LiteOutdoors Ti Stove W/ Baffle Problems

Tman24

Lil-Rokslider
How does the burn time vary with the baffle? That is my main desire to extend burn times. Don’t need max heat as the stove heats the Redcliff quickly.

I really didn’t notice a difference in burn time. Possibly because we could fit more wood in without the baffle.
Overall I was more pleased running it without the baffle.
I’m going to try making the baffle shorter and see how that works.

Pn8hall

WKR
I have had the same issues with mine as well. Baffle definately increases burn time but the damn thing is so finicky with the vents being open/closed just right. Did not make a difference without baffle though. This past October I actually stopped using it 4 days into the trip. I couldnt take another night of being either smoked out or the fire going out completely because the vents were closed too much. The damn chugging would start and startle me awake. The idea of having to crack the door open is to risky for me. I am too paranoid that a spark will jump out and start a fire in the tipi. Maybe just me though. We burned aspen mainly and the damn creosote build up was ridiculous after just 1 1/2 nights burning for a total of about 6 hours at most. What a pain in the ass. Anybody else have that issue? It sucks getting back to camp at night and then having to heat up the flue pipe so I can dismantle it just to have to clean all the creosote out of it. I all I wanted to do was eat dinner and go to sleep. Maybe I was doing something wrong but I am done with the damn thing I think. Threw it out of the tipi on the 4th night and we just added extra baselayers to sleep the rest of the trip. I will say this though. It is a well built piece and goes together nicely but I feel its design needs improvement.

CLibka

Lil-Rokslider
@LiteOutdoors You were going to make a new video showing the correct process for getting this stove running correctly did you ever get around to it? I am struggling to want to take this back into the woods without knowing how to make it run correctly. Can you weigh in please?

OP
T

TexasCub

WKR
I PM’d Liteoutdoors and told him it would behoove him to bring some clarity to this thread. If someone reads this thread I’m pretty sure they are going to buy a different stove!

Vandy321

WKR
I'm about to pull the trigger on this stove. Does it run just fine without the baffle? If so, might just do that and then add the baffle after LO weighs in on how they suggest to get the stove up to temp avoiding the angry dragon act.

Pn8hall

WKR
For me the baffle did not make a difference..... Without the baffle I did notice less creosote buildup though. Anyone else have the creosote issues?

CLibka

Lil-Rokslider
I'm about to pull the trigger on this stove. Does it run just fine without the baffle? If so, might just do that and then add the baffle after LO weighs in on how they suggest to get the stove up to temp avoiding the angry dragon act.
The huffing and puffing occurred without the baffle in my instance. The Backfire is the most concerning thing in my experience. Shot sparks all over the tent. I might have one for sale here soon if I can't get it figured out ;) Just kidding of course.

Bobbyboe

WKR
The huffing and puffing occurred without the baffle in my instance. The Backfire is the most concerning thing in my experience. Shot sparks all over the tent. I might have one for sale here soon if I can't get it figured out ;) Just kidding of course.

I still had issues without the baffle also. Not sure what the design flaw is, but I didn't want to mess with it on a hunting trip. Returned it. Have a different stove now, without any on the LO issues.

Vandy321

WKR
I still had issues without the baffle also. Not sure what the design flaw is, but I didn't want to mess with it on a hunting trip. Returned it. Have a different stove now, without any on the LO issues.

Quick sidebar, and not to derail, but anyone who went from the LO to the Smith stove, is it just as packable? I liked the idea of the LO having the chimney and cylinder in a tube like sack that would easily strap to side of pack

They let you return it used like that?

Yes, it was good customer service in that respect. But in reality, the backfire is a huge safety issue! It could easily start a fire inside your tent.

Yeah I’m not thrilled with mine but I don’t have much experience with it yet, could be mostly user error

FlyGuy

WKR
I have both the smith and the LO stoves. While I find the “huffing” happens more often in the LO, it is really very minor. Just tweak the door vents (open) and the pipe baffle (closed). Should have it stopped in seconds.

You can’t cheat the mountain

KurtR

WKR
The pipe damper I have found is key to controlling the stove. There is a sweet spot about half way open I have found

CLibka

Lil-Rokslider
I have both the smith and the LO stoves. While I find the “huffing” happens more often in the LO, it is really very minor. Just tweak the door vents (open) and the pipe baffle (closed). Should have it stopped in seconds.

You can’t cheat the mountain
I'm probably just bad at making it work, but the balance on this stove just seems so fickle. Those movements seem like the solution, but too far one way ... dead fire. Too far another ... smoky tent. Again, I would love to see a video of someone damping this stove down effectively for longer burns without huffle puff and/or cheech and chong.

Vandy321

WKR
I PM’d Liteoutdoors and told him it would behoove him to bring some clarity to this thread. If someone reads this thread I’m pretty sure they are going to buy a different stove!

Did you ever hear back from LO?

Beendare

WKR
There is a learning curve with all of these stoves. ...it helps to understand these.

First they are compact.......a compact stove will always be touchier than a bigger volume stove.

They work best with a medium fire- not too much...not too little. So you have to keep feeding them evenly.

You have to take care in assembly- making sure the baffle doesn't restrict the pipe and is seated properly with the right spacing.

They aren't airtight so keeping them venting is critical.

Its best to start them with fine twigs....a small hot fire to get it venting.

You have to make sure any screens [at the top or bottom of the pipe are clean,,,,and you can't let the ash build up too much.

My stove works like a champ....but then I've been using stoves for 30+ years. You have to keep your buddy from trying to cram it chock full of wood.

reaper

WKR
I had liteoutdoors stove and it was one of the best stove, just don't use the baffle, put a damper kit from seekoutside or kifaru or built it yourself and that thing is getting you warm and able to cook on it.
3f5321647d3ac0facce777952a1f4303.jpg
c21798ebc6297b16e83c95e1c3d134b2.jpg

Envoyé de mon Pixel 2 en utilisant Tapatalk