Lite weight tripod

Sled

WKR
I'm currently running a 3.5lb slik 340 that doesn't pack or carry very well and looking to lose some weight. 1.25lbs at least would be nice. i plan to purchase a kramer granite peak for the incidental glassing but i'm looking for a 2lb day hunt tripod with twist leg extensions and a good head. i'm undecided on pan vs ball. i've really only used pan heads but if the weight savings and packability are greatly increased by going ball then i guess i could try to get used to it.

a couple i've been looking at:

oben ct 2431​

Sirui A-1205​

Sirui T-025SK​

Vortex SS-P​

i'm open to other ideas but want to stay below 2.25lbs with head and shorter than 16" folded if possible. i'd like to be able to fit it inside my kuiu icon 1600.

OP
Sled

Sled

WKR
anybody have a suggestion even?

i've been through some of the old threads but haven't seen much consensus other than the va5 fluid head is a good pairing with any tripod

TravisIN

WKR
I have a summit ssp. I replaced the head with a neewer fluid pan head. The whole setup weighs 2lb 11oz if i remember correct. It’s solid for 65 mm spotters. I’d like to figure out how to remove the last section of the legs just because I never use them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

68Plexi

WKR
I'm currently running a 3.5lb slik 340 that doesn't pack or carry very well and looking to lose some weight. 1.25lbs at least would be nice. i plan to purchase a kramer granite peak for the incidental glassing but i'm looking for a 2lb day hunt tripod with twist leg extensions and a good head. i'm undecided on pan vs ball. i've really only used pan heads but if the weight savings and packability are greatly increased by going ball then i guess i could try to get used to it.

a couple i've been looking at:

oben ct 2431​

Sirui A-1205​

Sirui T-025SK​

Vortex SS-P​

i'm open to other ideas but want to stay below 2.25lbs with head and shorter than 16" folded if possible. i'd like to be able to fit it inside my kuiu icon 1600.

I have a Vortex Summit SSP I’d be willing to part with if you’re interested. Checks all your boxes. 35.9oz and 14” folded. Fits in my Icon Pro 1850 with room to spare. PM me if you want pics or any more details.

I had a mefoto and felt like it was way too tall and a bit heavy at 3ish lbs. I found i actually never used it standing up like i thought i would so the height was unnecessary.

I recently got a sirui AM-025K which starts at 1.58 lbs and then i removed the center post since i dont need it to be 52" tall, then i put a benro s2 video head on it which weighs 12.8 ozs. Head is only rated for 5.5 lbs but thats plenty for my kowa 77mm spotter. Super light, i will weigh it for ya if you'd like but i imagine its around 2.25 lbs. For a sitting tripod with fluid head, not sure how much lighter you could get, especially for the money. Paid $127 for an open box deal on the tripod and the head was $95

OP
Sled

Sled

WKR
I had a mefoto and felt like it was way too tall and a bit heavy at 3ish lbs. I found i actually never used it standing up like i thought i would so the height was unnecessary.

I recently got a sirui AM-025K which starts at 1.58 lbs and then i removed the center post since i dont need it to be 52" tall, then i put a benro s2 video head on it which weighs 12.8 ozs. Head is only rated for 5.5 lbs but thats plenty for my kowa 77mm spotter. Super light, i will weigh it for ya if you'd like but i imagine its around 2.25 lbs. For a sitting tripod with fluid head, not sure how much lighter you could get, especially for the money. Paid $127 for an open box deal on the tripod and the head was $95

thanks to all for the replies. i ended up going with the sirui am-025k on an open box buy from amazon. hopefully it works out with the ball head but if not, i'll swap it for the va-5.

thanks to all for the replies. i ended up going with the sirui am-025k on an open box buy from amazon. hopefully it works out with the ball head but if not, i'll swap it for the va-5.
It actually comes with a pretty decent ball head

TravisIN

WKR
Look at these heads. I’ve used one for filming from a treestand for years and have been very happy with it. It’s all aluminum so nothing is really gonna break. I cut the handle down for the one I have on my tripod for glassing. It’s a really solid head. Especially since it’s cheap. Way better than what came on my vortex tripod and made it way better. Here some pics of it all on a scale.

d2d028555382f83e86a7a89adf21f1c0.jpg

79c80fe0eb209c9971423e6cd56d3755.jpg

KH-6750 Aluminum Alloy Camera Tripod Head Fluid Video Tripod Head Compatible for Canon, Nikon, DSLR Cameras with 1/4", 3/8" Thread https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0761KV9XN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_9MSBBF6ERFC2J4FFBNNB

I started out with a Slik 624 with a Manfrotto RC2 pan head (if I remember the name right) and it was 3.5#. Solid set up but way too heavy and bulky for my needs. Switched to a Siri t-005kx with a ball head that has a panning feature and haven’t looked back. After a few mods it weighs 1# 14oz and packs small. I’m primarily a sitting bino glassing guy. I’ve used it up to a vortex razor 85 but prefer using 2 eyes and haven’t used a spotter in years. Price was around $130 last time I looked.
5819284847ca92b4b877af9b60fd2b8b.jpg

771090a47d72d5f8dcc25711a2663bd8.jpg

38a113dbdd79b7dd05fdeaa1d47e205b.jpg

22lr

WKR
I use a Vortex High Country, with the bottom segment removed. Still plenty high for using binos while sitting or angled spotting scope while standing. With the bottom section removed it weighs 29.6oz. Its lever lock legs vs twist though... head is pretty decent for the money, but its a budget tripod (I think I got mine used for like $65, and at that price point its unbeatable).

Smokey12

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the Aoka from amazon after I read about it here. It's awesome for what it is. I think a little over a pound.

cmw

FNG
Wiser Precision makes a tripod that uses your trekking poles plus a third leg. No experience but it looks really interesting.

ProMaster XC-M 525CKl is 2# 5oz but is still rock solid. Get the silver head version for $220 right now on Amazon. I swapped to the SPCH20 head but used the QR plate from the head that was included. Total weight is 3# 4oz.​

It works for my heaviest optics.
Lego Tripod Head.jpg

Last edited:
I recently bought this as a lightweight option primarily for binoculars and shooting off of, but occasional spotter use also.

So far it seems to be much sturdier than I expected, I haven’t had a chance to put my 65mm spotter on it yet but should this week.

My plan is to pick up a heavier tripod for more substantial spotter use.