Little rant about "non-grown ups"

Rob5589

WKR
So my daughter (13) draws a reservation at Yolo refuge (California) for today so we head out this morning to hunt. We pick a blind and head out. When we open the lids the tanks are full of shit; shells, ammo boxes, water bottles, heater pack wrappers, etc. My daughter asks, "WTF is this?" "This isn't cool and will ruin hunting for everyone out here." She is/was thoroughly disappointed in how people treat "our" (the public) hunting lands.
Being a slow day with only a couple of birds down, she hops out of the blind and starts picking up empty shells, totally of her own volition. I asked her what she was doing and she told me that someone had to do it. So she went around the blind and grabbed as many as she could but even then there were still a bunch around.
So for f^&ks sake, please clean up after yourself. It is hard enough to keep hunting alive in this anti-everything state as it is.

Bkiin2rXyldE7mrJ_g5SKby1CIE3Cw7MH-jnzsmVqy_b9VfbdfoBI2iEiFIdy2T9V17Sw5XPg2zA-CpIKNp4FxCIs-YrGmkHqRIo1apuxZ80TmHIt3-jlrnQ7JfsgXhsc1ezC6KHFpKTdn97A_qk3rh0rDmz_k8fsMphCznWdl6ACGHgrUHcdHWxjYAutHe18AkqlcBKabmEed3o_U_PjZlRKBzCPjzOJ7UWD-a6czB3Jzt5ALhQa-9PjB97XdO_ACef27O5Oqqe0MK5OeJf199rUi89WP8ZfTDjyG1mcvJ9Sg3ElBGU6lLLnVyhly9tUNP5REDk7GVC7q7ZZs3gul9pvUPo0LhbgrRDIItet3JMUy_36fSIfTDaioJpQ3C8AfsApT16tMt7daS8Es3G3yfAt8W-R4PGoHqI7lRETdOcMQ7-AlcinD64B5wEMdywoMVXReSdRXzm1-eMvZORZGDLq_LDygSkPopvtXJHkHIuVSEtcrtubIZ7GpR4HbPTREzBiiD4gJZIuUeFHNCXyi3MtPlxJPdpXFXaWyA_aC64SM9edwOGTXiKp16Xz3VRgcwpuGtBRbnJsMSf7Tfjc09nzJGqEdAirx0B1cqudi6GR4ac3wRyQXeGZl3lU4ozkw54k6e1879eWQdwZqnFNFqNMetRYkYbU8gOG69q6ona6Tra_0SYzg=w469-h625-no

mk5NGBToVfV6CKMX1xUaTMBGJUrYR6DX1BYsRI4KwYzjlh2pidD_pfhJXmhv85dDre8-QWxN-fwApQffomJSgetvdrRRngKrmv7ssG0LTfJIPKu_mUrHo4roJCSTKQI0LTX_Xumt2FwpfGtVCT0bKYX05MAKDqtXLCjoed4bo2mFdhKuiqPJrLf8pqJXGJA5sMf4CP55LZdNkUcFwTmKrqNO2LdVxu4jHa2AvJil369cqwoXKdn_fk2fRUcqi0SacHZ42qRVa9ymANk1GHqqYXlNzk7-kW9NlMUcEL2DYOdG1QTncyyvaHYt6mp8YK3BMkHU-Qg5ZxpDe8a9blkDsDIxebhtOThxDEBQ7x_oDY8hXoOXwuUw6470oTaUYkZJnRRRYyQxHKprOwBZT5ZLbPoKIfePFYXayaKLktIgwTJntS33We2Ikk4DNHsuoWt0mn27ko1GMX0deMAgiLG9ly923_9w5TLP_qZQt2XP4Mz0a6-GncsmhhL-LOSqOaH-hcePL2eVwUeWO72kM9luDnItQXUtJotgxAKihwvrHu3HUCenSAsNQZkrbaymPYFbx2sPy6rwCr6PIsAr6_59pJhg1AG8vqJ61Cblk24Jf9VqSf12Z5FV04a6dc6N4I6p6EjRMiMGFUxTV2a828cKMYh0G7EGIo7ScB_WshfUTp8pbu4hmDnCjQ=w469-h625-no

elkduds

WKR
1. A big thank you to your daughter for caring and making it better, and for you who raised her thus.

2. Use the reservation system to bust those jerks. Show your pics to the entity that makes reservations. They know who used the blind before you.

Randle

WKR
Look like you raised her right . Keep it up, enjoy your time together. We have a public [outlaw] shooting range close to town. I don't even use it anymore. Refrigerators. dishwashers. propane bottles pumpkins, you name they haul it out and shoot it. And of course leave it there. When I used it 20 plus years ago I would haul some stuff out.

jspradley

WKR
Good on her! It's disgraceful the way some of "us" treat our public lands. I bet they'd be the first to scream about how "we are all in the same boat" at any criticism too.

