Limitless Outdoors-mule deer

Perlodid

FNG
Yeah, I suppose that's true - I don't know where the line is drawn on what is ultimately considered commercial.
usfspermit.png

Don't know anything about Limitless specifically, but this is taken straight from USFS.

Relevant excerpt: "Commercial filming is defined as use of motion picture, videotaping, sound-recording, or any other type of moving image or audio recording equipment on National Forest System lands that involves the advertisement of a product or service, the creation of a product for sale, and/or the use of actors, models, sets, or props, but not including activities associated with broadcasting breaking news. For purposes of this definition, creation of a product for sale includes a film, videotape, television broadcast, or documentary of historic events, wildlife, natural events, features, subjects or participants in a sporting or recreation event, and so forth, when created for the purpose of generating income (FSH 2709.11 2008-2 (CH 40))."

So any film that has sponsors or advertisements requires a permit to film legally on NF land. No clue if Limitless does or not, but many channels do have ads obviously.

Churchcc12's post is helpful.

Also consider:
  • According to their website, LO is a 501C3 not-for-profit ministry. I have no idea how they do things transactionally, but less likely to to be filming or publishing content for compensation. LO may not meet the definition of advertising a product or service.
  • Most YouTube channels are not monetized or don't have the views to make it worthwhile. I started a YouTube channel (for a brand) that I've managed since 2015 that gets 1.5MM views per week. YouTube runs ads on the vids 24/7/365... never took a penny for it.
  • Showing brand names/logo during a video or on a website does not equate to getting paid, especially when the publisher is a 501C3. Lots of brands unilaterally allow their downstream customers to display logos or place decals on vehicles/coolers/Nalgene bottles..., so can be absent of commercialization.
Hope this is helpful and causes some here to be careful about intent. If you care about telling the truth, be prepared to submit to its demands. :)

Edit for Elknutty, post #45: If you're acting in good faith, would you be willing to support your statement? Respectfully, your post is accusational and appears incomplete.

Last edited:
Yes because of sponsorships they mention in their content. Randy Newberg is probably the only YouTuber that gets these permits, and that’s coming straight from him on podcasts I’ve heard.
Meateater does as I ran into them on he side of a mountain and gave them a few spots in wilderness but their permit didn’t allow wilderness

sneaky

"DADDY"
But they make money off youtube right? I admit i have no clue how this works but everyone really hated on gritty for doing it for sure
Considering that YouTube has demonetized most hunting content that could be a moot point. It takes a ton of views to make any money anyways.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yes because of sponsorships they mention in their content. Randy Newberg is probably the only YouTuber that gets these permits, and that’s coming straight from him on podcasts I’ve heard.
Big difference between sponsors paying them, and being monetized for the video.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Huntnnw

WKR
film permit stuff is so outdated it was written well before cell phones even existed and the whole point of them was hollywood production type filming where lots of people and equipment are invloved. Now days almost everyone who steps into the woods can film a hunt

TheTone

WKR

Also consider:
  • According to their website, LO is a 501C3 not-for-profit ministry. I have no idea how they do things transactionally, but less likely to to be filming or publishing content for compensation. LO may not meet the definition of advertising a product or service.
  • Most YouTube channels are not monetized or don't have the views to make it worthwhile. I started a YouTube channel (for a brand) that I've managed since 2015 that gets 1.5MM views per week. YouTube runs ads on the vids 24/7/365... never took a penny for it.
  • Showing brand names/logo during a video or on a website does not equate to getting paid, especially when the publisher is a 501C3. Lots of brands unilaterally allow their downstream customers to display logos or place decals on vehicles/coolers/Nalgene bottles..., so can be absent of commercialization.
Hope this is helpful and causes some here to be careful about intent. If you care about telling the truth, be prepared to submit to its demands. :)

Edit for Elknutty, post #45: If you're acting in good faith, would you be willing to support your statement? Respectfully, your post is accusational and appears incomplete.
Maybe I’m dumb on this but are they essentially claiming the hunting and videos are a part of a non-profit church business?

Maybe I’m dumb on this but are they essentially claiming the hunting and videos are a part of a non-profit church business?

Yes, according to the LO website.

LIMITLESS OUTDOORS EXISTS TO SHARE THE GOSPEL OF JESUS CHRIST WITH THE HUNTING COMMUNITY THROUGH HIGH QUALITY HUNTING VIDEOS ON YOUTUBE,...

[Not sure what you mean by including church. I'm not seeing that part.]

TheTone

WKR

LIMITLESS OUTDOORS EXISTS TO SHARE THE GOSPEL OF JESUS CHRIST WITH THE HUNTING COMMUNITY THROUGH HIGH QUALITY HUNTING VIDEOS ON YOUTUBE,...

I guess the church part is where it says a ministry. Seems like an “interesting” way to say going hunting, I’m sure equipment, and any money you make from it is a tax exempt business.

Elknutty

FNG

Also consider:

To be clear, my post was not questioning if LO is being compensated by YouTube. But, to address your point, just because a person is affiliated with a 501C3, does not mean that they do not draw a salary. There are lots of 501C3’s that have regular full time employees eg. “Rocky Mt elk foundation”.

I was only referring to them filming in a “Designated Wilderness Area”. The intent behind my post was that I hope they had an approved permit issued by the USFS to film in a “Wilderness Area”.

For the record, I like his messages and I hope his words help guide others!

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member

You left out that they are on the Pursuit Channel and WildTV....so maybe its a little more commercial than sharing a few YouTube videos with subscribers.

You left out that they are on the Pursuit Channel and WildTV....so maybe its a little more commercial than sharing a few YouTube videos with subscribers.

Hi Josh

Did not know that that LO is on linear TV.

I do suppose that they're doing what they do in order to do what they are called and allowed to do.

When you see a 30-minute hunting or fishing show on Pursuit or WildTV, the producer/publisher is paying the network to run the show in a time slot. Some producers are brands or organizations (Polaris, RMEF, DU TV...), some are selling ad spots to sponsors to help pay the network bill, there are infomercials, some shows might be financially supported by a single sponsor, a network might be donating the time slot to a non-profit...

I don't know what LO does to make ends meet, but they're balancing a checkbook like any other business operation.

Sorry if I mistook your comment... If so, pls clarify.