Liver in grind?

JoeDirt

WKR
I cant stand liver but there's no doubt its nutritional value. Anyone ever mix liver in with their grind?

Huntinaz

Lil-Rokslider
Have you ever tried pâté? You still get a liver taste but the texture is different. Could be an option for you. Kind of a pain to make but I like it a lot

Cheaha

FNG
I would suggest you find a boudin recipe and give it a try. Liver is one ingredient and you can add as much or little as you like. Liverwurst and Braunschweiger are traditional German liver sausages, so it's not a new concept, but they use pork liver. I don't think I would add liver to my burger though, if that's what you are asking.

ericwh

WKR
I put some liver in sausage and didn't really notice it. The amount of liver was relatively small compared to the batch of sausage. Plus the seasonings and added fat in sausage probably covered it up.

Wife also didn't notice it.

Shoot

FNG
I'm not a liver guy either and wouldn't want to screw up a good batch of burger. I could see it not hurting the sausage depending on your spice mix.

OP
J

JoeDirt

WKR
Ok thanks for your responses, I think most of you're right. I'll just save it for some sausage!

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I freeze the liver and heart and then pick a day to de-frost and cut them up. I cut them into strips, batter them, and then stick em in the hot oil for a good frying. Great little appetizer or a decent dinner for one guy.

Huntinaz

Lil-Rokslider
To clarify my first post, I love liver but I mixed some into a batch of summer sausage one time and it was noticeable. My dad put some in his burger grind another time and we could all tell, him and my brother and I. Again, we like liver. But if you don’t, it’s not worth screwing up what you like

I suggest trying to like it. Mess with it, make a pate, slice it and dredge it and fry it. Acquire the taste, it’s worth it i think. I do think soaking in milk helps cut the strength of the liver taste. Deer liver is the best, elk is OK but deer is where it’s at. Maybe try messing with that first?

If I am not going to eat it prepared, I sous vide liver and ground it cooked. Raw it turns to mush. I only mix it with things where the strong flavor is going to work. Some sausage mixes. Dirty rice. Etc. it has a strong taste that isn’t for everyone

Rich M

WKR
We used to have a fried deer liver dinner every year w a large group. Then some studies came out and said they were high in heavy metals. Haven't eaten any since.

Azone

WKR
Last time I had that stuff I was 13 or 14 and it was on the plate and I was guest kinda thing somewhere and ate it. That stuffs for the coyotes in my opinion. Heart, now that’s a completely different animal, good stuff right there. I wouldn’t add it to a grind mix unless I could taste a sample of a proven recipe, don’t be the guinea pig.

Lytro

WKR
I save my deer livers for boudin and I love it. I stuff sausages with it and also keep some loose to be used in bread pockets. I would definitely not put it into your burger grind though.

I did see Ryan Lampers (@sthealthyhunter on Instagram) do a story a couple weeks ago about making liver vitamin capsules with an elk liver. I thought that was a pretty cool idea.