Likely Overcrowded OTC Due to Changes in Southern CO

Felix40

WKR
They have already flown and done their herd estimates. They always do them in Late January/Early February down here.

Thats the time of year I would expect. Its what we do because you can actually see them on the winter range.

Plus they have to know how many tags they are going to issue a while before they actually draw for tags in may

Last edited:
Agreed that 80 and 81 will be extra extra crushed on top of the fact that 80 and 81 are already extra crushed for numerous reasons.

- Proximity to states and travelers driving through elk to get to other elk
- Closest "let's try that next" unit to those that have moved to draw
- Hunters that used to hunt the new draw units (or any new hunters looking for info) call hunt planners with CDW, who are constantly directing hunters to 80 and 81, stating these areas are "over objective"

I hunted 80 a few back. I wasn't there long, maybe 3 days before switching units and driving halfway across the state. There were a lot of hunters, but their hunting style and the way they used the land was ultimately what sent me elsewhere. Get the loudest pick-up truck and the fastest, angriest ATV and that's what makes you cool and a better hunter than everyone else kind of thing. I expect that to be a whole lot worse, good luck to those trying to still hold it down.

Danimal

Lil-Rokslider
For what its worth, GMU 44 (44,45,47, 444) transitioned to OTC bull only which did prevent me from hunting there last season. Since I had an OTC either sex tag (which by law wasn't a legal tag for a bull only unit) I stayed out of those areas which I would have checked or scouted. My guess is that if you're a unit 44 bull elk hunter you were pretty happy with the change because you probably had no problem getting that tag but pressure was probably reduced. However if you're a meat hunter local in those areas you're probably not too happy giving up your cow option. I have no idea what the best limited system would be but I've committed my brain to playing the game no matter what the state agencies do and to not get comfortable with the status quo. I read and re-read the regs every year.

The real game changer in managing high demand western quota allocation is the national economy. If we hit another 5-10 year economic downturn like we did in 2008 a lot of the pressure will just go away on its own fruition, no system changes needed.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yeah that is pretty helpful considering all the new hunt codes they added this year. They need to work on their system.
They don't do tag numbers until after winter is over so they can get a gauge on winter kill numbers. Would be crazy to set tag numbers before they find out how the animals fared. Wyoming does it that way, Nevada does it that way, Utah as well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
They have already flown and done their herd estimates. They always do them in Late January/Early February down here.
Yeah, but late storms could obliterate those numbers. Later tag setting dates make perfect sense.

It’s going to have a big effect on Arizona guys for sure. I’m willing to bet a good portion of them will pile into the closest units to the SW, like they typically do. I don’t know how 62, 80, or 81 could take a whole lot more people but I guess we’ll find out.

Felix40

WKR
They don't do tag numbers until after winter is over so they can get a gauge on winter kill numbers. Would be crazy to set tag numbers before they find out how the animals fared. Wyoming does it that way, Nevada does it that way, Utah as well.

We are talking about units that were previously UNLIMITED. So they have never had any control over how many hunters were in there. Add to it that they dont really have a good idea how many people hunt those units due to their survey system and I cant see how they would need to wait until after the deadline to set tag numbers.

I would bet they arent still figuring out tag numbers in april but you might be right. Some easy fixes to let us get an idea if we are applying for a hunt with 2000 or 200 tags would be:

They could publish projected (subject to change) tag allocations for each hunt code based on winter surveys. Do this mid march and at least we would have some idea how overran a unit could be before applying.

They could push the deadline back a few weeks to give time to get tag numbers figured out.

This is why I asked if anyone had a source for tag numbers in these new units. For all we know they could be giving more tags than the number of people who hunted them when they were OTC.

sneaky

"DADDY"
We are talking about units that were previously UNLIMITED. So they have never had any control over how many hunters were in there. Add to it that they dont really have a good idea how many people hunt those units due to their survey system and I cant see how they would need to wait until after the deadline to set tag numbers.

I would bet they arent still figuring out tag numbers in april but you might be right. Some easy fixes to let us get an idea if we are applying for a hunt with 2000 or 200 tags would be:

They could publish projected (subject to change) tag allocations for each hunt code based on winter surveys. Do this mid march and at least we would have some idea how overran a unit could be before applying.

They could push the deadline back a few weeks to give time to get tag numbers figured out.

This is why I asked if anyone had a source for tag numbers in these new units. For all we know they could be giving more tags than the number of people who hunted them when they were OTC.
From what I read, they are pretty much guaranteeing whoever puts in for those units will draw a tag. Sounds like it's going to be an unlimited draw, but making guys choose those units. The tag setting process gets pushed back not because of these units but for all the units statewide. That's why Wyoming pushed back their draw dates, although the outfitters pressured them into keeping the Jan 31st application date. At least CO doesn't leave you hanging for 4 months before they release draw results.

Yeah, but late storms could obliterate those numbers. Later tag setting dates make perfect sense.

Your right but they still base their quota with the numbers they have already collected. One of the reasons we are in this mess

Beendare

WKR
Did they publish tag totals for the new draw units....I have the regs and no totals.

Do they even know how many tags they will give out for these new draw units?

>>>>>

CPWs goal is really only to limit the cow archery licenses. Those will be few and will require points to draw. Bull tags will be plentiful.

Bcorn

FNG
Well I hope everyone is wrong that its going to crowd 80, 81 even more. I kind of enjoy hunting 81. I'm going on my 4th year so I'm really getting to know the area I hunt. Haven't killed anything yet but the last two yrs it was close. Encounters both years. Guess I will find out in September.

CPWs goal is really only to limit the cow archery licenses. Those will be few and will require points to draw. Bull tags will be plentiful.
I just got the 2020 Big Game catalog and the units tags are separated into cow or bull only unless your on private land which will be an either tag

Lowndes

FNG
Out of curiosity if you hunted these units OTC in the past and built points elsewhere trying to draw a specific unit would you no longer be able to hunt this area unless you were willing to burn all the preference points previously accumulated?