Lite Outdoors 18" vs SO SXL

Trial153

WKR
I like the Uturn, thinking of ordering one. With smaller pipe I will have to replace my stove Jack's correct?

OP
Tsnider

Tsnider

WKR
Yeah that’s where I’m at unfortunately. Instead of the star pattern I cut a hole, so I just emailed Kifaru about getting my sawtooth stovejack replaced. It likley won’t be a big deal, but more rain and a lot of heat escaping.

tdhanses

WKR
Yeah that’s where I’m at unfortunately. Instead of the star pattern I cut a hole, so I just emailed Kifaru about getting my sawtooth stovejack replaced. It likley won’t be a big deal, but more rain and a lot of heat escaping.

If you have the regular stove there is a u-turn upgrade for it.

OP
Tsnider

Tsnider

WKR
It ends up costing almost as much as buying the new setup. And the new pipe diameter is different so you actually don’t lose as much weight doing the conversion.

I’m spending more as a whole but I’m not too bothered by it.

reaper

WKR
Well they just released it but too expensive, $366 for a medium (smallest size) with a 5ft pipe. I’ll be going with a LO saving over $100.
Yeah i thought it will be cheaper.The LOD is a beast anyways,its a good stove.

Envoyé de mon Pixel 2 en utilisant Tapatalk
938eef757045cf2f8e45a5344fbaac50.jpg
8afaed94b05b14f5d1d9e7c77d9fa5cb.jpg
c84d8c2c7e351333eb09517762345a69.jpg

tdhanses

WKR
It ends up costing almost as much as buying the new setup. And the new pipe diameter is different so you actually don’t lose as much weight doing the conversion.

I’m spending more as a whole but I’m not too bothered by it.

Conversion is only $60. I wonder what the weight diff is in the pipe .5oz per foot?

OP
Tsnider

Tsnider

WKR
My stove is a medium. So to covert to a large would require the entire large box conversion kit, plus the uturn coversion kit.

tdhanses

WKR
My stove is a medium. So to covert to a large would require the entire large box conversion kit, plus the uturn coversion kit.

Oh yeah, I was just thinking to convert medium to medium. What are you going to do with your medium?

reaper

WKR
I was hoping the price point of these would be a little lower. Tough decision over a LO.

i tought it was going to be less expensive,9-10$ of saving Standard VS U-turn for what ever the size we choose.The foil body will have to be change before a standard for sure.So at the end you will be spending more money and get litlle less heat...it is only for the ultralight onces counters thats it.The design is cool but i dont see any advantages here...i prefer to keep my heat and not %$cking around with my stove jack.

Having viewed the new U-Turn ti stove from Seek Outside, I'm impressed. I've long touted the TiGoat WiFi stove as maybe the best flattop stove I've ever used. The main problem with it is a lack of ability to completely shut down or control air intake. It burns great, but there is simply not enough restriction on air flow when fire control is needed. The U-Turn looks like a hybrid, taking the best features of the WiFi and a cube (box) stove to create a light and sturdy unit with excellent air control.

I've personally never been too intrigued by the cylinder stoves I've seen. I don't care for how most of them sit extremely close to the ground, and I've yet to see one which was truly useful for cooking. The LO stove looks to be the best of the group, but I'll be favoring a flattop stove which sits higher for more convenient loading and management.

Carl

FNG
Having viewed the new U-Turn ti stove from Seek Outside, I'm impressed. I've long touted the TiGoat WiFi stove as maybe the best flattop stove I've ever used. The main problem with it is a lack of ability to completely shut down or control air intake. It burns great, but there is simply not enough restriction on air flow when fire control is needed. The U-Turn looks like a hybrid, taking the best features of the WiFi and a cube (box) stove to create a light and sturdy unit with excellent air control.

I've personally never been too intrigued by the cylinder stoves I've seen. I don't care for how most of them sit extremely close to the ground, and I've yet to see one which was truly useful for cooking. The LO stove looks to be the best of the group, but I'll be favoring a flattop stove which sits higher for more convenient loading and management.
I have spent a lot of time in my cimarron with a Lite Outdoors 18" stove this year, as well as two nights in another cimarron with a medium box stove.
Yes, the height is nice for tending the fire, but with it sitting low, and the heat rising, you are effectively heating more of the shelter. I could see this first hand between the two stoves by the height of the frost line inside the shelter.
Cooking, the flat top is definitely quicker, but I have gone from snow to water on my LO in less than ten minutes. Also, the depth of the LO is a huge advantage. I was recently camped at a spot that is very popular with wall tents. There was extra firewood everywhere, all I had to do was gather rounds that would for through the door, or split it. With a smaller stove, I would have had to saw every piece in half. One night, burning good fir, I only had to stoke the fire once, at 2 am, to make it all night.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

tdhanses

WKR
Picked up the LO 12” stove, did the initial burn in and very minimal warping. Pipe fits in the stove body very tight as well.

I ran the springs towards the back and put the rods right up against the pipe.

504736BD-A0C0-4E05-8F54-CE518F5812C4.jpeg086509BE-D86A-4475-8D0C-614CF172819D.jpegF2BAA78E-74AD-432F-A996-A2D32CFD954A.jpeg

nrh6.7

WKR
Do most put the damper on top of the rods or under? Wonder if putting them under could be causing the warping/denting around the pipe.

I went back and forth on the LO and SXL for way too long and finally just decided to buy the SXL for the ability to cook if wanted. I figured that the small weight penalty on the SO would be offset by its versatility. Plus, the amount didn't seem that much and I would have to guess the baffle on the LO would add at least a few ozs to the total. Hopefully I like my decision.

reaper

WKR
Exact same thing here, now using the sxl from seekoutside with the ultra sparks arrestor.

The LOD is a pita to assemble when the body have some good wraps.The first burn is crucial,you need to burn the stove without the pipe and have the rods at their lower settings.
1cc9f01ba63576d336b870aef0ea092d.jpg
2532cb57bff308577dedb8d3d1e90fc6.jpg
85152c16c1655f043261c12f4d39a820.jpg

Envoyé de mon Pixel 2 en utilisant Tapatalk