Load development

DBuck

Lil-Rokslider
Newbie here, I've had a RCBS reloading kit for some time now and finally getting around to the idea of setting it up and finding a load for my .270's. There's a lot of acronyms on here I was curious about if someone could help me out I'd greatly appreciate it. Whats ES? COL? I at least got POI (Point of impact(y) big win for me.HA)
Also what are you all referring to when talking about signs of pressure? Damage to the casing? To the rifle? Discoloration? Thanks in advance

Check out online, there are some useful resources. The RCBS videos aren't a bad place to start.

Figured I'd beat the smartasses to the punch since you'll get some unuseful comments here in a minute 😂

DBuck

Lil-Rokslider
Haha thanks, I’ll check them out. Have to give a lot of credit to this site, doesn’t seem to have the d**ks of some other sites.

Check out online, there are some useful resources. The RCBS videos aren't a bad place to start.

Figured I'd beat the smartasses to the punch since you'll get some unuseful comments here in a minute 😂

JakeSCH

WKR
I do this a majority of the time. You'll need a chronograph and some knowledge of where to start. Depending on the cartridge's powder capacity as to the increments to increase powder. I use .06% of maximum charge weight. ie. 50gr x .006 = 0.3gr increase increments. 80 x .006 = 0.5gr and so on. Find a series of charges where the velocity levels out. Usually will be .5-2gr under maximum charge ( maximum charge being where pressure starts to show in your particular gun). Do lots of research and know the signs of pressure... heavy bolt lift, ejector mark, etc.

Once you find a velocity node, then play with seating depth to fine tune.

^This...some recommend doing 1 gr increments until you hit pressure (just so you know where it is and where not to go). Do not go over manual powder limits even if you don't have pressure signs (I mean you can, but this is a CYA). Once you hit pressure back off 2 grs and perform the modified ladder test. I typically use 0.2 or 0.3 gr.

I typically find that in velocity flat spots the bullet holes are on top of each other as well. I will then load up the middle of those powder charges and do a 5 shot group next time at the range and usually it is spot on.

You can use seating depth to shrink groups as well once you get into a node.