"Like" "Like" "Like" - What the hell is happening to our English ?

How long before the grammar police show up on this thread? We might need them. Even though it drives me nuts, I try not to point it out like a complete dick because about the time I do, I f*ck up and commit one myself. So... ;)

Billinsd

WKR
It all started with Shaggy from Scooby Do!! Then it was Moon Zappa and the song Valley Girls. I got after my kids saying it and they stopped. It was hard when their teachers talked that way, lol. I say it once and a while, although I don't mean to and try hard not to.

Squirrels

WKR
I believe the verbiage used amongst our society today comes from a lack of knowledge and confidence. I catch myself once in a while saying something, but I try not to. People seem to want to open their mouth and be heard before they actually have something worth saying. Kudos to the parents out there correcting their children. My little one is only 10 months old, but she will get corrected when she is old enough. Wise man once told me if you wish to be respected you must present yourself respectable. My 2 pennies.

The two that trip my trigger are. You know,,,,,,,and sweet. Find it hard to take anyone seriousely when every other utterance is " you know" and when my own son says "sweet" its like nails on the chalk board. Still cringe when the word clip is used but thats for another rant. Thank you for watching

OP
Jeff Martin
The two that trip my trigger are. You know,,,,,,,and sweet. Find it hard to take anyone seriousely when every other utterance is " you know" and when my own son says "sweet" its like nails on the chalk board. Still cringe when the word clip is used but thats for another rant. Thank you for watching

You don't have spare clips for your Glock? I like , have 2 clips...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mischief209

Lil-Rokslider
Like is just another form of umm. They are trying to gather thier thoughts. Similar to a studder. Young kids say like, older ppl i notice use "f**kin when searching for the right word.

I stopped listening to "country" after I could no longer distinguish it from pop. After mid 90's......no country for me.

jmez

WKR
I believe the verbiage used amongst our society today comes from a lack of knowledge and confidence. I catch myself once in a while saying something, but I try not to. People seem to want to open their mouth and be heard before they actually have something worth saying. Kudos to the parents out there correcting their children. My little one is only 10 months old, but she will get corrected when she is old enough. Wise man once told me if you wish to be respected you must present yourself respectable. My 2 pennies.

A lot of truth in that statement. Good Quote. On the serious side, where this really shows up is on job applications and cover letters. If you are in a position where you look at these documents. the younger generation really has poor grammar and written communication skills. Every one I look at that has grammatical errors goes in the trash. Some of them are really bad.

TJ

WKR
I stopped listening to "country" after I could no longer distinguish it from pop. After mid 90's......no country for me.

th

Mischief209

Lil-Rokslider
A lot of truth in that statement. Good Quote. On the serious side, where this really shows up is on job applications and cover letters. If you are in a position where you look at these documents. the younger generation really has poor grammar and written communication skills. Every one I look at that has grammatical errors goes in the trash. Some of them are really bad.
I believe this has to with cell phones and auto correct. Also this new short hand form of writing called text message. Just lazyness and this new culture where ppl cant sit still and have to be bombarded with short videos and cram eveything down there throats as fast as possible because of no attention span.

Ray

WKR
I dunno but chris Stapleton saved it 😁

Him and Sturgill Simpson.

My GF found that Willy Nelson will be playing at a small venue near Portland in August. Sheep hunt or Willy...had to see him before he dies, sheep will still be on the mountain even when I am older and crippled more.

Ray

WKR
I spent most my life with a mild stammer. It slowly resolved through adulthood, but will pop up once in a while when I am physically tired.
The result of this issue when I was younger was that every complete word was precious. I could not waste my energy on superfluous ones.

Vocabulary is also a missing skill. More recent generations do not have the vocabulary to support a robust conversation. They are stuck in the "See Spot run." system, and thus "like" is all they have to speak with.