Limited budget, need to choose ONE pack...

I was in the same boat until recently. I went with a mystery ranch Beartooth 80 as I will be using it for family hiking/camping trips also. May get a pintler bag for it later for smaller day trips and stuff but it will also work as a day pack.

MR is a quality brand. I also went with them as it fit me the best. Like it was made for me almost. I looked at EXO but couldn’t justify the price and also couldn’t find one used that the seller wasn’t asking too much money or near retail, at least what I could get it for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A fella here did the same or me with this exact bag 2 years ago. My heart is good and in the right place. But, Guy Valero is the coolest guy on this forum. His generosity made this possible.

Some guys definitely would have still sold it for a few bucks less than retail, "save $20 + the shipping and tax!" :ROFLMAO: Good on you for paying it forward, hopefully we get to see that puppy loaded up with an elk rack this year!

I went from $200 to $450 real quick as I learned more about pack quality. Obviously $200 would be great, but not possible it seems...

As long as you aren't set on a camo pack I would recommend looking at the Mystery Ranch TerraFrame series as well as the Glacier and TerraPlane packs. My son and I are using the Glacier packs and they work great while being a fraction of the price of the hunting line while still being able to carry loads up to 100lbs.

Here’s my son with his Glacier we paid about 250 for then on sale at Moosejaw.com. They also have 10% go towards a future purchase and often more. Then using active junky you earn cash back typically 10% or more. After the points and money back it was more like $200.

Good luck with what ever you do.

3bb7b5a8de82b86e2820077f8ddc5064.jpg

Last edited:

KennyIowa

FNG
Reviving this thread. Brand new here, been reading around and looking at a daypack for a pronghorn hunt in WY this fall. Hopefully more western hunting in the future. Something frugal that will last.

Marble

WKR
Reviving this thread. Brand new here, been reading around and looking at a daypack for a pronghorn hunt in WY this fall. Hopefully more western hunting in the future. Something frugal that will last.
Cheap things cost too much.

Buy something that will last and is comfortable. There is a lot info on this forum just search around.

The Eberlestock X2 is an amazing day pack. It has amazing flexibility and capability. I gave used it Turkey hunting, carrying goose decoys, carrying deer stands. It is great for adding and removing clothes.

I have also used it to carry out 2 moose, 2 caribou, and multiple whitetail.

About 10 years and it is still going strong...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Had I listened to the advice of the experienced guys and bought my Kifaru pack first I could’ve avoided 10x the amount of money I spent on my Kifaru pack buying cheap inexpensive packs. Only trying to get the comfort and capability of the Kifaru pack. Do some research and have an idea of what you’re looking for and keep an eye on the classifieds. Deals pop up all the time but you’ve got to be quick to grab them.