Lite Outdoors 18" vs SO SXL

Tsnider

WKR
Hey guys,

I currently have the Seek Outside medium for my Sawtooth. Looking to get a little better burn times, and the ability to use longer logs. Even with a saw, cutting logs to fit the 10" depth can be a challenge. A bigger stove means bigger wood of course, but also less cuts which saves time. I plan on doing some winter camping, so a bigger stove would be nice all around I think.

Which stove would you go with? I dont use the cook top nearly as much as I thought I would originally. I primarily use this for archery, and we do pack in a few miles typically.

I am looking to replace my stove, not add another to the gear closet.

Spotnstok

FNG
Hey guys,

I currently have the Seek Outside medium for my Sawtooth. Looking to get a little better burn times, and the ability to use longer logs. Even with a saw, cutting logs to fit the 10" depth can be a challenge. A bigger stove means bigger wood of course, but also less cuts which saves time. I plan on doing some winter camping, so a bigger stove would be nice all around I think.

Which stove would you go with? I dont use the cook top nearly as much as I thought I would originally. I primarily use this for archery, and we do pack in a few miles typically.

I am looking to replace my stove, not add another to the gear closet.
IF you’re talking lots of winter camping rather than archery season (I got a little confused there) then I’d strongly consider the larger box stove. Even if you never cook on a flat stove, being able to make water from snow as a free byproduct of heating your shelter is a game changer IMO. In the snowy winter you can then camp darn near anywhere you want without water concerns.

OP
Tsnider

Tsnider

WKR
Seek Outside is releasing a new stove this winter, called the U-turn. The top, bottom and door appear to be the same. The sides and rear of the stove are now a single sheet of titanium. I think I am going to wait it out and see what this new stove has to offer. I'll try to remember to post up once I get one, they are hoping to release it mid November.

reaper

WKR
IF you’re talking lots of winter camping rather than archery season (I got a little confused there) then I’d strongly consider the larger box stove. Even if you never cook on a flat stove, being able to make water from snow as a free byproduct of heating your shelter is a game changer IMO. In the snowy winter you can then camp darn near anywhere you want without water concerns.
Well,I am from Qc,Canada and have some hardcore winters and a cylinder stove like LOD(18") is one of the best and you can cook on it with the help of top rods.You can put some huge logs in this stove.I also have a seekoutside box stove for spring fishing,both of them are really good stoves,winter camping trips= more woods prep,so a stove who can take 16-18" logs with a huge door is a must,never found a cylinder stove with these awesome specs.Even the biggest stove from Seekoutside "the big Mama" is 16" in lenght.The smith cylinder stove from Kifaru sucks,there is nothing to keep the shape of the body and the door is super tiny but its an option,many stoves for many scenarios,its cool to have options.
Always have more heat source from a cylinder VS a box stove.

Envoyé de mon Pixel 2 en utilisant Tapatalk

OP
Tsnider

Tsnider

WKR
Well,I am from Qc,Canada and have some hardcore winters and a cylinder stove like LOD(18") is one of the best and you can cook on it with the help of top rods.You can put some huge logs in this stove.I also have a seekoutside box stove for spring fishing,both of them are really good stoves,winter camping trips= more woods prep,so a stove who can take 16-18" logs with a huge door is a must,never found a cylinder stove with these awesome specs.Even the biggest stove from Seekoutside "the big Mama" is 16" in lenght.The smith cylinder stove from Kifaru sucks,there is nothing to keep the shape of the body and the door is super tiny but its an option,many stoves for many scenarios,its cool to have options.
Always have more heat source from a cylinder VS a box stove.

Some people complain about the assembly of the LO stove. What are you opinions on it?

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lite outdoors takes a little practice to put together not difficult just technique and it rocks the burning red when needed👍D3FC595D-59E3-44C1-88CF-5C99135B2616.jpeg

Lawnboi

WKR
Add me to the list that thinks the LO stove is a PITA to put together.

Other problem I have with it is the spark arrestor location, and not being able to clean it or remove it mid burn. Short legs are a minor annoyance as well.131418m

I haven’t owned an SO box, but I think I’ll go with that one next. I really preferred my kifaru box stove as far as assembly and burning went.

