Livability of a Seek Outside Redcliff

Rufus

Lil-Rokslider
Good afternoon everyone. I am looking at getting my first Seek Outside floorless shelter. My list of requirements are that (1) myself (6 foot tall and 250lbs) and another person of my same approximate size can have our sleeping bags, pads and/or cots set up, and (2) be able to stand up to at least get dressed, and (3) have a wood stove , and (4) be able to have 2 folding chairs and a small (small) table in it. The 5th requirement is that there is enough room so that the first 4 requirements are not completely stacked on top of each other. Most of the time this will be for car camping, from a car, not a pickup. Because of this (from a car), a wall tent is not an option due to the size and bulk of a wall tent. I am really looking at the Seek Outside Redcliff as it looks like it will meet all of my requirements, at least on paper. Looking for input on if I am on the right track or not. I have considered the 6 or 8 man tipis also. Thoughts? Thank you in advance. -Rufus

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
If you are mostly car camping but still want to be able to pack in I would take the 8 man and the xl stove / big mamma

wildcat33

WKR
Two guys with sleeping area on one side, stove, and a chill out area on other side that would fit two collapsible camp chairs (the kind that a sleeping pad folds up in), with a bit of room for wood, food, boots. That's a full space.

Talking about folding chairs and a table. Sounds like a cabin tent is more what youre after.

You'll want an 8 man minimum with table, chairs, stove, cots. I've got an 8 and fwiw the sxl stove can heat the 8 man tipi to a hotter temperature that you can stand it if you want it to.

For us, the 8 man, sxl stove, 3 people without cots and with little ultralight camp stools leaves room for having all the hunting gear and a small woodpile inside. Could add a 4th person but it would be getting a bit tight to where you might want to keep more wood and some gear outside.

Jbehredt

WKR
Yep 8 man or bigger for your list of requirements. Two cots and a stove gets crowded in the redcliff. Cots end up pretty close to each other in the center because of the angle of the walls. Sleeping on pads opens up some space to spread things out but that hot stove and pipe keeps you from dancing around too much. I’ve got a couple burn scars in jackets to prove it.

OP
R

Rufus

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys. Thank you for all of your responses. I was kind of worried about the size and my requirements. Might need to re-evaluate my requirements or look at an 8 man instead.

Hey guys. Thank you for all of your responses. I was kind of worried about the size and my requirements. Might need to re-evaluate my requirements or look at an 8 man instead.
Also know you can tie a 8 man down to the size of a 6man/redcliff if you need a smaller foot print

rayporter

WKR
you want a 12 man.

build a mock up around a pole or something, use string or rope to stake out around the posts to approximate the size of each. i have had 2 different 8 man tipis and had to go up to a 12.
i keep a 6 for lt wt trips.

Wife and I use our 12-man when we want to bring everything along. It sounds ridiculous, but it fills up fast, and the table and cots cannot be too close to the perimeter due to slope of the fabric.

LvgFbgQ.jpg

46WrODJ.jpg

i5g2gek.jpg

awzaUnp.jpg

7Oz0kI1.jpg

OP
R

Rufus

Lil-Rokslider
Hey MontanaMarine. Those photos really show the space in use. Thank you for posting those. I’m kinda going back to the drawing board and re-evaluating my requirements. Not giving up on the Redcliff, just might have to reduce my comfort items,……or go to a much larger shelter. More research is needed. 🤓. Thanks-Rufus

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Here is a photo with two cots, stove was not set up yet but fit. You can still stand up to get dressed but a bit crowded. Definitely not room for much else after you get your packs/rifles/bows and wood in there. Also have to be real conscious of that stove pipe, it’s never that far away!
9657C643-BFF6-453A-BD09-16E88F62FA28.jpeg

OP
R

Rufus

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Turkeygetpwnd38,

thanks for the photo. Is this a redcliff? It really does show how close things are with the cots. Thanks. -Rufus

JR Greenhorn

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Turkeygetpwnd38,

thanks for the photo. Is this a redcliff? It really does show how close things are with the cots. Thanks. -Rufus
Hard to tell from the angle, but doesn't look like a Redcliff to me. Redcliff doors are on the long sides, not the ends.

I have a Redcliff Light, and there's no way I could sit on a chair inside it with a 2nd guy and/or a stove. Possibly 2 cots would fit for shorter guys, but more than half of the floor area would be so inaccessible it'd be wasted space.

Sounds like you need to be looking at the Courthouse instead, or tipis.

If base camp/car camping is your main use and weather is not extreme, I’d consider bringing a tarp, a few adjustable poles and cordage and set up your chairs and table under that to hang out.

You’ll be more adaptable to footprint constraints, be able to keep food outside of your shelter and enjoy whatever view while hanging out.

YMMV