Limited "spirits" in Jamaica?

ChrisA

WKR
I was in Jamaica 11 years ago and found plain not spiced Captain Morgan that is not stocked in the US. It was pretty good but I prefer Appleton in Jamaica, and Mount Gay in Barbados; of course the unspiced versions.

And yes, there is a difference in Red Stripe. If it says Imported on the bottle send it back just like the locals do and say, "no Mon"

Oh, I don't drink anymore but still can offer advice.

MattB

WKR
This sounds like a great opportunity for an intervention followed by conversion therapy.

OP
R

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
All these comments got my mind working. In the time i've gone from whatever beer I could get my hands on, to Jack and Coke, to Crown and water, to single malt scotch on ice the guy has drank nothing but Captain. I really gotta start giving him more grief about his drink choice.

Gwchem

Lil-Rokslider
He's a grown man. It's not your job to solve his alcoholic first world problems.

saltfork

Lil-Rokslider
When you get him there, order him some Wray & Nephew Overproof......he'll be so drunk he won't know or care what kind of rum he's drinking lol.

Last edited:

Yoder

WKR
What you really need in Jamaica is a gun. That place is a sh#t hole. Sandals is like a beautiful prison. Look close for the razor wire around the property border. People also drive like complete maniacs. The food was amazing and the scuba diving was pretty cool.

mparks270

Lil-Rokslider
I was at Sandals Jamaica(without Jan Levinson :() for a wedding about 8 years ago. Can't say that I went looking for a sophisticated spirit like The Captain while I was there so I can't help with that. I can say that I did get tired for Red Stripe and Red Stripe light being the only beers available at an all inclusive resort. I did not get tired of the various frozen daquiris. The Bob Marley, the American Flag, etc.. Not sure which of those created "Bob Marley's revenge" on my digestive tract on when I got home!

After three drinks, it all kind of taste the same anyway doesn’t it? Take enough captain Morgan to get through the three, then switch to whatever. I really like the idea of just using CM bottles and putting other rum in. After you get home, you can tell him that he’s branched out.