If weight is your main concern I don’t think you can beat the cylinder.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ultralight gear has some trade offs you have to find what options suit you best for me I will take a little more practice getting the lite outdoors stove together for the ability of larger wood light weight and good burn times.

Carl

FNG
I just picked up a lite outdoors last week. I upgraded from an older Ed Ts cylinder stove, and have used a seek box stove. I dont think the Lite is any harder to put together than any of the others. The big difference is the size of door and the length. As stated above. You can fit some serious wood in it. For weight-volume ratio, I dont think the Lite can be beat.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Mosby

WKR
Are the LO cylinders more prone to warpage where the pipe connects to the stove or in general than the box stoves? I saw a video review on yt and a Canadian had real problems with warpage with the LO stove. He went through 2 of them. Looked like he beat it with a hammer but I haven't seen other complaints. Thought he might not have set it up or burned it in properly.

keepriding

Lil-Rokslider
depends on your intended use and environment...and preferences.

Hilleberg is the top of the heap, I've had two. A little heavier than some, but if you don't want or cant make us of a stove and just need a tent that can have all the features and withstand the nastiest weather...hilleberg is the choice. My personal favorite is the allak.

I've used cabelas, mountain hardwear, rei, marmot, all decent tents priced in that 250-450 range, most of the tents in that price range are all kind of similar in design and materials. They work well for warmer weather and all suffer from ventilation/condensation issues, none as durable or reliable as a hilleberg.

floorless is the new thing. If its cold or wet and there will be wood to burn, its hard to argue with using them. Very spacious and even carrying a woodburning stove they are no heavier than much smaller traditional style backpack tents, yet still allow standing room. Probably an ideal route if you routinely want it to support two people hunting out of it. The biggest caveat is probably bug protection. I have plans to buy one, and will probably only use it in basecamp situations, winter or higher elevations.

KurtR

WKR
I am generally mechanically inept but i find the light outdoors stove pretty easy to put together after doing it a few times

Mosby

WKR
I am generally mechanically inept but i find the light outdoors stove pretty easy to put together after doing it a few times
Have you had a problem or issue with significant warping with your stove?

KurtR

WKR

nope none at all and last week it was cold as hell in Idaho and we used it alot this is the third year i have had it. They hole up really well for how thin they are

tdhanses

WKR

From what I can tell in researching the LO that only happens when you tighten the rods too tight and not just snug. I would think if this is done on the initial burn in then you’ll always have this issue.

tdhanses

WKR
depends on your intended use and environment...and preferences.

Hilleberg is the top of the heap, I've had two. A little heavier than some, but if you don't want or cant make us of a stove and just need a tent that can have all the features and withstand the nastiest weather...hilleberg is the choice. My personal favorite is the allak.

I've used cabelas, mountain hardwear, rei, marmot, all decent tents priced in that 250-450 range, most of the tents in that price range are all kind of similar in design and materials. They work well for warmer weather and all suffer from ventilation/condensation issues, none as durable or reliable as a hilleberg.

floorless is the new thing. If its cold or wet and there will be wood to burn, its hard to argue with using them. Very spacious and even carrying a woodburning stove they are no heavier than much smaller traditional style backpack tents, yet still allow standing room. Probably an ideal route if you routinely want it to support two people hunting out of it. The biggest caveat is probably bug protection. I have plans to buy one, and will probably only use it in basecamp situations, winter or higher elevations.

Haha, flourless is far from the new thing. Many have been doing it for years.

reaper

WKR
I had the LOD stove few years ago,the older model with the turn-buckles and this thing was a pita to set-up,when you have some good use with it and the body foil is now wrapping its hard.

Now it is super fast with the spring rods.
I just "seasoning" my stove yesterday and looks like these rods was to tight because after 45 min i got some wrap around the hole...kind of a bummer cus its not my first time playing with stoves and i done everything right....except checking the tension of the rod,i thought they were already at the right tension,they are not,I will live with it now.
5a8dd94d4d1d6d75a4949affb11a42a8.jpg
4f6aa75df138ff01747112bad6f9b3f1.jpg
4cd8009f3d794fe4604eed4bb1fbb264.jpg
fd3c234a801acc7f0a92539ab926de4c.jpg
3a76e76c212eeb5b1d65f77ab03467ef.jpg