Load development for rookies

ericacymcdonald

Lil-Rokslider
Is there any good youtube videos/classes that get a little more in-depth for development. Stuff like ladder testing, signs of pressure, measuring jump for OAL ect. I hear a lot of people talking about this in various forms but want to truly understand it. I've been reloading for a couple years and know the basics but have always just went into the book and picked a mid level charge. I want to get more into it this off season and really find a load for my kimber. I've picked up a chronograph and some 143 hammer hunters for my .280ai. I've got a few different powders going to try the reloader 23 first. Thanks y'all!

Ram94

WKR
6.5 guys on Youtube have some good videos on it. Also Panhandle Precision is worth checking out.

When I was getting into reloading to read a lot of Sniper's Hide and then articles on Accurate Shooter, other bench rest stuff.

I think the bench rest community has the best information and presentation of information, and undoubtedly gets a few levels deeper than a hunter might need.

packer58

WKR
I'll second Panhandle Precision, he has a series of vids and will help you get to the next level in handloading. Also he will explain the use of different tools for a specific task / goal.

archp625

WKR
Panhandle Precision is how I learned. The video series gave me enough confidence to do it as well. Started a year from today and haven't looked back. I do not know why I waited so long to start.

Powell

Lil-Rokslider
I've read a lot on Long Range Hunting about the Hammer bullets. Steve is on the boards there quite a bit, I'm new here so not sure if he is on here. I would reach out to him for some of his advice.

Personally have not bit the bullet and tried Hammers yet

OP
E

ericacymcdonald

Lil-Rokslider
I've read a lot on Long Range Hunting about the Hammer bullets. Steve is on the boards there quite a bit, I'm new here so not sure if he is on here. I would reach out to him for some of his advice.

Personally have not bit the bullet and tried Hammers yet
Thanks powell, I actually found a thread by steve about his personal .280ai load with the 143 hunters. I have a pound of rl23 which is what he uses. I'm going to start lower and try to find pressure in my rifle but have never really looked for "pressure signs" I think I understand it but wanted to do the most research as I can before I tackle this project. I'm getting my kimber bedded and doing some trigger work before I start, also finished all the "kimber tinkering" stuff over at longrangehunting hopefully all goes well because with the shortage of reloading supplies I don't want much waste haha