Lion Calling Tactics

Nsmith163

FNG
I'm sure this questions has been worn out - what are your go to lion calling sounds in winter? Will they respond to fawn/calf sounds?

Phat Cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure about calling tactics as I’ve never specifically hunted Mountain Lions however I’ve had a cat come into me within 60 yards the ONLY two times I’ve ever tried to use a calf call while Elk hunting...no bullshit! Once in the Missouri Breaks & again in the Beartooths. It’s also to only 2 cats I’ve encountered in Montana & I’ve lived & hunted here for 30+ years.

OP
Nsmith163

Nsmith163

FNG
Thanks. I noticed the cats in Western Oregon follow the elk herds around. Snow in the forecast on the coast next week, looking to try to find a cat to call in.

Phat Cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
From what I understand some cats can kill a deer every 7 days as they only like fresh meat I’m sure it’s similar with elk. That calf call I was persistent with was basically a dinner bell to him.

I'm sure this questions has been worn out - what are your go to lion calling sounds in winter? Will they respond to fawn/calf sounds?
Lion vocals are by far my favorite. If your caller is mp3 compatible get the lion sounds from rain shadow calls... if not, get a caller that is;)

start with 30 seconds to 5 minutes of distress, then run lion vocals (communicative sounds, not aggressive) there is a lot of benefits to that over distress.

setup is very important too, lions want to come in from above, so you need to accept that and give them the elevation advantage. It’s not like setting up for coyotes and giving yourself a good vantage.

wide open isn’t ideal either, give them a comfortable approach, and expect shots inside 50yds.

there is nothing like watching a lion come into a call, or having one answer your call on the way in.

Tbeck

FNG
I called a cat in this year using cottontail distress sounds. He came in slow, so I would advise being patient on the stand.

Skylarj10

FNG
So are we to late in the year to call them in? Me and a good buddy went out this past weekend and used calf calls/ fawn in distress even tried cotton tail calls all mixed in with lion communication and lion in heat sounds seen tracks and a fresh kill but struck out. Any tips on maybe having a little better luck?

npm352

WKR
I have never called in a lion....only coyotes and a bobcat. But, as a houndsman who chases them all winter, I can attest that you can spend a lot of time calling into an area that has no lion to hear you. Spend some time in the snow looking for fresh tracks, and call into that area.

I have never called in a lion....only coyotes and a bobcat. But, as a houndsman who chases them all winter, I can attest that you can spend a lot of time calling into an area that has no lion to hear you. Spend some time in the snow looking for fresh tracks, and call into that area.
That’s the battle, especially here in western Oregon where we don’t ever have snow to cut/age tracks, and the thick vegetation killing the sound of the call

I think they are very easy to call in, it’s just difficult to get within ear shot

I do have several places that I know are travel corridors for lions, so that’s how I approach it, walk those areas out looking for tracks and scrapes, then age the sign as well as I can, then anticipate where they might be now.

Last winter I was able to stay on a track for 3.8 miles with no snow, he covered that ground in under 12hrs for sure, probably quite a bit under, but I was in there the night before, his track was made after I left, and before daylight the next morning

It was cold, so I wasn’t going to stop and call until I felt like I was close… when I did finally do a setup, I think I was pretty close to that cat, but obviously not close enough

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve heard mountain lions have quite a taste for a porcupine and will stop to kill and eat part of one even when they are being pursued by dogs. It got me thinking that it’d be interesting to try porcupine distress sounds to call a lion in with, but it’s not legal to use an e-caller on lions in Montana.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk