"Like" "Like" "Like" - What the hell is happening to our English ?

Opah

WKR
Examples of Ebonics
(taken from www-leland.stanford.edu/~rickford/ebonics)

1. "She BIN had dat han’-made dress" (SE=She’s had that hand-made dress for a long time, and still does.)
  2. "Ah ‘on know what homey be doin." (SE=I don’t know what my friend is usually doing.)
  3. "I ask Ruf could she bring it ovah to Tom crib."(SE=I asked Ruth if/whether she could bring it over to Tom’s place.)
Some specific rules of Ebonics or AAVE(African American Vernacular English) are the double negative or negative inversion. Although the examples above do not have a double negative, this occurs when two words in the same sentence are negative(Nobody can’t go out tonight.) It is usually thought that two negatives make a positive and is an error in the Standard English grammar world. Another rule of AAVE is the negative inversion. This includes the inversion of "Nobody can’t," so it would be "Can’t nobody." This inversion can only be done if the latter is a question.

JFK

WKR
Someone who says “like” a lot might be equally confused by someone calling a creek a “crick”.

There wasn’t some golden era in US history where everyone spoke perfect, eloquent English. As soon as Europeans got here they spread out and went to work butchering English, changing and adding words. “Like” will come and go, and the people saying it today will be griping about how the next generation talks.

Alright, alright, alright!!! Finally a good ole fashion bi*ch fest about how people talk! (Someone must have a slow day at the office) But I'm never one to let opportunity pass so here goes.

Y'all - used as singular and plural but still ain't a proper contraction!

Creek - the word has no i in it so learn to pronounce it!

Route - its pronounced Rout not Root come one people

And I know this one is really difficult because some of the sounds change but I know you can handle it if you try!

President - its pronounced as Idiot! It's hard with the silent letters but you'll get it if you work hard at it!

(Quite frankly I don't care how you talk, and as long as you give me directions based on miles driven or still existing landmarks we will be just fine!)

CoStick

WKR
There is certainly many cases of dyslexia that go undiagnosed and it shows in many forms besides just backwards letters. A good sign of it is having to use numerous attempts to get spellcheck to recognize a word. So not always just last or dumb people:)

Creek - the word has no i in it so learn to pronounce it!
That’s funny, where I’m from if somebody pronounced it creeeek we know they’re a city slicker. Everyone there knows it’s crick.

when I moved to small town in SE Arizona I’d say crick and they assumed I had regular intercourse with my cousin.

SDHNTR

WKR
"Like" "Like" "Like" - What the hell is happening to our English ?

I know I sound like a grumpy old man (I am only 42) but how in the hell did the word "Like" become apart of grown mens English. Just listen to the most popular podcast out there, (their guest too) and just listen. Grown men, hunters full of moxy and grit, tuff guys and use the word "like" like little girls.

IT DRIVES ME FREAKN NUTS... I seriously have to limit listening or I will pick this nonsense up...

oh...."So" "So" is right behind it.... :eek:
You are spot on! My advice, give up on hunting podcasts. I’ve tried and tried and tried to find one worth listening to. There just isn’t a good one out there that I’ve found! I’m only a year older and I despise the way and the amount most podcasters talk. Who can tolerate listening to aimless rambling for an hour or more? The bro talk, like, like, like, pontificating, tangents, social media hype, promotion, bla bla bla. It’s disgusting. I hate to say it, I’ve even tried listening to the home brew here and found it adolescent. The manner of speech detracted from whatever the content was. Reminded me of a conversation among junior high kids.

Someone prove me wrong. Please find me a podcast that has informative and interesting content for an experienced hunter, without rambling and without childish speech and banter. A discussion that sticks to the subject matter shouldn’t be that hard. Stay on topic! Give me 10-15 minutes of solid content without the tangential rambling and BSing. Also, please speak like an educated adult and be a good representation of hunting to the public. Ditch the cliches and social media catch phrases. Find interesting people with real experience and credentials to host, not “influencers” who are nothing but attention whores and self promoters. Someone please find me a podcast like that.

