Llama advice for CO 1st rifle:

Aaronpaul14

Lil-Rokslider
We tossed around the idea getting a couple llamas to help pack water and if we are successful they can help haul an elk off the mountain while the others can continue to hunt. We are hunting in the Grand Mesa NF and Gunnison NF areas.

We are headed out to scout to get the lay of the land and look for potential camp/glassing spots.

A friend of a friend has hunted this area during ML season off and on for 10-12 years. They said there has been a few years the creeks were dry and they had to pack in water.

We plan/hope to track down the elk 2-3 days before season starts and be ready for opening day.

We could potentially be out there for 8-9 days. That’s a lot of water 3 guys need!

Anyone have or know of a good place to rent a few. We should know for sure in a few weeks if this is a route we want to take and hoping to swing by and check out some llamas while we are out there before we come hunt.

Thanks for any tips!

westslopelaker

Lil-Rokslider
Probably too late to get any llamas lined up for this year. We have used llamas numerous years in Colorado and always had to reserve them more than a year in advance, even before we applied or drew tags. Other than that, a trained llamas can pack 50-80 lbs depending on terrain and distance. They also need water so you'd want to figure that into the equation. I'd probably search extensively around for water before I'd bring llamas to pack it in. They can be pretty costly to rent on a per day basis but well worth it if your hauling gear and meat in and out of the back country.

tdhanses

WKR
Might be similar cost to get an outfitter to pack in gear and water and come to get meat. My local outfitter charges $300 to pack out meat.

OP
Aaronpaul14

Aaronpaul14

Lil-Rokslider
Probably too late to get any llamas lined up for this year. We have used llamas numerous years in Colorado and always had to reserve them more than a year in advance, even before we applied or drew tags. Other than that, a trained llamas can pack 50-80 lbs depending on terrain and distance. They also need water so you'd want to figure that into the equation. I'd probably search extensively around for water before I'd bring llamas to pack it in. They can be pretty costly to rent on a per day basis but well worth it if your hauling gear and meat in and out of the back country.

Hey thanks. That’s good to know going in. I have been on every map and layer pinning any and all water sources I find. Really not wanting to pack in a ton of water but after thinking about llamas helping haul a bull out and letting the others keep hunting sounds really promising.

Maybe I just need to start calling any I can find nearby and just see if any are available just in case.

OP
Aaronpaul14

Aaronpaul14

Lil-Rokslider
Might be similar cost to get an outfitter to pack in gear and water and come to get meat. My local outfitter charges $300 to pack out meat.

Now that sounds promising! Also, wouldn’t have to worry about animals while we hunt. Other than the ones we are trying to pack out!

OP
Aaronpaul14

Aaronpaul14

Lil-Rokslider
Found an outfitter that was the next unit over that lists his packing services. If you use his services to pack your gear in they will pack out an elk for $275. Otherwise if you just want an elk packed out it’s $475. He charges $500 plus $100 for every mule/horse to haul your gear in.

Most outfitters don’t seem to be listing that info on their website. We are going to call a few that are approved in our unit and might try and go that route.

squirrel

WKR
You are about 8-12 months late for this years rental, but you are in a great position for 2022 reservations. Muzzy and 1st rifle are the busiest times.

Explorer

FNG
We use llamas and found that it is usually not productive to haul water all the way from the truck. The llamas end up carrying all the water and us the gear. At that point it is counter productive. We did that for a few years, anticipateing that we would not find reliable water. However we could always find water a couple times a day or within a mile from camp. We take several colapasble water tanks that hold 5gal and some colapasble buckets. From camp we take a couple llamas down to the nearest water source and fill up the colapasble tanks. We only have to do this every few days. I think the "llamas don't need water" is over stated. Yes they drink less than a horse, but I have seen them drink a gallon or two at a time. I think it is better to plan on finding water in the backcountry.

Phaseolus

WKR
And very few of us know where there is both water and stashed beer on the Grand Mesa.

Finding water on Grand Mesa should not be hard.

HNTR918

WKR
If you are hunting where there are elk in Grand Mesa, water will not be a problem. I used to always carry 3 liters. In Grand Mesa I do 1L at a time because water is EVERYWHERE.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord