Loads for Barnes 168 TTSX in Tikka 300 Win Mag

philcox

WKR
Looking for load data for 168 TTSX for my Tikka T3X Superlite in 300 Win Mag? I have RL 22, RL 19, Ramshot Hunter, IMR 4831, Hornady Superformance, RL16, and Varget. I really don't want to try all of them :), so looking for some insight as to what others have found works with that combo of rifle and projectile.

Thanks,

Phil

jeremy.b

Lil-Rokslider
First off, I don't have first hand experience with the 300 win, so FWIW here's how I would tackle it:

Out of all the powders, RL16 should be the most temp stable. Alliant's site has some data for the Hornady GMX that might get you close: http://alliantpowder.com/reloaders/...derlist.aspx&type=1&powderid=41&cartridge=141

Barnes data shows that RL22, Hunter and RL 19 all get decent speeds. https://www.barnesbullets.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/300 Win Mag.pdf

I'd probably pick which ever you have the most of and start there and narrow it down to just one to try along side RL16 and go from there.

DCT1983

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot 180 TSXs out of a 300 wm in a T3x lite. The best powder that worked for me was the ramshot. I know I didn’t go through all of those but some of them I did.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Why does everybody have so much trouble looking up manufacturers loads??? Especially from nosler and barnes, their online load data is the same exact thing they have in their books.

There’s the Barnes data…..

Attachments

• 8C974900-823B-48C7-8B4B-80152729B6E0.jpeg
    8C974900-823B-48C7-8B4B-80152729B6E0.jpeg
    180.4 KB · Views: 85
OP
philcox

philcox

WKR
Why does everybody have so much trouble looking up manufacturers loads??? Especially from nosler and barnes, their online load data is the same exact thing they have in their books.

There’s the Barnes data…..
Exactly, and 4 of my powders are listed. I was hoping to not have to go through 80+ loads to find out which works best, wanted to see if I could get a jump start with someones previous work. I also know, that every rifle is different, so not guaranteed their load works best in my rifle (which would lead to "shoot the 80") ....

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Exactly, and 4 of my powders are listed. I was hoping to not have to go through 80+ loads to find out which works best, wanted to see if I could get a jump start with someones previous work. I also know, that every rifle is different, so not guaranteed their load works best in my rifle (which would lead to "shoot the 80") ....

You’re being ridiculous. You wouldn’t need to make up 80 loads to see which works best,
Furthermore, you said that every rifle is different so even more reason to load up a few rounds rather than asking the question.

OP
philcox

philcox

WKR
You’re being ridiculous. You wouldn’t need to make up 80 loads to see which works best,
Furthermore, you said that every rifle is different so even more reason to load up a few rounds rather than asking the question.
Don't think ridiculous is correct, maybe naive. Why? The way I learned (guy who taught me does it this way) to develop a load is:
  1. Work up a load in groups of 5 to check grouping.
  2. Shoot the groups
  3. See which load (powder/charge) grouped the best
  4. Assuming you have a sub-moa group, make 10 more of those and shoot to determine velocity
  5. Print the recipe and make enough to practice and hunt with
Based on Barnes data for the 4 powders I have, it is VERY easy to get at least 4 loads of each, hence 4x5x4 = 80 loads.

I might be able to do the "pressure ladder" with each powder and then do one set of 5 for each at the top (backed off a bit), which would probably get me more in the 40-50 range I would guess. Still a lot more than I would like, but probably the more efficient way.

My problem is too many powder choices on hand, and not enough experience with any of them to have a "go to" or "favorite" to try first. That is why I posted the question. Hopefully I will be able to help someone in my same situation out like DCT1983 did and give me an answer based on his experience.

OP
philcox

philcox

WKR
I shoot 180 TSXs out of a 300 wm in a T3x lite. The best powder that worked for me was the ramshot. I know I didn’t go through all of those but some of them I did.
Thx for the pointer. Seems that the 168 will probably favor a slightly faster powder I am guessing.

jeremy.b

Lil-Rokslider
I used to do the load 5 of each and shoot for groups thing as well. Then i ran across a comment that many rifles shoot similar groups with different powders based on velocities, which then lead me on to the velocity ladder approach.

