liner socks

the other sock thread got me thinkin, liner socks. who uses em and and what are you using?
i use cabelas ultimax with good results but they seem to be lacking durability and ive been looking to move to merino socks maybe...

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I've never used them. I figure if I can't wear my shoes, or boots while just wearing a standard pair of merino socks then I need different boots. Luckily I've only ran into one pair of boots that didn't work for my feet and caused blisters. So far so good. Those that use them swear by them though.

Ozz08

WKR
I wear smart wool liners but not to prevent blisters or to improve boot fit. I use them more to help aid in moisture control. My smart wool socks alone do a pretty good job of keeping my feet dry from sweat most of the time but when I add the liners my feet socks and inside of my boots are always bone dry. I don't know exactly why it works like that but it's like the combo of moisture wicking and breath ability of the merino liners and socks maximize the breath ability of my boots. I don't wear the liners all the time mostly on long hike in really warm weather.

2rocky

WKR
This is what the Bay Area Californians like....
injinji-rainbow-toe-socks.jpg

between man-scaping and toe socks I am going to have to invest in a vomit-proof keyboard!

I am with Luke, merino and go for me too.

BMB

Lil-Rokslider
laugh at the toe socks but those bastards are actually functional........i would get blisters between my big toe and the one next to it, friend said try the injinji's.....no more blisters. if you think 10-20 mile hikes with blisters sucks try 50+ miles. you do need to try em on though to make sure they fit your toes.....not for everybody.

Lawnboi

WKR
I use liner socks.... but never with another pair of socks. I like them when its warm out or im doing alot of hard hiking. In the warmer months i find myself wearing just my smartwool liners 75% of the time.

swat8888

WKR
I usually don't like liner socks but this year I may have to try them. My old Lowa's fit great everywhere except the toes would kill me going downhill because the boot was ever too small. Upgraded a half-size this season and the boot is a different fit. Going from an 11 to a 11.5 Lowa added an additional string grommet on the top of the foot, I imagine to accomodate more leather in the bigger boot. I assume this is the reason these Lowa's are disappointing me a bit as they are causing blisters on my left heel. Boot doesn't fit my heel as tightly as my old pair. 3 weeks till the season I'm trying every possible sock, sock liner and insole combo I have to see if it alleviates the problem. Hopefully it just requires a few more miles to be put on them...really don't want to wear the liner socks, to me it makes my feet hotter.

a3dhunter

WKR
I typically wear a poly-pro liner stock to help with moisture/sweat management. I find it impossible to wear Merino socks without them now.
Even wear them everyday for work.
The heavier cool max liners are too much for me, the thin poly-pro's work perfect.

wapitibob

WKR
Thin polypro liners and a decent outer sock will prevent blisters as well as wick the moisture away from the foot. Any foot movement takes place between the two socks and keeps the hot spots from forming on the foot.

Wrongside

WKR
This spring I tried liners for the first time, some cheap WIGWAM poly ones. Liners+regular socks (99% of the time, wool) for me from here on in...

S

Salmo-Priest

the other sock thread got me thinkin, liner socks. who uses em and and what are you using?
i use cabelas ultimax with good results but they seem to be lacking durability and ive been looking to move to merino socks maybe...

FTF, I wear liner socks everyday. 10-14 hrs a day. I have tried them all. If your after durability then Lorpen Liners are your huckelberry.. I work industrial construction as a carpenter and I've got rocks for toenails!! lol they shred socks!!

http://www.lorpennorthamerica.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=61_73&product_id=117

http://www.lorpennorthamerica.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=64_78&product_id=108

http://www.lorpennorthamerica.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=64_78&product_id=77

Last edited:
OP
fillthefreezer
ill check those out.

update:
ive got 3 trips in on a set of smartwool merino liners and mdwt socks. they are comfortable and arent showing wear. they seem to dry qucikly but my feet sure get wet in them. about every 2-3 hr of hiking its time for a boots off break. if i dont by the end of a 3 day trip my feet will be peeled off.

JNDEER

WKR
BPS blue Poly Pro liners with BPS day hiker merino socks. For me they work the best so far and the price is nice too.

Madnik

Lil-Rokslider
Make mine Smartwool Hiking Liner Crews, please. Coupled with Smartwool medium hikers (or comparable), they help in the moisture management and blister prevention departments.

I tried out the smartwool liner socks this year and they were awesome. Great with scent control as well. Previously I used some poly pro liners and man do they stink after a few days.