Good on her for cleaning up.

Every off season I make trips to my favorite public land spots just to clean up the trash left in the parking areas. It's despicable that hunters and other outdoors enthusiast would treat their public access areas this way.

Had the same issue the other day on a different CA refuge, hunting out of a “popular” tule clump. I just don’t understand what would bring a person to litter like that. A few empty shells I can sort of understand. But plastic bottles, baggies, candy wrappers...classic SLOB hunters.

I see the same crap here in western Washington it’s a bunch of bs. My family and I go out a few times each summer and pick up trash it seems like as soon as we leave someone comes and dumps more crap it drives me crazy.

OP
Rob5589

Rob5589

WKR
Thanks all. She is a great kid; still a teenage girl though, for those that understand that :LOL: She is on a mission. She read me a letter she is sending to the fish and wildlife along with pictures. My little activist.

Rich M

WKR
I did that once and one of our local Leo's told me he'd cite me for having too many shells (25 shell limit) if he caught me doing it again. Said the shell limit applies to shells and hulls.

He said that's what the after season cleanups are for.

brsnow

WKR
After the thaw here in CO between the beer cans and used baby wipes, we have had to find a new spring area to camp. We pick up what we can but soiled baby wipes is a bit much for me.

Really pisses me off.

I used to stop on Forest Service Roads in the National Forest and send one of the kids out to scoop up garbage that we spotted. I felt that I was doing a good “dad” thing, helping to train the kids to be good stewards and burning off some of their pent up energy.

Then I had a conversation with a Forest Service guy. He warned me about the frequency of used needles thrown out with the garbage.

Now, the kids watch me stop, get out of the truck and carefully pick up the crap while looking for hazards.

I don’t like meth-heads and junkies.

BuzzH

WKR
Every year we clean up a shooting area just north of town here on a piece of BLM land. Every year, its the same 5-6 pickup loads of shot up TV's, furniture, bottles, cans, boxes, etc. etc. etc.

It gets old that people cant pick up after themselves.

LostArra

WKR
Anyone who lives in a rural area knows that your road or driveway becomes a dumping ground for carpet, mattresses, old tvs, yard waste and broken toys. The beer cans are almost a minor inconvenience.

Azone

WKR
Anyone who lives in a rural area knows that your road or driveway becomes a dumping ground for carpet, mattresses, old tvs, yard waste and broken toys. The beer cans are almost a minor inconvenience.

Couldn't be more true. It just really sucks when they dont get the recliner and love seat all the way off the pavement. Ask me how I know......

OP
Rob5589

Rob5589

WKR
I did that once and one of our local Leo's told me he'd cite me for having too many shells (25 shell limit) if he caught me doing it again. Said the shell limit applies to shells and hulls.

You know, that did cross my mind. Luckily didn't run into any green jeans.

BadDogPSD

WKR
It's bad & seems to be getting worse. I will do my best to pick up as any trash I find. But the jerks that poop on the roads & trails are extra special.

Phat Cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
My partner & I hunted the same elk spot for 3 years in a row. Its a pretty good drive into the spot before we even start hiking in. We never so much as seen a sole back there in 3 years straight. The 4th year we ran into 7 other hunters several groups on the first day we of course hiked miles past where most set up shop. So fast forward a few days later we come out to head home nobody in sight. We had maybe a half of a trash bag of garbage once we packed up camp and unloaded or meal wrappers and stuff from our packs. We didn't make it a mile on the jeep trail we use in and out of the place before we seen some trash in the road so we picked it up we didn't go 200 more feet before running into more. We stopped where it looked like somebody had there truck sitting and there was shit everywhere. By the time we finished to 45min 14 odd mile crawl out of there just to the gravel road we filled the rest of our trash bag and almost another (mostly Bud Light cans, piece of a bumper shroud & half busted up styrofoam cooler) NO EXAGGERATION! I was completely disgusted. Where I used to hunt as a kid and never seen anybody now looks like a Motocross track. I here people talking all kinds of shit about hunters where I live and well shit! I can even rebuke most of it.

jspradley

WKR

That's a shame... what a stupid regulation and stupid way for the LEO to enforce it

I ran into a bunch of empty corn bags on NF land opening day here in TX (apparently it's impossible to kill a deer without a pile of corn in TX) and was paranoid about picking them up and getting stopped by a warden and ticketed for doing the right things so I marked their location on OnX and took pics of the bags where they were. Luckily I didn't get stopped.