Liteoutdoors tipi

ptarmigan

FNG
Anybody have experience yet with their Tipi setup? I know their Ti stoves are pretty highly regarded, but their tipi just came out last fall. For $670 you get the plateau 5 tipi and stove hot tent setup which seems like a great deal. I have to assume they wouldn’t put out a bad product but being so new I’d like to hear some other opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimbob

WKR
I am in the market for a new shelter, and living in Canada this obviously intrigues me. However, I do not like the size, It's too big for two people and too small for 3.

It would be an absolute palace for two and more weight for that luxury. However, I think 3 with gear would be a bit tight. Just feels like an in-between size.

OP
P

ptarmigan

FNG
I'm thinking about for me and my two boys. They're 13 and 10 right now. I think it would be enough room for us 3 sleeping with a stove, but not enough for any added gear. That isn't a huge concern as my hunts are usually boat based and my gear is all in dry bags to begin with. It's hard for me to justify spending more than double that price for a tipi from someone else. For that coin I might as well get an arctic oven and actually have something. The asking prices for tipi's from Seek and Kifaru are a bit nuts if you ask me. You can buy a lot of tent for the same money.

Jimbob

WKR
If it works for you then I bet it would be great. However, I do not see how a shelter for three that doesn't fit gear works. Where are your clothes? where is the woodpile? where do you dry out wet clothes? I would think you need some kind of secondary shelter to make it work, I would anyways.

Not arguing here but why do think the Arctic oven is a lot of tent but not a redcliff or 8 man? I get that the artic is a great tent and if needed would be a great choice. BUT if a large floorless with a stove is the same price but fits the use better then why wouldn't it be worth that high cost?

I can live without a stove so to make the cost easier to swallow I will just buy the shelter first. If I feel the need for the stove then I will add that later.

Like you I am tempted to go the liteoutdoors route for the savings and make it work but I feel like I would regret my decision and want to upgrade in the future. I would be open to trying it out and seeing if I could make it work but unsure if I want to risk it.

Would love to hear your thoughts if you do get it.

reaper

WKR
Check on the forum i posted some pictures i found online,size is good,color is awful,sold by LOD in Canada but materials and sewing from Asian Not all Asian stuff are bad but ordering from Canada i prefer something made IN Canada.

Envoyé de mon Pixel 2 en utilisant Tapatalk

I bought it at the end of this fall, haven't really put it to the test yet but did set it up to burn in the stove.

Initial impressions:
Very roomy. No I wouldn't squeeze 3 guys plus all their gear in there with the stove but I don't intend to. I often just store me and my son's packs under some tree canopy anyway but this will have plenty of room for the two of us plus gear and a helinox chair. As far as room for a wood pile and to dry gear I feel like there would be plenty even with 3 dudes as long as you're not too insecure in your manhood and don't mind being within a foot or so of another male. There are loops inside for a clothesline and there's a video on youtube where they had 3 guys sleeping in there with some gear and wood plus a big rack they had made to dry out clothes. Packs were outside though obviously, if you're going in with 3 dudes I think one can sack up and carry a sheep tarp or something for the gear if the forecast looks ugly...dry bags work too. I would definitely prefer the extra room with two people as opposed to a cramped shelter stepping over each other and dancing around a hot stove to get out and take a piss.
Stove jack is behind the center pole. Definitely handy for coming and going.
Entrance zipper is in the middle, I think it's a much more convenient layout that the TUT.
Good amount of standing room. Finally I can stand up all the way inside my tent! My shoulders do touch the sides a bit when I do so make sure you put that microfiber towel to use in the morning before you start changing...will be nice to not have to layer up standing like Quasimodo though.
Generous snow/sod skirt. Think it was advertised as 9", goes down past the stake points plenty low enough to seal out drafts/spindrift, can just jack up the center pole if you want to set it up with more ventilation. The vents in the top don't close but they do provide good airflow and keep the tent from smoking up too bad when you're trying to get a draft going at the beginning of your fire, not too worried about water getting in. The door also zips both ways so you can vent it at the top if you need more ventilation. Curious to see how it does with condensation but I had asked about a liner when I bought it and Brennen said they're working on one that should be out this year and will be compatible with old models.
Only real complaint so far is that it is a bit bulky when packed up, that's the penalty paid for extra room though I guess. I probably wouldn't notice that at all if I came from a floored shelter of any sort but I generally just use a small tarp for my son and I so probably any hot tent would seem bulky to me right now. May experiment with putting it in the compression sack with my sleeping bag and see how that works.

I plan on putting together a more in depth review after I've spent some more time in it this spring but so far with my limited experience I'm quite happy with it. I also talked to everyone I could that's purchased one and couldn't find anyone that had any complaints, seemed like much less catch and release going on than with other hot tents.

Medusa7MM

WKR
Appreciate the info guys! I was getting ready to buy a SO 6 man tipi or the Redcliff and a friend told me about the Liteoutdoors Tipi. Seems like an easy choice considering the price difference?

reaper

WKR
Appreciate the info guys! I was getting ready to buy a SO 6 man tipi or the Redcliff and a friend told me about the Liteoutdoors Tipi. Seems like an easy choice considering the price difference?
Really not the same quality fabric,also heavier but if money is tight looks like a good choice,i like the stove jack location,the stove will not get in the way when you get inside the tipi.

Really not the same quality fabric,also heavier but if money is tight looks like a good choice,i like the stove jack location,the stove will not get in the way when you get inside the tipi.

Ya ya I already mentioned the stove jack location Reaper, get your own material! :LOL: Just playing, Reaper was actually a big help in making my decision to pull the trigger on this shelter, he had originally pointed that out to me and I certainly did take note of the benefits of that when I was going in and out of the shelter.

