"Like" "Like" "Like" - What the hell is happening to our English ?

"Like" "Like" "Like" - What the hell is happening to our English ?

I know I sound like a grumpy old man (I am only 42) but how in the hell did the word "Like" become apart of grown mens English. Just listen to the most popular podcast out there, (their guest too) and just listen. Grown men, hunters full of moxy and grit, tuff guys and use the word "like" like little girls.

IT DRIVES ME FREAKN NUTS... I seriously have to limit listening or I will pick this nonsense up...

oh...."So" "So" is right behind it.... :eek:

I feel the same way. I feel our society has gone so far down the crapper.....there is no return. Half the time I can't tell a dude from a chick because most look the same now.

I try to be conscious of this with averting my kids from it. My 17 y/o doesn't have a problem but I really have to work with my three younger ones. "Like" it's a "like" rampant problem. But then I catch myself saying "so" at the end of a sentence and want to punch myself... some of us have our idiosyncrasies that we can't easily break. So...

OP
Jeff Martin
I try to be conscious of this with averting my kids from it. My 17 y/o doesn't have a problem but I really have to work with my three younger ones. "Like" it's a "like" rampant problem. But then I catch myself saying "so" at the end of a sentence and want to punch myself... some of us have our idiosyncrasies that we can't easily break. So...

I hear you. My 16 yr old gets reminded Dailey and she is actually picking up on it when her friends say it. She is not perfect but getting better!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm sure if some of us recorded a one hour conversation that we've had with someone else, we'd have a lot of, "Like, um, so, etc." in there. It's easy to formulate a couple sentences or points before actually speaking when we are having a five minute conversation, but talking with the same group of people about things people want to hear for an hour or more probably isn't as easy as we think.

Most people who have podcasts aren't authors/speakers such as Rinella, Newberg, and Shane Mahoney.....so we can't have our expectations too high as far as presentation and fluidity.