Live in Wyoming? Whats your Job?

tdhanses

WKR

bbrown

WKR
Our house is just 21 miles south of the border and it’s not that bad here but what do I know…

I am born and raised in CO, the wife is 4th generation and our kiddo is 5th and this place certainly isn’t what it used to be. I was pushing for a move to WY but lost and we compromised on some middle ground - plenty of worse places to land I promise.

Laramie

WKR
Wyoming must be hell on earth the way the WY residents sell it…
There is a reason the population has stayed low. Wages vs cost of living are terrible in most of the state. Distances between communities are much further than what most are used to. The highways suck to drive 6 months of the year. Most people moving there are viewed negatively by true locals. They don't want people moving there for the most part. Yeah it's windy and cold too.

bbrown

WKR
There is a reason the population has stayed low. Wages vs cost of living are terrible in most of the state. Distances between communities are much further than what most are used to. The highways suck to drive 6 months of the year. Most people moving there are viewed negatively by true locals. They don't want people moving there for the most part. Yeah it's windy and cold too.
Ya you mentioned that a time or 2 on here but the reality is you just don’t want neighbors. I don’t blame you…

bbrown

WKR
Cost of living vs wages don’t add up for most in this country but most of us make it work some how.

No income tax, 1/2 the sales tax as neighboring states, low property taxes and less people in general have to do a bit to offset the weather, wind and icy roads though right? Not to mention non-res wilderness rule, 10% resident preference on construction bids, cheaper fuel taxes, etc. Not hating just mentioning that life is all a trade off I guess…

Last edited:

Laramie

WKR
Ya you mentioned that a time or 2 on here but the reality is you just don’t want neighbors. I don’t blame you…
I don't live in Wyoming. Haven't since the late 90s. My current house was purchased for 96k. Had a realtor look at it last month and it is now worth about 200k. Similar homes in the Laramie area are going for well over 500k. I have been looking at jobs waiting for the right opportunity. Wages in my line of work are even to lower by 20%. That is a massive increase in cost of living. Taxes are different in Wyoming. It isn't quite the benefit most think. I encourage people to research what all is taxed there.

I do my best to offer people a realistic picture. I have seen quite a few people move there through the years. It hasn't worked out for the vast majority.

As to your comment, suggesting I am not telling the truth would get you a much different reaction in person. I don't live in Wyoming now but I still hold the same values. Keep that in mind next time you are visiting out west.

Born and raised in Wyoming. I love this state. I have been in the trades pretty much my whole life as a carpenter and currently work as a supervisor for a GC here out of casper. I can tell you as an electrician you would have no trouble finding work. And the hospitals are always looking for help. Us locals can be kinda territorial but we mean well. Haha.

OP
Jason277

Jason277

WKR
Born and raised in Wyoming. I love this state. I have been in the trades pretty much my whole life as a carpenter and currently work as a supervisor for a GC here out of casper. I can tell you as an electrician you would have no trouble finding work. And the hospitals are always looking for help. Us locals can be kinda territorial but we mean well. Haha.
PM sent

hawkman71

Lil-Rokslider
The future reduction in NR tags, currently its 80/20 R/NR, the push is for 90/10 for the big 5 soon and the rest shortly after.
Figures. Just as soon as I get interested in a public land antelope hunt in WY after my wife says I should do a hunting trip for my 50th b-day...

tdhanses

WKR
Figures. Just as soon as I get interested in a public land antelope hunt in WY after my wife says I should do a hunting trip for my 50th b-day...
You have time, the big 5 will change first but i’d get to planning for next year or maybe a year after. On e they get the big 5 changed they’ll come after the rest.

jmez

WKR
Check into the tax structure before you consider NE.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

nwdan

FNG
Seems many people are contemplating a move these days, how much is of that is driven by changing local/state politics? I hear that a lot from folks leaving Washington.

grfox92

WKR
Seems many people are contemplating a move these days, how much is of that is driven by changing local/state politics? I hear that a lot from folks leaving Washington.
Everyone moving to Wyoming is using that as their excuse. The problem is they forget to leave those shitty politics behind and it causes alot of animosity between locals and newcomers.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk