Limited budget, need to choose ONE pack...

Logan80

Lil-Rokslider
First time poster here, been lurking for a little bit though.

I hunt in Western Washington for both Elk and Deer and need to find a good pack for both a day pack and possible overnight pack.

I typically day hunt only but would like to get into doing short 1-3 day trips as well. Currently I just use a cheap backpack but I really can't carry much at all in a small pack and it has no meat hauling capabilities.

I was leaning toward a Badlands 2200 due to it's price and that it seems like it might work for my needs. After doing a bunch of reading and watching videos I've decided that I need to increase my budget substantially if I want a decent pack that will last a long time.

Right now I'm torn between the Pop Up 38 and the Sawtooth 45 from Mystery Ranch. I like the compact size of the Pop Up, but I wonder if it's big enough? The Sawtooth has a better frame for carrying loads as well as a bit more room inside, but costs quite a bit more.

While I'd like to be able to do multi-day trips, the vast majority will be day use only.

Does anyone have direct experience with either/both of these packs? Any advice to share?

I hunt in Western Washington for both Elk and Deer and need to find a good pack for both a day pack and possible overnight pack.

I typically day hunt only but would like to get into doing short 1-3 day trips as well. Currently I just use a cheap backpack but I really can't carry much at all in a small pack and it has no meat hauling capabilities.

I was leaning toward a Badlands 2200 due to it's price and that it seems like it might work for my needs. After doing a bunch of reading and watching videos I've decided that I need to increase my budget substantially if I want a decent pack that will last a long time.

Right now I'm torn between the Pop Up 38 and the Sawtooth 45 from Mystery Ranch. I like the compact size of the Pop Up, but I wonder if it's big enough? The Sawtooth has a better frame for carrying loads as well as a bit more room inside, but costs quite a bit more.

While I'd like to be able to do multi-day trips, the vast majority will be day use only.

Does anyone have direct experience with either/both of these packs? Any advice to share?

What is the budget you are looking at?

Smithb9841

Lil-Rokslider
One thing with packs is they are very dependent on the person and how they fit you. Last year I bought a Kifaru because I couldn’t find hardly any reviews that were negative. I was happy with it all season and had no complaints. Fast forward to this year at the sheep show and I tried on the kuiu pack and it fit me much better I went ahead and purchased one and like it better than my Kifaru. There aren’t many people that will pick a kuiu over a Kifaru but you have to find what fits you best and that might not be the same as what everyone else likes.

I dont know how quickly you want a pack or if this is something that can wait. The MR packs you mentioned are not bad. There are a few different routes you can go and my advice would be to go slow and play the long game. Kifaru, Stone Glacier, and Exo packs which are all at the very top of the game, come up on the classifieds from time to time. The more time you can spend on here will allow you to further refine what you want and what will be best for you/your style of hunting. Additionally, there are a lot of websites like BlackOvis, Camofire, and Gohunt that have sales where you can find MR and other great pack companies for 20-40 percent off. The longer you wait and find what you really want, it will end up saving you in the long run. A very common mistake is to rush into a pack, spend a lot of money, and then realize its not something you are super happy with.

Tuscaoka

WKR
If considering a Kifaru there’s a 22 mag gen 1 in classifieds now for 165. You’d have to add a frame but could still come in under your budget. It’s a great bag with lots of possibilities. I believe it’s for sale by elk sniper. If I didn’t have one I’d have bought it. Cheers

JMDavies

WKR
If considering a Kifaru there’s a 22 mag gen 1 in classifieds now for 165. You’d have to add a frame but could still come in under your budget. It’s a great bag with lots of possibilities. I believe it’s for sale by elk sniper. If I didn’t have one I’d have bought it. Cheers
I own a 22mag. I've been very happy with it. Ideally it sits on the 22 inch frame but will also fit on the 24 and 26.

I really like my Alps traverse eps. It is on the heavy side but it's a very nice pack. I packed a bull elk out with it last year and it did a great job (it wasn't a super long pack out thought).

