LIST: Insulated Pants with Full Zips (Fill: Synthetic and Down / Brands: Hunting and non-hunting)

OP
dapesche

dapesche

WKR
I have on older RAB photon, needed it couple years ago. Single digits, sitting for last hour plus on a park over my base and timberlines and was cozy enough. At 12 oz not the lightest but work well.

I have another pair from ll bean. They aren’t zip off so not sure if they go on the list. I have used them, primaloft I think meant to go under your pant. So not an active option. Thing I love is the bottom is a big thin cuff that goes in your boot without bulk.

I have found that the zip offs are just so convenient that non-zips aren't a consideration for me. Mountain hardwear has some great options without zips as well.

OP
dapesche

dapesche

WKR
I've got a set of the kings. Catch them on sale for a great price. They're warm, pack down nice. The material seems light but durable so far. I pretty much use them fur coyote hunting in sage so always a chance to snag
looks to be some very cheap options out there. Seems like the lower cost options avoid torex and pertex and other branded materials.

I am sure the cheaper material is fine if you're putting under rainpants to protect them.

OP
dapesche

dapesche

WKR
That's a good list. You should add a column for where they are made, USA, China, etc.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
funn.y Only one name on that list is made in Canada (Taiga). Us CDN's seem to be less focused on manufacturing location b/c most things are made elsewhere.

Maverick1

WKR
Think they're just out of stock. I tried to add them the other day and it didn't work but adding xxl worked just fine.
The tradecraft line is discontinued. I called OR the other day and confirmed.

Maverick1

WKR
Well shit. That's disappointing
Tell me about it! Bought the pants earlier this year. Went to go buy the jacket, not even listed on their website anymore! Have a "WTB" add here for awhile.....no luck.

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/outdoor-research-tradecraft-jacket-large.240695/

(I don't really care about having matching camo patterns, but I really prefer to have the top and bottom insulation weights match. Don't like trying to mix and match expedition weight with micro weight insulation garments. Kind of a PITA.)

@Tock-O Maybe check with @Tahoe1305 - he might have what you are looking for in a size Medium.

AMartin

FNG
Which of these would you recommend as an outer layer for putting on once you get to the tree stand? I live in Maine and we get temps from 10-50 degrees most of rifle season.

OP
dapesche

dapesche

WKR
Which of these would you recommend as an outer layer for putting on once you get to the tree stand? I live in Maine and we get temps from 10-50 degrees most of rifle season.

If I was going to hunt deer, I'd likely go for the thickest denier b/c the thin ones will be pretty crunchy in cold weather.

if you're hiking into the mtns for WT then maybe you'd want a zip off. If you are walking in on the flats then my guess is that you'd want to check out the sites (first lite whitetail gear) and see what they recommend...

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd echo Nunatak as well, but as @twall13 pointed out they are available and then non-available- might be due to the availability of Apex???

But you can specify the exact specs you want, inseam, zipper length, the inner/outer fabric and the amount of Apex insulation you want.

I've found that the knee height zipper is more than needed for any boot style- you don't need full zip to get over and off for boots.

Also if they have it, the Robic 7d fabric is nearly waterproof and very windproof, yet gossamer light. It's also durable enough there are no worries when using them when glassing. If you have visions of busting brush with them, choose a different fabric.

Htm84

WKR
Well shit. That's disappointing

A little late but they have a few pairs of the us made tradecraft pants. 20 bucks extra.
If anyone happened to score an extra pair of the Tradecrafts in Medium I will buy them from you or could work out a trade ?
if your still looking.

Shows 5 in medium and 3 in xl.

My bad. It doesn’t look like they’ll let you add them to a cart. Shows in stock.

Ten Bears

WKR

A little late but they have a few pairs of the us made tradecraft pants. 20 bucks extra.

if your still looking.

Shows 5 in medium and 3 in xl.

My bad. It doesn’t look like they’ll let you add them to a cart. Shows in stock.
yep they got me with that also. Thought I had found gold.

Carr5vols

WKR
alright. It's a start.

The list so far....
That is awesome should become sticky!

Htm84

WKR
yep they got me with that also. Thought I had found gold.
Out of curiosity I emailed them.

Thanks for reaching out, unfortunately our USA made tradecrafts are a discontinued style that is held for government contract ordering, hoping to see some more availability if they still have units in 2022 spring, but as of yet no connector to purchase on our direct site.
Cheers,
ryan

Maybe available in the spring.

Sled

WKR
I've got a set of the kings. Catch them on sale for a great price. They're warm, pack down nice. The material seems light but durable so far. I pretty much use them fur coyote hunting in sage so always a chance to snag

How did they hold up for you this season? They look like some of the nicer puffy pants/jacket combos I've seen.

ccarter

FNG
I got a pair of TrueTimber 800 fill down pants off of Optics Planet last year for about $80. Very light, pack into smallish back pocket.

Looks like they're being replaced by a new version, but probably comparable.