Llama Rental

MOHunter

Lil-Rokslider
So I’m curious about the logistics. I’m assuming you must provide your own stock trailer? Can you take them anywhere you want? I’m wondering about using some in NM and expect I’d have to trailer them a ways. What kind of rates, and how do they charge?

squirrel

WKR
Trailers or stock racks can be rented as well, ever seen a mini van pull a 16' stock trailer? I did last fall and it was hilarious. Daily or weekly or long term rates, depends on what you want and can pay for. A successful llama rental consists of 2 things the check clearing and the animals coming back alive pretty much everything else is optional/negotiable. But some negotiate better than others.

This will get you noticed at most gas stations.
DSC01878 by squirrel2012, on Flickr

More than 3 will require a trailer. But allows you to take more than just your bare essentials, sometimes I have to get by on an overnight trip with less than 500# of gear.
IMG_1529 by squirrel2012, on Flickr

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'd be walking in with my weapon on my pack. No matter what kind of stock you use, you'll eventually have a rodeo or mishap and keeping your optics or weapon on your person isn't a terrible idea... Just my .02

I'd love to get llamas but the wife loves goats... we're at an impass haha

Mike

Yeah when we use llamas if there are enough to carry all the weight we'll still stuff a sleeping bag into our packs (for bulk) and strap our rifles to our bags. Pack/rifle/sleeping bag and a water bladder we're carrying like 20lb (ie nothing).

The llamas walked pretty close on my heels so I didn't like the idea of the rack on my back much.

They're not dumb, they back off if antlers are poking them. But yeah some do like to walk close, funny seeing their heads over your shoulder almost.

This will get you noticed at most gas stations.
DSC01878 by squirrel2012, on Flickr

Or the Wendy's drive through in Silverthorne... :p

njdoxie

WKR
I always carried my rifle, binocs, and electronics when going in on horses, lol, thought with llamas that maybe rodeos were a thing of the past, but realize it would be smart to continue carrying hi value stuff on my person

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

squirrel

WKR
One thing you can do is to put your valuables in a box, wrapped with soft protection inside of the pannier. Grocery store meat depts get small strong boxes in every day in their cheese and sandwich meat area. Put your binocs wrapped in a tshirt inside of the box and put in the center of the pannier and you should be fine. rifles and especially compound bows are more of a problem, they can be packed but does the risk taken justify? I usually carry mine.

I lost my Swaro spotting scope off the top of a llama on a sheep hunt once, saw some sheep reached back and it was gone! All thought of looking at a dumb ol sheep faded till I found it down over a cliff on the edge of a 30' drop 3 miles back...

squirrel

WKR
I should add that the same "box within the pannier" is a fantastic way to have new condition bread, chips, eggs etc upon arrival in camp. and NEVER load up a glass container of any size to it.

Last August a girl rented and thew in 4 bags of tortilla chips and a GALLON jar of salsa...

Now I call that one my Mexican pannier...