Limited budget, need to choose ONE pack...

Mt Al

WKR
So many good options it's tough to go wrong. Once you pull the trigger, don't look back! The grass is always greener, at least so it seems after the buy. Any of the packs listed will do the job because you can strap things to the bottom, sides, back and top for longer trips. Main issue is: can the frame handle the weight and all of them listed can. I went with the MR Selway for a one pack solution and am very happy with it. Think I would have been just as happy with any other manufacturer's similar sized pack.

GHOSTofWENDELL

Lil-Rokslider
Buying a frame and taking up WV on his offer is by far your best option for the money. You can find a used frame here for 250-300 depending on the seller. Don't try to save a couple bucks with a cheaper pack. This is a screaming deal.

OP
Logan80

Logan80

Lil-Rokslider
I have been in contact with WV Mountaineer and am definitely taking him up on his offer. Been talking via email with Kifaru a bit to find the exact right frame for me.

Looking at the Tactical frame in 24" with the proper size belt and shoulder straps. Unsure whether I should go with aluminum or composite Stays at the moment.

macabra11

FNG
I am in exactly the same boat and have been looking at those same packs. I am a day hunter and like to travel light, so my current pack is a Browning Billy 1700 waist back with shoulder straps. It is awesome for deer and scouting but since I’m getting serious about getting my first elk, I want something I can haul meat out with.
Like the OP I really wasn’t wanting to spend as much on a pack, so I’m really doing my due diligence and research. Really interested in the MR Popup38, Sawtooth and the Pintler. Budget is super tight, especially since I need to buy new boots this year too, so going to be keeping my eyes open for sales or good used ones. I am 6’3 and 250 with long torso, so I definitely need an XL size, which poses a problem for finding used.
I saw GoHunt has the older Pintler for a lower price, but I’m not sure if it wouldn’t be best to wait for a cheaper used pack or pony up for the new 2020 MR frame style. The popup is intriguing because of its smaller size but I worry about load capability with that one. The Sawtooth is great because of the pockets and organization (I love compartments and pockets), and the 270° zipper is really cool.

kickemall

WKR
I am in exactly the same boat and have been looking at those same packs. I am a day hunter and like to travel light, so my current pack is a Browning Billy 1700 waist back with shoulder straps. It is awesome for deer and scouting but since I’m getting serious about getting my first elk, I want something I can haul meat out with.
Like the OP I really wasn’t wanting to spend as much on a pack, so I’m really doing my due diligence and research. Really interested in the MR Popup38, Sawtooth and the Pintler. Budget is super tight, especially since I need to buy new boots this year too, so going to be keeping my eyes open for sales or good used ones. I am 6’3 and 250 with long torso, so I definitely need an XL size, which poses a problem for finding used.
I saw GoHunt has the older Pintler for a lower price, but I’m not sure if it wouldn’t be best to wait for a cheaper used pack or pony up for the new 2020 MR frame style. The popup is intriguing because of its smaller size but I worry about load capability with that one. The Sawtooth is great because of the pockets and organization (I love compartments and pockets), and the 270° zipper is really cool.

Take a look at Seek Outside. They have extensions for they frames to make them work for any height or torso length. They have a load shelf and with their Talon you can use a lot of different configurations with just their frame to save you money. And they are light.

Marble

WKR
I would suggest finding something used. Go out do some of the hunts/trips you plan on doing and get an idea of what you actually really like doing. Then you'll have a better idea on what you want.

For a day pack I do love that 2200. But not for overnight use or carrying meat.

Get something bigger than what you think you need.
Learn how to properly put on a pack and make adjustments for it to fit you the best it can.

I think I'm leaning heavily toward the MR Sawtooth 45. I'm sure I could manage an overnight trip with it, but it's still fairly small and compact.

Another interesting pack is the Exo K3 3200, but it's significantly more expensive. I'm also not sure it would be necessary to have a pack that big. I tend to find myself going through some brush or tight trails and I'd think it might get hung up a lot.
You'll have no regrets with this pack!

ShakeDown

WKR
You can find great deals on the MR Metcalf and Pintler right now. I believe I saw them on Camofire the other day for under $400, the Pintler around $350 if I remember correctly.

fatlander

WKR
Watch the classifieds. A couple smoking deals just popped up on mystery ranch packs.

If you qualify for Mystery ranch’s discount you cannot beat it. Give them a call. First responders and military qualify for a HUGE discount!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did the bag arrive yet OP?

Also, if you talk with Kifaru, they will tell you how to determine your back profile. That should determine the stay material. If there is any doubt, get the aluminum ones. I did my first pack based on wanting to be able to tweak it if needed. I tweaked, loaded, hiked for a week or so, tweaked, loaded, hiked for a week or so, etc... for several months until I got it dialed in. In that time I bought another frame that had composite stays. When I compared the aluminum stays I tweaked to perfection to the composite ones, they were identical. That was just my experience. Good luck and God Bless

Last edited:
OP
Logan80

Logan80

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, the bag arrived. I think it will work great. Thank you again!

I've emailed a little with Kifaru and I believe that the best frame for me is going to be a 24" frame with composite stays. They aren't open to make/ship anything at the moment so it'll be awhile before I can get my hands on it. Once I get a frame I'll definitely get it all mounted up and give it a try.