear us! Even 100 yards an hour is pretty fast to a deer. If I know a buck is in a particular piece of cover and I can slow to 25 yards an hour, I become a deadly force; hard to do, though.

Thanks for chiming in Rick.