Loading with unpublished powder loads

FattyBinz

FNG
I posted here the other day about the pros and cons of fire-forming 100 Lapua cases before starting my load development for my 6.5 CM Ruger American Predator. I decided to go ahead and fire-form these 100 cases. I want to load them up with some extra powder that I have no use for. I have some H1000, R22 and R23 from my 7 mag that I don't shoot anymore. So these three powders don't publish load data for the 6.5 CM. So does that mean its not doable...or is it dangerous to use those powders? I understand if those powders aren't ideal for the 6.5...but I really just need it to go bang and fire-form the cases. I'll probably set up some 100-200 yard steel targets just to entertain myself. So if it is doable, how would I go about finding a safe charge? I did a quick search just now and couldn't find anything. I'm going to use Barnes Match Burner 145 gr Open Tip Match BT bullets for this fire-forming....they are the only bullets I could find on Midway.

Wrench

WKR
22 and heavy bullets will work. Honestly I'd save the throat wear and use some red dot and cow. Doesn't take much and no wear.

OP
F

FattyBinz

FNG
22 and heavy bullets will work. Honestly I'd save the throat wear and use some red dot and cow. Doesn't take much and no wear.

red dot and cow? Sorry...that is going over my head lol. You mean shoot the brass out of a different rifle? isn't the whole point to fire-form the brass to the form of my rifle's chamber?

2five7

WKR
red dot and cow? Sorry...that is going over my head lol. You mean shoot the brass out of a different rifle? isn't the whole point to fire-form the brass to the form of my rifle's chamber?
Red dot is a shotgun powder, cow is cream of wheat. You use the cow to give case fill, while shooting a small charge of red dot.

I'd use the RL22 if you really feel the need to fireform, it has the lowest $$$ value of all the powders you listed. 42ish grains should be a safe load according to QL.

Trippy

Lil-Rokslider
Red dot is a shotgun powder, cow is cream of wheat. You use the cow to give case fill, while shooting a small charge of red dot.

I'd use the RL22 if you really feel the need to fireform, it has the lowest $$$ value of all the powders you listed. 42ish grains should be a safe load according to QL.
What version of QL you using? Mine has "6.5 mm Creedmoor Hornady" but the numbers aren't making sense compared to some books for max loads.

Defeats the point
How so? If I sent 50 brand new Lapua 6.5 loaded with ELDMs/4350 and he cranked them off, would that not be the same thing as what he’s trying to do?

Shipping or getting loads from a guy you don’t know probably screws up the equation anyhow.

2five7

WKR
What version of QL you using? Mine has "6.5 mm Creedmoor Hornady" but the numbers aren't making sense compared to some books for max loads.
3.9 I think. Mine says the same for the 6.5cm. Didn't have the 145 matchburner, just the 140.