Wassid82

WKR
I've seen the MR packs go on sale at a couple of big box stores for good prices. Every once in a while I have seen them on Camofire/Steep&Cheap/etc. that way it saves you some money. The deals forum at the bottom of the main forum page has discount codes that come up too sometimes.

kickemall

WKR
New, quality packs in that price range are a little hard to find and finding a used Stone Glacier or Kifaru at that price isn't going to be easy either. A 2017 or later Kuiu would work well for what you described. I would also take a look at Seek Outside as they have several packs on their frames that come under $450 and they are a great pack. Light, load shelf and waterproof. Call them up, tell them what your looking for, your budget and you'll be in business. They are well thought of on this site also.

OP
Logan80

Logan80

Lil-Rokslider
I think I'm leaning heavily toward the MR Sawtooth 45. I'm sure I could manage an overnight trip with it, but it's still fairly small and compact.

Another interesting pack is the Exo K3 3200, but it's significantly more expensive. I'm also not sure it would be necessary to have a pack that big. I tend to find myself going through some brush or tight trails and I'd think it might get hung up a lot.

Jherek

Lil-Rokslider
Logan80
I'm in the same boat as you, only I'm looking for a 4 to 7 day pack. it's overwhelming for sure! From what I've come up with, Kuiu and MR used if I can find a deal, new if I have to.

If anyone of you guys that have knowledge see my reply. I know the key to so many of these packs is how they fit the individual, In all my reading of these better brands I haven't come across any info as to are any of these brands like clothing? Where this brand or model works better for someone who's taller and lean or this one tends to be for bigger guys and so on?

I'm 5'7 200lbs I'll be in the 180s or less come season, But I have really wide shoulders and chest, a short torso and bigger waistline when I'm really lean I still have a 34" waste . I've had a bunch of knee sugeies, and 1 back surgery. So because of my injuries, boots are everything, I think getting the best pack I can will be just as important if not more.

If you haven't already, I would look into slumberjack as well. I've been thoroughly impressed with the bounty 2.0 so far with 120lb+ loads. Very capable of multiday trips especially with the addition of of a kifaru lid, also compresses down into day mode pretty well. I tried on my buddies gen 2 duplex frame last fall and had expected to see a night and day difference, was fully prepared to feel the immediate need to sell the SJK and buy myself a kifaru but I was really underwhelmed with the minimal difference loaded up. I also much prefer the meat shelf on the SJK personally. They certainly aren't as modular but I definitely wouldn't discount it on account of the price as I initially did. Not many field photos online so here's a packout photo as well as loaded up for a multiday late season trip with a kifaru longhunter lid.

3EfTj9b.jpg

Ufj2AJD.jpg

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved

In 2004 I picked out an entire Sitka Blacktail on Kodiak Island in a Badlands 2200. That’s when they were stout and built in America. The pack weighed 93# back at camp. I would advise against the BL2200! That was a painful experience and started my search for great packs. I’ve had them all and I am incredibly happy with my Stone Glaciers. To me they have the feel of my old Mystery Ranches with a lot less weight.

You are on the right track with that Sawtooth 45 and really anything with the Guide Lite Frame. To save money I would look for old Mystery Ranch packs; they are the best bargain out there.

OP
Logan80

Logan80

Lil-Rokslider
I’d get a Kifaru frame. If I could only get one, I’d get the tactical duplex. Get that and I’ll send you a bag that fits it and will work great for you. Just reimburse the shipping. Let me know where to send it.

That's an incredible offer! I'm still too new to the forum to send a PM to you, but I believe that if you PM me I can reply and we can talk there.

Jherek

Lil-Rokslider
WOW.....
I’d get a Kifaru frame. If I could only get one, I’d get the tactical duplex. Get that and I’ll send you a bag that fits it and will work great for you. Just reimburse the shipping. Let me know where to send it.

WOW..... There are some really great people in this group! What a great offer you got.

tdot

WKR
I'd make 2 suggestions. A) read a bunch on here about the different frames. Think about your body type and how it compares to alot of the reviews. B) Truly consider the amount of weight you will carry, both the average daily weight and your max weight. Some of the frames excel at huge weight. But are stiff, tall and relatively more cumbersome in thick brush. Some of the frames will be better as a day pack and will be sufficient for 125lb loads for a couple miles, a couple times a year.