Living in GA

rgroves79

Lil-Rokslider
I may have the opportunity to relocate from VA down to GA with the company I work for, specifically to Alpharetta. I have never spent any time down there and wanted to see if anyone on here could give me some pros/ cons about the area or state in general. Housing prices and schools seem comparable to where we are at now, and from what research I've done it seems like a cool little town. What kind of hunting and fishing opportunities are there within a couple hours? I know there are some big lakes nearby and the Chatahoochie National Forest isn't too far away. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
I lived in Roswell (about 10 miles south of Alpharetta) from 2002 to 2013. Alpharetta is a satellite of Atlanta…..they have all the typical components of a city (suburbs around every corner, restaurants, hospitals, golf courses, bars, shopping for the wife, car dealerships, etc.), except for an international airport.

Hunting – around 90% of Georgia is privately owned, so most people join a club a couple of hours outside of Atlanta. Watch this forum for openings: https://forum.gon.com/forums/land-or-club-available-georgia-only.100/

Fishing – Lake Lanier has great fishing for spotted bass and stripers, but you need to know what you are doing, and you need a boat to do it. Going on a couple of guided trips will teach you what you need to know. You can fly-fish in the “Hooch”, but the best thing you are going to catch is a tiny brown trout, or maybe a rainbow fresh from the hatchery. If you are into fly-fishing, you will be better off driving up North towards Highlands, NC (which is where many Atlanta folks have second homes and stay during the summers).

I don’t know where you live in Virginia or what it’s like there, but I can tell you anywhere within an hour of Atlanta has way too many people. “Keeping up with the Joneses” and the rat race is what Atlanta, and its greater metro-areas are all about. Not saying that is you, but just be prepared to see that everywhere you look. If you don’t see yourself needing to go to the airport or downtown Atlanta often, then I would personally look towards Cumming, or better yet, Dawsonville. You can commute to Alpharetta easily from those areas.

Gobbler36

WKR
Great place to live, work and hunt and fish as long as you stay away from Atlanta, the North Ga mountains are stunning in the fall and have lots of hunting opportunities 2 bears and 10 deer with two antlered deer being taken was how it was when I lived there not to mention turkeys.

MJB

WKR
Buy a place on Lanier off the 400 and your good to go.
Fly fish the Chattahoochee was always great in the hot summer. Deer hunting WMA with the bow is what I lived for in the fall.

Scoutman

FNG
Lived in Cumming for 18 years, go north or south to hunt. Avoid Atlanta at all costs, any areas south of Cumming. Hunting not as good as Va, but not as liberal.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

apsudd

FNG
White tail hunting is great in Georgia and so is the fishing. I am from the Buford area and there are many opportunities for trout and bass within minutes on the Chattahoochee or an hour or 2 in the mountains. If you’re lucky enough to have permission around the city there are some massive deer. Check out Seek One if you haven’t already!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nhp0002

FNG
I’ll swap with you! I’m moving out of Atlanta within the next month and can’t get out fast enough. Lived in Smyrna about a mile from the battery (Braves stadium) for two years and now between Inman park/Old 4th Ward for the last year. The traffic truly is maddening. You should be safe in Alpharetta but the current political climate is certainly something to keep an eye on. My roommate and I have been hearing random gun shots nightly since the protests have been going on...
The fly fishing is probably not as good as what you have in VA. Most trout are stockers but if you put some time and effort in there are some wild fish to be found. Can’t comment on the hunting... family has a farm in south Ga that I get to play on.
The hooch is crowded but there are some deep holes if you have a boat

Attachments

• 3A326774-4D56-4E29-96CC-2F06F4A6C4B8.jpeg
    3A326774-4D56-4E29-96CC-2F06F4A6C4B8.jpeg
    306.3 KB · Views: 10
OP
R

rgroves79

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for taking the time to provide some insight. I would definitely want to avoid Atlanta at all costs. I’m not much of a downtown kind of guy so that really goes for most major cities. Glad to hear that there are some good hunting and fishing opportunities to be found. Nothing is set in stone for us yet but it at least sounds like it’s worth exploring.

I don’t know where you live in Virginia or what it’s like there, but I can tell you anywhere within an hour of Atlanta has way too many people. “Keeping up with the Joneses” and the rat race is what Atlanta, and its greater metro-areas are all about.

We’re not there anymore but we lived in Northern VA for a long time and I have no interest in that kind of life at this point.

You should be safe in Alpharetta but the current political climate is certainly something to keep an eye on

We are near Richmond and it’s the same here. We are far enough out that we’ve avoided it so far and I hope it stays that way.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I have lived in Alpharetta for 19 years. Traffic here isn't too bad, and there are lots of companies who have moved, or are moving, their HQs here. (I work in Atlanta though, so traffic is pretty bad for me. I dream of having my company move its office to Alpharetta, Johns Creek, Milton or Roswell!) There are plenty of people with nice cars and homes, but I wouldn't say it's a rat race - that's more a reflection of one's self. I feel completely safe here, but I'm also not naive enough to believe there is no risk that something could happen here, especially with the stuff that has gone on lately. There is plenty of infrastructure as mentioned above, and moving out further north would be great, but at a cost of giving up some of those amenities. The "downtown" areas of Alpharetta and Roswell are pretty nice, with good shops and lots of great restaurants, and small enough that you can walk around - even with open containers. The Avalon mixed use shopping area has had incredible success and is being imitated around the country. Alpharetta and surrounding areas are also far enough away from Atlanta that most folks from there would not want to make the effort or drive to come out this way.

I'm not much of an angler, but plenty of people fish as described by others above. I do know that you can fly fish, even in Atlanta. Check out River Through Atlanta (http://riverthroughatlanta.com/). I've not fished with them, but know others who have - including in metro Atlanta. I have however gone duck hunting with them multiple times and shot geese and ducks in some crazy places - next to subdivisions in and around metro Atlanta.

For other hunting I've been pretty fortunate to have met people who have land and I get to hunt a lot - deer, pigs, dove and turkey. It took me some time, but you probably have a better personality and could make quicker progress. If you make an effort, you should be able to find people who share the passion and can get you out in the woods. I've never looked into public land hunting here, but I've heard some good things.

I've been in Georgia for 28 years. It isn't perfect, but I don't lose any sleep over losing firearm rights or some other things that might concern me in VA.

Happy to answer more specific questions offline if you prefer.