Last edited:

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you have like a good shelter for sell? If not do you know someone willing to sale one for like a really good deal? I can pay in Bitcoin if you like, it’s like going to be how everyone pays for things they sale.

tttoadman

WKR
That’s funny, where I’m from if somebody pronounced it creeeek we know they’re a city slicker. Everyone there knows it’s crick.

when I moved to small town in SE Arizona I’d say crick and they assumed I had regular intercourse with my cousin.
That word is a funny one for me. My Dad called it a "crick". If someone calls it a "creek", to me it sounds like forced enunciation. I tell people "floors creak". I fish in a "crik".

In Nebraska I hear both and know what they mean! I find it funny that people complain about how someone talks but if you drive 7 or 8 hours in any direction and you will become the weird one!

260madman

WKR
My wife’s sister is 40 and every 3rd word is “like”. It’s hard to listen to.

guys I work with say “Or whatever” nonstop. I greased the pumps or whatever. Well did you or didn’t you? “Go take care of that broken belt or whatever” well is it a belt or a roller? A belt. So say take care of the belt.

why is speakin Merican so damn hard? Don’t get me started on contractions, spelling, proper usage of similar words such as there, their, they’re...

grfox92

WKR
You are spot on! My advice, give up on hunting podcasts. I’ve tried and tried and tried to find one worth listening to. There just isn’t a good one out there that I’ve found! I’m only a year older and I despise the way and the amount most podcasters talk. Who can tolerate listening to aimless rambling for an hour or more? The bro talk, like, like, like, pontificating, tangents, social media hype, promotion, bla bla bla. It’s disgusting. I hate to say it, I’ve even tried listening to the home brew here and found it adolescent. The manner of speech detracted from whatever the content was. Reminded me of a conversation among junior high kids.

Someone prove me wrong. Please find me a podcast that has informative and interesting content for an experienced hunter, without rambling and without childish speech and banter. A discussion that sticks to the subject matter shouldn’t be that hard. Stay on topic! Give me 10-15 minutes of solid content without the tangential rambling and BSing. Also, please speak like an educated adult and be a good representation of hunting to the public. Ditch the cliches and social media catch phrases. Find interesting people with real experience and credentials to host, not “influencers” who are nothing but attention whores and self promoters. Someone please find me a podcast like that.
Remi Warrens Cutting the distance.
Hunt Back Country by Exo
Wired to Hunt by Mark Kenyon

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

MattB

WKR
That word is a funny one for me. My Dad called it a "crick". If someone calls it a "creek", to me it sounds like forced enunciation. I tell people "floors creak". I fish in a "crik".
How would you pronounce the word "deek"? Therein lies the problem....

SDHNTR

WKR
Remi Warrens Cutting the distance.
Hunt Back Country by Exo
Wired to Hunt by Mark Kenyon

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Thanks! I’ve tried Wired to Hunt. Too long and can’t do whitetails. Will try the others.

"Like" is as aggravating as "You Know". I quit listening to Sean Hannity because he keeps saying "you know" every two or three words, along with "I mean"- drives me crazy and pushes me into punching radio station buttons to change the channel. But OP is correct, "Like" is one of the phrases where I mentally turn-of listening when in a conversation. I am not getting old, I AM old.

Last edited:

Drenalin

WKR
Quite frankly I don't care how you talk, and as long as you give me directions based on miles driven or still existing landmarks we will be just fine!
Directions are always based on the amount of time it takes to get from one place to another. Everyone knows that - like, literally everyone. Landmarks where I'm from are based on something that happened, not necessarily a distinguishable physical landmark. If you aren't from here, or your memory's fuzzy, you don't need to know how to git where I know how to git.

Directions are always based on the amount of time it takes to get from one place to another. Everyone knows that - like, literally everyone. Landmarks where I'm from are based on something that happened, not necessarily a distinguishable physical landmark. If you aren't from here, or your memory's fuzzy, you don't need to know how to git where I know how to git.

We use hours for long travel. But moved to a new town several years ago and got the ole (go north a few minutes and turn right at the old school house, then once you've gone a ways you turn back north at the old grain bin and it will be on your right. . . Can't miss it!). Never mind the old school House was torn down long ago and now a house sits there, and the only thing left of the "old" grain bin is the top, but ignore the 4 other "old" grain bins!

I just get a kick out of things that are common place if you were born and die in the same place but seem off the wall to anyone else