(edit for clarity)
Load a set of rounds in a given range of powder charges (keep it safe) in 0.4 ish gr increments (so one round per 0.4 gr), record velocities. Plot the velocity vs charge weight on a graph and look for flat spots (where velocity doesn't move much from charge to charge). Pick the middle of a flat spot, load a group and shoot it, if worried about long range, also gather velocity data to get SD/ES. From there play with seating depth in 0.010" increments to dial in further and if needed tune the powder charge to tune SD/ES.

There is also the OCW approach that works well for folks and can reduce the number of rounds needed to find a good load but I have personally not tried it.

Back to the question at hand, if you want long range, 600+ yds (didn't see if you mentioned that), you need good temp stability, ONE of those powders has it, that is RL 16, the rest are known to be temp variable.

I imagine that you already have the TTSX's in hand, but another option is the Hammer bullets, and they have a bit of a reputation for being easy to find loads with. Personally I've had great luck with them in a Tikka 270 that was picky with many other bullets.

Last edited:
OP
philcox

philcox

WKR
I used to do the load 5 of each and shoot for groups thing as well. Then i ran across a comment that many rifles shoot similar groups with different powders based on velocities, which then lead me on to the velocity ladder approach.

Load 10 ish rounds in a given range of powder charges (keep it safe) in around 0.5 gr increments, record velocities and look for flat spots. Pick the middle of a flat spot, load a group and shoot it, if worried about long range, also gather velocity data to get SD/ES. From there play with seating depth in 0.010" increments to dial in further and if needed tune the powder charge to tune SD/ES.

There is also the OCW approach that works well for folks and can reduce the number of rounds needed to find a good load.

Back to the question at hand, if you want long range, 600+ yds (didn't see if you mentioned that), you need good temp stability, ONE of those powders has it, that is RL 16, the rest are known to be temp variable.

I imagine that you already have the TTSX's in hand, but another option is the Hammer bullets, and they have a bit of a reputation for being easy to find loads with. Personally I've had great luck with them in a Tikka 270 that was picky with many other bullets.
Thx for the info. At this point, I am likely up to 600. I really wanted the 175 LRX, but those are like finding primers, so will use 168's I have (about 180 of them). I tried the Hammers, but because of the 1:11 twist of the Tikka, would have put me down in the 160's and below, so I figured I'd develop a load with what I have. Also, the 168 TTSX (as well as 175 LRX) are both designed for a 1:11 twist. As a side, I use the 124g HH in my 6.5. If I ever swap my barrel out, I will go back the the Hunters.

I also only have about .5 lbs RL16 (maybe I should have grabbed the 5# jug off Powder Valley yesterday), whereas I have more of everything else (of course).

I am still debating which method to use. I may just go with Hunter and see if it works, if not, RL22, and walk down the list. I have an 8# jug of Hunter, so plenty to work with. Primers are my limiting factor at this point.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Don't think ridiculous is correct, maybe naive. Why? The way I learned (guy who taught me does it this way) to develop a load is:
  1. Work up a load in groups of 5 to check grouping.
  2. Shoot the groups
  3. See which load (powder/charge) grouped the best
  4. Assuming you have a sub-moa group, make 10 more of those and shoot to determine velocity
  5. Print the recipe and make enough to practice and hunt with
Based on Barnes data for the 4 powders I have, it is VERY easy to get at least 4 loads of each, hence 4x5x4 = 80 loads.

I might be able to do the "pressure ladder" with each powder and then do one set of 5 for each at the top (backed off a bit), which would probably get me more in the 40-50 range I would guess. Still a lot more than I would like, but probably the more efficient way.

My problem is too many powder choices on hand, and not enough experience with any of them to have a "go to" or "favorite" to try first. That is why I posted the question. Hopefully I will be able to help someone in my same situation out like DCT1983 did and give me an answer based on his experience.

H4831 is about all I use for 300wm, I’ve had great luck with it. If you can get your hands on some you should try it out.

Schism

WKR
I have a friend who shoots 168 ttsx bullets in his Tikka 300 wm. He uses IMR 4831 and it seems to work well for him. YMMV