Limb silencers

Beendare

WKR
In my quest for a totally silent bow I stumbled across something that really works....and if you have something post it up.

I like the performance of a ILF recurve....yeah, I know....longbows are quieter.

I'm shooting those Uukha Vx limbs and was getting a little noise from my limb pockets. I wrapped the bolt, and bushings with teflon tape- that helped.

I tried some limb savers stuck to the limbs and that was worthless on my bow. What works is I trimmed a silicone limb hush from my Hoyt compound and slid it into the limb pocket wedged between my limb and the riser up against the bolt.

Yesterday I rode out to our archery range on my bike and had it all to myself. I reassembled my recurve but without that silicone spacer as its a bit tough to get it in there without backing the bow way off.

Wow, what a difference those silicone spacers in there make....my bow is much quieter with them in there.

I will try to add a photo when I get a chance.

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
I love a quiet bow, i ws shooting my buddies heavier arrows to see if they would work with my set up (spine question) and it shot SILENT.

Tartan

WKR
In my quest for a totally silent bow I stumbled across something that really works....and if you have something post it up.

I like the performance of a ILF recurve....yeah, I know....longbows are quieter.

I'm shooting those Uukha Vx limbs and was getting a little noise from my limb pockets. I wrapped the bolt, and bushings with teflon tape- that helped.

I tried some limb savers stuck to the limbs and that was worthless on my bow. What works is I trimmed a silicone limb hush from my Hoyt compound and slid it into the limb pocket wedged between my limb and the riser up against the bolt.

Yesterday I rode out to our archery range on my bike and had it all to myself. I reassembled my recurve but without that silicone spacer as its a bit tough to get it in there without backing the bow way off.

Wow, what a difference those silicone spacers in there make....my bow is much quieter with them in there.

I will try to add a photo when I get a chance.

I will have to try this with my vx+ once I get them back

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
I love a quiet bow, i ws shooting my buddies heavier arrows to see if they would work with my set up (spine question) and it shot SILENT.
No doubt the arrow makes a big difference. Some of those light arrow compound guys have no idea- some of those bows are loud.

I'm shooting a 585gr arrow, bow is right at 50# probably a tad under...so its pretty quiet...but not the string swish of a one piece longbow.

_______

sneaky

"DADDY"
I've used thin felt, like arrow rest or shelf silencing material under limb butts on ILF setups before. Stays on so you don't have to jam it in there every time. Works pretty well, especially on Hoyt setups. Limbsavers make a big difference on my trad tech setup. I just think every bow is different and you just gotta experiment a little.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
I made washers out of a bicycle innertube for the limb bolts on my ILF. I tried Velcro strips on the limbs and they helped, but weren't enough. Now I have the washers on the bolts, and moleskin on the riser at the ILF socket. Very quiet.

Now if I could only hit the target with every shot, I'd be in business.

Jeremy

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
Like Jeremy, i have those washers on another set of limbs but made from a sheet of reinforced rubber or vinyl sheet- they work well.
I think anytime you have more than a one piece this Connections have the potential to make noise.
i’m really impressed as to the noise dampening of this silicone.

——-

sneaky

"DADDY"
I made washers out of a bicycle innertube for the limb bolts on my ILF. I tried Velcro strips on the limbs and they helped, but weren't enough. Now I have the washers on the bolts, and moleskin on the riser at the ILF socket. Very quiet.

Now if I could only hit the target with every shot, I'd be in business.

Jeremy
I don't use strips, I use a wide sheet that covers the entire limb butt. Just take the detent button off, apply the material, then reassemble. Works like a charm. Strips don't work worth a dang.

I've used thin felt, like arrow rest or shelf silencing material under limb butts on ILF setups before. Stays on so you don't have to jam it in there every time. Works pretty well, especially on Hoyt setups. Limbsavers make a big difference on my trad tech setup. I just think every bow is different and you just gotta experiment a little.

I did this with my warf set up. I got lots of compliments on how quiet that how was, though I never did tell a difference.

