Little thing that are going in your pack

I tend to take stuff I really dont need in the back country. So this year I'm trying to cut back on all the stuff and lighten the load a little. I'm trying to only put things in that I absolutly need or that have multiple purpose. Like I recently found out that Afrin is great at clearing your sinuses but it can also stop bleeding on smaller cuts, so its going in the pack. What little secrets do you guys know about that are a must in the back country for you?

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Copenhagen is a must, but it only has one real purpose.

I'm doing the same things this year J..... Dropping all I can and running as light as possible!

You running the same shelter this season?

I am cutting weight in a lot of areas. going from the msr hubba hubba to a fly creek ul 2. Got a havalon pirant and baracuda. trimming some unused and single purpose items from my pack as well. Hope to shave about 8 lbs total.

cmeier117

WKR
Dropping 3lbs by going to T2.. Was hoping on a Super Tarp but I think I may have to wait awhile. Be carrying the 8.5 lb coleman tent. Only one more year than I can drop 7 lbs of my pack weight!!

It's easy to come up with a long list of stuff to pack when you make up a packing list. To keep mine small I have started putting down just the basics first and then thinking hard on what I will actually need/use once I get there. The basics are a pack, a sleeping bag and sleeping pad, something to cook on, something to eat and drink, my survival/emergency gear, a minimum change of clothes, and my hunting specific gear. Everything else is a luxury, but we all like to take some luxuries with us. :)

Pack: KUIU ICON 6000

Shelter: Shangrila-5 (sometimes with nest or bucket floor if it will be buggy or wet)

Sleeping System: TNF Cats Meow with fleece liner, Thermarest inflatable pad

Water: hydration bladder in pack, 1-2 lightweight plastic water bottles, aquamira tablets, coffee filters

Cooking: JetBoil PCS with can of fuel, long handle spoon from an old MRE, some paper towels for clean up

Survival/Emergency Gear: my standard survival kit and FAK

Hunting Gear: binos, extra bow string, knife

Clothing: rain gear, an insulating layer, one extra shirt, one extra pants, two extra socks, what I actually wear in (base layer, shirt, pants, socks, etc.)

I like to take a 1.5 oz stick of deodorant. I know a lot of people say you just smell deal with it... I can deal with body sweat smell, I can't handle armpit BO.

a3dhunter

WKR
I like to take a 1.5 oz stick of deodorant. I know a lot of people say you just smell deal with it... I can deal with body sweat smell, I can't handle armpit BO.
I agree with you there.

I have cut out about 12 lbs from last season, and am able to cut more if needed.

One thing that really helped me was weighing each item and using a spreadsheet that I could add or take away items from the pack to see how much it would weight all together, then stick to the list when packing. i.e. stop throwing in the extras!

OP
J
So I also put in band aids that have the neosporin on then. I don't know if I could do the tarp after last year. I had a river running under my tent, and it wasn't in a bad spot, it was just raining like a mofo. I would have been in big trouble if I was in a tarp.

jhedine

FNG
I use a North face Slickrock(4lbs) but this year I'm going to try a Kifaru. I'm still not sold on the floor-less tipi yet. In AZ its never that cold where a non heated tent will kill you.

G Posik

WKR
There are a lot of things I will pull out of a pack, one thing I will not leave out of a pack is wet wipes. I will always have wipes in my pack from day pack to pack in trip.

Glenn