Lion question for lion folks

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I had something weird happen this week in the woods, wondering if some experienced lion folks could weigh in. I’m in a mountain range in SW Montana that has a healthy lion population. There are also grizz and wolves. I’m sitting at the head of a drainage over a spring that has lots of feed/water. Either side is about 30-35 degree face of pines and deadfall.

About 8am, further down the drainage, I hear all hell breaking loose. It sounds like the audio they put in movie/shows when there is a mountain lion/big cat attack/fight. Goes in for about 15 sec. What’s odd is it continues for the next 3 hrs. Sometimes 10 min between sounds, max 30. Sometimes the snarling last 5 sec, sometimes 20. I can’t say it stopped after 3hrs, that’s just when I pulled out. Sounds all came from same general area, if it was moving around, it wasn’t much. Any ideas?

OP
Turkeygetpwnd38

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I think only season open now is archery for lion. I have never noticed any trappers and run around this area a lot. Only heard the lion, never any other animals, really sounded like just one lion. Make sense though that he got himself hung up in something.

Wetwork

Lil-Rokslider
Old family joke...My late Uncle told me cougar's eat porcupines pretty regularly, so pretty much you'd make the same sound's trying to $hit the quills.-WW

npm352

WKR
Could be two males fighting or two lions mating. Lions breed all year and males fight all year.

Or it could be something altogether unrelated to lions.