Loads for 45-70 lever action

Mosby

WKR
I am going to be working on some new loads this summer for 3 specific bullet weights in my 45-70. My rifle is a Henry 45-70 lever action and I am going to be using it, primarily for bears and whitetail.

I am going to try the Barnes tsx this year but normally prefer the heavier bullets in a 45-70. The bullets I have stocked up on are:

- 300 grain Barnes tsx
- 350 grain Hornady and 350 grain Trophy Bonded Bearclaws
- 405 grain hard cast

The Barnes and Hornady are for deer and the TB and HC are for bears.

I have a number of different powders but thought I would focus on two and start with RL 7 and IMR 3031. I like Reloader powders and use them in most of my rifles. They meter well in my powder measure and I get good accuracy from them. Elmer Keith recommended the 3031 powder for the 45-70 and he forgot more than I know, so I figured it would be a good powder to try, as well. IMR powders don't meter well but I am not doing a lot of volume in this caliber anyway.

Do you guys have specific loads for these bullet weights/powders that provide good velocity and accuracy?

Wrench

WKR
I've had great luck with 7 and varget with heavies. I don't have my notes handy, but its pretty much full of varget.

Hang on tight.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I’ve seen the factory 300g Barnes at work on black bear. That is a VERY impressive bullet. I don’t have a hand load for it yet but definitely will.

OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
Bought some powder and researching some starting loads. I am starting with the Barnes and Hornady bullets and will post what I come up with for those that are interested.

7CCF5653-695E-44FD-B00C-B073D93FCA03.jpeg
I shoot a single shot rifle and keep these two rounds handy on it:

Left: 400 grain soft lead hollow point. 46 gr of Reloader No 7. 1675 FPS.

Right: 300 grain Nosler ballistic tip. 53 gr Reloader No 7. 2050 FPS.

The cast bullet is zeroed at 150 yards, and the Nosler BT is zeroed at 300.

Last edited:

FLS

WKR
300 Grain Speer over 60 grains of H4895 shoots really well out of my Marlin GG.
Killed a couple of big Iowa whitetails and and a bunch of local deer and hogs with it. I’m 2 grains under max but it’s accurate and hits more than hard enough. Last Iowa deer was on the move quartering hard about 125 yards away. I had to make a quick shot. Bullet hit mid rib, broke the offside shoulder and exited. I found pieces of lung on the brush on far side of deer. He went down hard and skidded to a stop in the snow. I’ve had similar results with everything I’ve shot with the 300 grain Speer. I get a good balance of expansion and penetration.

rayporter

WKR
can you load the barns tsx in the tube or will you just call it a 2 shot?

for deer i am shooting the hornady ftx flex tip mono with 49 gr of 4198, nice and light on the shoulder.
the first time i shot it i was using 300 hor hp and 50 gr of 4198. one shot and 2 deer.