Loading Charge tubes BH209

Pete B

FNG
loaded my charge tubes and than decided to weight using ,volume x 0.7 to get the weight . using BH 209 at 120 on the tube I should be at 84 grains but was getting 98 on the tube, Isnt 98 grains to hot a load? so are the tube marks wrong or my scale? IM brand new to muzzleloading and shooting this week . 80 on tube marking should be 56grain but reading is 70 on the tube. Thanks Pete

Pettit877

FNG
loaded my charge tubes and than decided to weight using ,volume x 0.7 to get the weight . using BH 209 at 120 on the tube I should be at 84 grains but was getting 98 on the tube, Isnt 98 grains to hot a load? so are the tube marks wrong or my scale? IM brand new to muzzleloading and shooting this week . 80 on tube marking should be 56grain but reading is 70 on the tube. Thanks Pete
The marking on the tubes are notoriously inaccurate. If you intend on using BH209 please get yourself a scale to measure out your charges (most accurate) or pick up a powder measuring device.....consistency is key to accuracy.
Eric

Blackhorn bounces all over.

I shoot 75 gr by weight, but I weight can vary by lot #.

It's designed to be used by volume, but to get consistent you need to weigh. It's just the weight by volume varies by lot number.

With a new batch, I work up the load by weight, so I can be consistent. Cause I can't see a few grains by volume.

Either buy 8# or several #'s of the same lot number.

I don't trust numbers in tubes either.

This is what I wrote in another thread.

I am so gad I saw this post before I went out to the range for my first session with my new muzzleloader. Being a muzzy virgin, this thread got my attention. Last night I I filled 4 of my blackhorn tubes to 100gr by volume and then weighted them out. Below are the results.

Then I weighted out 70 grains and poured into the tubes and it filled it to the 90g by volume mark.

Damdamdon

FNG
There is a guy on modern muzzleloader that sells tubes for powder. Very inexpensive. I load about 50 tubes at a time. 77 gr on my scale. 50 loaded tubes will last a long time. I believe it is called Lanes Tubes

ENCORE

WKR
There is a guy on modern muzzleloader that sells tubes for powder. Very inexpensive. I load about 50 tubes at a time. 77 gr on my scale. 50 loaded tubes will last a long time. I believe it is called Lanes Tubes
I've water tested a couple hands full of different tubes. Lanes Tubes will always pass a moisture test. I test tubes by putting weight in the bottom and fill the tube with common household flour. Let it sink into a bucket of water and leave it there for 12 to 24hrs.
Lane's can be had with different colored caps which is GREAT if you use different charges. You can get them in 10ml or 5ml. The 5's work well for SML. The 10ml will hold all the BH even a custom will shoot.

Attachments

• IMG_1335.JPG
    IMG_1335.JPG
    250.7 KB · Views: 22