Little things needed for September Colorado elk

Dudeman

FNG
I will be doing my first elk hunt in Colorado this September. Besides the main equipment like, shelter, bag, bow, etc. What are some important "little" items that I should remember to bring? Any advice for this green rookie?

wytx

WKR
A light that clips on the bill of your hat. Don't forget a pillow .
Camp shoes.
Toilet paper and baby wipes.
If not guided a chainsaw, chainsaw would be good if your driving in to the camp.

Extra spoon
Firestarter like PyroPutty or Trioxane

I like to buy short 6" power cords for charging phone or Garmin InReach from my Anker.

Winnie

Lil-Rokslider
A way to charge your phone so you can use OnX.

If you will be glassing, a small pad is nice to sit on to keep you dry and comfortable. If you are comfortable, you will glass better.

Gaiters to keep your ankles dry.

In no particular order.

1. Firestarter
2. Ibuprofen (reg and PM)
3. back up batteries for headlamp(s)
4. water droplets (in case filtration system locks up)
5. a book
6. charging pack for phone/GPS
7. gaiters - those night time showers make the tall grass extremely wet in the am
8. bow kit - (allen wrench, d-loop, etc) - depending on how far from car you are
9. first aid kit
10. paper map/compass

fatlander

WKR
Go back packing as much as you can this summer wherever home is for you. You’ll quickly find out what you need and don’t need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hobbes

WKR
I prefer to hang food, so enough paracord to hang food. It protects it from mice as much as bears. I bag each day's food, except evening meal, in a gallon ziplock. All I have to do is grab a bag each morning from where I have it hanging then rehang. I store all of the day's trash in that ziplock and hang it that evening when I retrieve the evening freeze dried meal for cooking.

I prefer to bring a toothbrush and paste, but the packs of little flavored disposable brushes work also. Floss is nice to have also.

Wet wipes or baby wipes are a must, but they are relatively heavy. I carry them anyway.

I like dry socks. Gaitors and extra socks help.

I don't have a fire very often (it's usually too dry in archery) but I like to have Firestarter. Cotton balls saturated in Vaseline and stored in a ziplock work pretty well. I spent most of my last backpack trip avoiding the rain, so a couple small fires were nice.

Store mouth calls in more than one location. I've made the mistake of having all my mouthcalls in one pouch on a day hunt once and lost the pouch busting through brush in the dark on the way up the mountain. Not having a call in my mouth probably cost me a shot at a cow.

I like to have several pieces of hard candy or cough drops in a pocket that I can reach. It seems to never fail that I need to cough at the worst times.

As stated above:
Wind Checker is a must. A lighter works in a pinch but I prefer the squeeze bottles of powder.

Last edited:

4rcgoat

WKR
After having a seed from some damn organic bar stuck between my back molars for 2 days i will never forget to bring some dental floss.........its the little things that kill.