I listened to a podcast from the “trad lab” recently specifically on silencing a bow. Decent info in there. My main takeaways were: beaver balls don’t work well. Go with something synthetic like black widow Spiders or dynapuffs. Heavier string silencers work but reduce efficiency of bow. Heavier arrow is the king of reducing sound. Different strings may or may not make a difference. And limb silencers don’t seem to reduce the sound at all... but they do reduce the vibration felt which in turn reduces perceived sound from the shooter (hence why you how usually sounds quieter when someone else shoots it). Just food for thought I found recently, not sure the validity of the info but seemed legit.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I did this with my warf set up. I got lots of compliments on how quiet that how was, though I never did tell a difference.
It's really hard as the shooter to hear the difference, but once you step off to the side it's easy to tell.

ledflight

WKR
This. In this offseason I am playing around. I took a 525grain arrow into the woods this past year which is about 9.3 gpp and it was ok but not as quiet as I wanted for sure. I tuned up an 11.3gpp arrow recently and it is a lot quieter.
Then for fun made a 900 grain frankenArrow - a 1916 inside a2117, 300 field tip, that actually flies smooth. Super silent. 16gpp of doom.

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
I listened to a podcast from the “trad lab” recently specifically on silencing a bow. Decent info in there. My main takeaways were: beaver balls don’t work well. Go with something synthetic like black widow Spiders or dynapuffs. Heavier string silencers work but reduce efficiency of bow. Heavier arrow is the king of reducing sound. Different strings may or may not make a difference. And limb silencers don’t seem to reduce the sound at all... but they do reduce the vibration felt which in turn reduces perceived sound from the shooter (hence why you how usually sounds quieter when someone else shoots it). Just food for thought I found recently, not sure the validity of the info but seemed legit.

Good info^

I bought some used limbs with those Limbsavers installed....they didn't make a lick of difference. They would have to be mounted way out on the limb to matter...and then you lose too much efficiency.

I build a skinny string that is quieter for sure; 12 strands and I wrap the ends with wool. [that wrap makes a big difference]

I've tried playing with all kinds of string silencers....and of course the heavy rubber type ones silence better but slow the arrow.

I've played with puff placement- using the string harmonics chart at first wave and second wave position. I can't really tell a difference between the 4 puffs and and just 2.

Silencing the limb pockets on my ILF made a huge difference.

______

Silencing the limb pockets on my ILF made a huge difference.

______
Adding that piece to the limb pocket obviously adjusted the angle of the limb slightly, but probably not anything that you noticed or affected tune etc?

Kentucky

WKR
Adding that piece to the limb pocket obviously adjusted the angle of the limb slightly, but probably not anything that you noticed or affected tune etc?

I have done this to every ILF riser I have owned..which is several... I have never noticed a difference.

Always used Velcro, felt, moleskin, whatever was handy..just gotta keep it thin.. I would put 1/8” rubber in there.. I shot a bow the other day with a thin layer of cork.. that seemed to work well.

I shoot a 19" Tradtech Titan III with Blackmax 2.0 limbs. When I got the bow I thought it was louder than my Horne longbow I had hunted with the 8 years prior. I had cat whiskers trimmed down and placed about 6 inches below the string grooves and was shooting a Bear weather rest. I got a set of Limbsavers mushrooms placed at the fadeouts and got good results with those. Other than putting some material on the shelf to deaden the clank if the arrow falls off the rest that's all I have done and I get a lot of comments about only hearing a little 'thump" on the shot. I shoot split finger and my limbs are tillered out even. I also shoot a Cavalier Elite tab. I think tiller, finger placement whether 3 under or split and coming clean with proper tension makes a huge amount of difference in the noise of the bow, it's all oscillation and vibration so the amount and placement of string contact and cleanliness of release are going to be factors in how loud the bow is. Tiller and limb pocket adjustment with a bieter jig are a big help in my opinion as well..

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
Since BK dredged this up

No it doesn’t change the angle at all so what I’m talking about doing is it’s a little chunk of silicone that is about an inch and a half long by 1/4“ x 1/4 inch and I slide it in between the limb bolt and the slide in attachment notch for I LF.

It’s nothing drastic but every little bit helps

ledflight

WKR
Folks been shooting my ILF with hunting weight limbs recenty and man does it ping.
Any pics people could share of how they apply these felt/silicone/rubber silencer pieces in the limb pockets would be much appreciated.

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
Folks been shooting my ILF with hunting weight limbs recenty and man does it ping.
Any pics people could share of how they apply these felt/silicone/rubber silencer pieces in the limb pockets would be much appreciated.
I have a thin washer on my Junxing and its loud.

Wool wraps on the loop end of your string, felt where the limb meets the string, and the padded pockets with a good washer on the bot usually works…raining today, and changing that washer, I will try to snap a pic