load or not, opinions

while looking over my components I had the idea of just loading everything up to clear up space. should I do that, or just leave it? will the powder and primers last longer in storage or in rounds? by loading, I will free up alot of space, and not have to worry about having rounds for a while. but, I may not use some of the rounds for a while and wouldn't want bad rounds when the time comes.

ljalberta

WKR
Great question. I’m also interested in reading some of the science behind powder degradation. I have read lots that says powder can degrade in ‘potency’ over time, but have not stumbled across any of the science or research that explain and shows as much.

I have also read of people firing ammo that was loaded over 100 years ago without problem and I have shot ammo loaded 70 years ago without issue. Of course, I have no idea if there was a velocity or consistency difference from what it would have been like shooting it on the day it was loaded, but there were no issues with pressure or misfires when I did shoot it.

I load everything I can. Might be 100 rounds of one caliber or 1000 rounds of another. Burn a few days sitting behind the press, and then I dont have to touch the damn thing for 6-8 months.

OP
S
that's what I was thinking, maybe after hunting season ill do that and hope for the best. I load for 20 different rounds not including stuff for friends so it will keep me busy over the winter. would still like to hear from guys about old ammo experiences, and accuracy loss if any.

49ereric

WKR
turkish 8mm mostly still fires from the 40’s but it is hot!
berdan primers are supposed to have a longer shelf life than boxer.

If you do load everything, load your precision stuff long and seat to appropriate depth just before use. Otherwise neck tension could be an issue given the galvanic processes that happen between the neck of the case and the bullet. You break that bond that occurs when you re-seat the bullet. Or so I've been told and have read. Disregard if you use a factory crimp die.