I should have also mentioned ease of setup, took me no time to set it up the first time by myself in the dark to burn in the stove.

In regards to the weight, the Redcliff is advertised as 4lbs 14oz with a carbon pole and stakes. The plateau with the aluminum pole is 4lbs 7oz, I just weighed the stakes and guyout tensioners it came with and they were 7oz with the bag so if my math is correct the plateau with an identical pole would actually be slightly lighter...may have to run that by Brennen as an upgrade option. Slightly different dimensions, the Redcliff is 2ft narrower and 2.5ft longer and the plateau is a couple inches taller so not quite apples to apples but fairly close.

Going to play with a couple different packing methods this week to see what the best method is, will post some photos when I do.

reaper

WKR
Ya ya I already mentioned the stove jack location Reaper, get your own material! Just playing, Reaper was actually a big help in making my decision to pull the trigger on this shelter, he had originally pointed that out to me and I certainly did take note of the benefits of that when I was going in and out of the shelter.

I should have also mentioned ease of setup, took me no time to set it up the first time by myself in the dark to burn in the stove.

In regards to the weight, the Redcliff is advertised as 4lbs 14oz with a carbon pole and stakes. The plateau with the aluminum pole is 4lbs 7oz, I just weighed the stakes and guyout tensioners it came with and they were 7oz with the bag so if my math is correct the plateau with an identical pole would actually be slightly lighter...may have to run that by Brennen as an upgrade option. Slightly different dimensions, the Redcliff is 2ft narrower and 2.5ft longer and the plateau is a couple inches taller so not quite apples to apples but fairly close.

Going to play with a couple different packing methods this week to see what the best method is, will post some photos when I do.
We want pictures man

Lucci

FNG
I am glad I am doing some research on here for Tipi’s. Hadn’t checked this one out yet but will definitely be looking into it.

We want pictures man

So I'm actually pretty pleased with this experiment. My one main knock on this shelter was how bulky it seemed packed up...I've seen the sawtooth and it was no bigger packed up than that I'm just used to running a 10x10 silnylon tarp pitched as a 3 sided tipi so it took up next to no room in my pack but was also like sleeping in a drawer. This is how the plateau comes packed up, I know some people do prefer the long cylinders for packing and maybe I will find it carries better that way but I just wanted to see how small I could get it.

I popped it in an old bowling ball style compression sack and cinched it down with my 20° sleeping bag just out of curiosity, this is it packed with that method.

Going to look at upgrading my pad this year and consolidating my whole sleep system in this compression sack. Will have to run the pole on the side of my pack this way (or sneak it in my son's lol) but this setup won't be taking up any more room in my pack than the 10x10 tarp with my old synthetic bag, fingers crossed my experiment with hydrophobic down this season goes well.

Medusa7MM

WKR
So I'm actually pretty pleased with this experiment. My one main knock on this shelter was how bulky it seemed packed up...I've seen the sawtooth and it was no bigger packed up than that I'm just used to running a 10x10 silnylon tarp pitched as a 3 sided tipi so it took up next to no room in my pack but was also like sleeping in a drawer. This is how the plateau comes packed up, I know some people do prefer the long cylinders for packing and maybe I will find it carries better that way but I just wanted to see how small I could get it.

View attachment 144551

I popped it in an old bowling ball style compression sack and cinched it down with my 20° sleeping bag just out of curiosity, this is it packed with that method.

View attachment 144552View attachment 144553

Going to look at upgrading my pad this year and consolidating my whole sleep system in this compression sack. Will have to run the pole on the side of my pack this way (or sneak it in my son's lol) but this setup won't be taking up any more room in my pack than the 10x10 tarp with my old synthetic bag, fingers crossed my experiment with hydrophobic down this season goes well.

Thanks for the update.

Real world, how do you think the lite outdoors fabric would compare to the seek outside fabric for light to moderate use? It appears that seek outside uses 30d and lite outdoors is 20d so seek would get the slight not on durability. Lite outdoors doesn’t publish its hydrostatic head but I’m wondering how much of a difference one might notice to justify almost double the price

We want pictures man

Finally got a chance to get out, put the shelter to the test and take some photos. Didn't have very extreme conditions to test it in but had some decent winds and low enough temps. Shelter did great in the wind and it was below 20 outside but mid 80s inside the tent. Shelter is an outright palace for one, plenty of room for me plus my son and our backpacking gear and we could more than likely squeeze one more dude in with no issues. Condensation was pretty brutal in the morning but can't say it was worse than any other floorless shelter I've used and I didn't have very dry ground to set up on. All in all very pleased with it so far, it's my first "hot tent" so take my initial impressions with that in mind but I would definitely recommend it based on my limited experience so far, hopefully it continues to shine in the long run!

XBGeHdS.jpg

wZLTV3C.jpg

VouY2UD.jpg

oHAgBab.jpg

QicFXIG.jpg

reaper

WKR
Finally got a chance to get out, put the shelter to the test and take some photos. Didn't have very extreme conditions to test it in but had some decent winds and low enough temps. Shelter did great in the wind and it was below 20 outside but mid 80s inside the tent. Shelter is an outright palace for one, plenty of room for me plus my son and our backpacking gear and we could more than likely squeeze one more dude in with no issues. Condensation was pretty brutal in the morning but can't say it was worse than any other floorless shelter I've used and I didn't have very dry ground to set up on. All in all very pleased with it so far, it's my first "hot tent" so take my initial impressions with that in mind but I would definitely recommend it based on my limited experience so far, hopefully it continues to shine in the long run!

XBGeHdS.jpg

wZLTV3C.jpg

VouY2UD.jpg

oHAgBab.jpg

QicFXIG.jpg
Wow man your pictures are really great!!

Medusa7MM

WKR

Thanks for the update. Bad ass pics as well!