Lobbying groups negatively affection non -resident hunters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whitetail hunters, I realize this is not pertaining to deer, but I feel this issue pertains to quite a few of you here and western non-resident hunting. Particularly to elk and mule deer. There are lobbying groups behind the scenes pushing hard to to basically in a sense ,make it near impossible to hunt these species without gouging you financialy and drastically limiting non-resident tags . Meanwhile people struggle to get access east of the Mississippi or pay for a lease . They enjoy millions of acres of federal land funded with YOUR tax dollars . Head over to the elk forum and on the general forum and look around and thoughtfully post . If this insanity is not stopped nonresident western hunting for you and yours will be done. It's time non-residents push back . Post creative ideas . It's an uphill battle .

Rich M

WKR
You seem energetic.

Learn about how diff states set nr limits and why.

Learn about pittman robertson and how the funds get distributed, what are the requirements etc.

Learn which states get what and why.

Once that stuff is known, then you can talk about how to complain to our representatives and show em why it aint right. Why should federal dollars go to suport states that are against nonresidents yet they get funding.

A national campaign is reasonable but will be very time consuming and once you start, you dont stop.

Something else to consider is that nothing has happened yet. Handful of guys slinging insults and threats.

You cant sling dirt io call names, has to be professional and facts without much emotion.

I work more than the average bear. Stirring Buzz up is diff from being serious and donating all kinds of time i dont gave to push this. Its a big movement that you want to start.

Rich M

WKR
How many similar threads does there need to be on a subject?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Folks are excited.

We just lost abbig chunk of Alaskan hunting, WY guys are saying keep out, housing subdivisions keep popping up and the sportsmans clubs keep saying we need more hunters.

Its a real issue and folks need to work thru it.

It’ll go away in another month or two.

OP
G
You seem energetic.

Learn about how diff states set nr limits and why.

Learn about pittman robertson and how the funds get distributed, what are the requirements etc.

Learn which states get what and why.

Once that stuff is known, then you can talk about how to complain to our representatives and show em why it aint right. Why should federal dollars go to suport states that are against nonresidents yet they get funding.

A national campaign is reasonable but will be very time consuming and once you start, you dont stop.

Something else to consider is that nothing has happened yet. Handful of guys slinging insults and threats.

You cant sling dirt io call names, has to be professional and facts without much emotion.

I work more than the average bear. Stirring Buzz up is diff from being serious and donating all kinds of time i dont gave to push this. Its a big movement that you want to start.
I agree, with much of what you say. I have studied some of the rulings handed down and the history. Things like in 1957 a law was passed that you could not hunt big game without an oufitter. Later reversed schakel vs state of wyoming I believe in 1978 . There's also a case of obrien vs state of Wyoming in 1986 where the non-resident hunting restriction in wilderness areas was challenged and remained. I too work more than most. I am not a lawyer or an expert in wildlife law/ funding nor really interested in starting a non profit lobbying group "save the western non-resident hunter" . I do believe that there is a small group of hard lobbying residents that really would like to see the non-resident numbers down to zero. This is an Internet "chat room". Nothing gets done here, it's not reality. Nobody has any power to do anything. The real power lies in the law. Currently the only way I seen getting any meaningful legislation passed would be at the Federal level just as these few cases described about. I hope someone with a much more knowledge or expertise may pick this up. I do believe most of the hunting public is asleep and doesn't have a clue about how they are about to get blind sided. In today's age of instant communication I believe that the more the word spreads the more numbers are involved which is needed. As far the "dirt" slinging you are absolutely 100% right ,very unprofessional. I own that. If it means anything to you I did publicly apologize to a gentlemen who first initiated a personal attack on me. Follow the thread. Will this go away in a few months ? Who knows, but I am hoping to put the word out to as many unsuspecting non-resident hunters as possible and just maybe one is a "energetic " lawyer who is a non-resident western hunter and takes this to the legislative battlefield. --Respectfully

To the OP:

For this very cause, how much money have you put up front for lobbying and representation in DC? It ain't going to be cheap. Been there done that on the state level and in Washington.

Best of luck .....

OP
G
To the OP:

For this very cause, how much money have you put up front for lobbying and representation in DC? It ain't going to be cheap. Been there done that on the state level and in Washington.

Best of luck .....
I have donated exactly $0 to that organization. As far as I know there are none that represent nonresident western hunters. Please if anyone is aware of one let me know. I would happily send money and probably donate time as well

OP
G
I also realize it would not be cheap. Look at the cash the nra uses for lobbying. If things escalated to considering a push to sell some blm lands maybe partnering with oil, natural gas,coal or timber companies and private land holdings companies may be a financial boost. I would imagine they have deep pockets. Maybe a few Republican senators or congressman who have outlived their usefulness and willing to bring forth a bill.

OP
G
Whitetail hunters, let me paint a picture of what is about to happen to you. You spend too much time watching the outdoor channel and see some guy hunting elk in a western state and think. Wow that looks amazing! You start researching how to get in on this game and learn about a "point " system where you send money yearly and wait in line with everyone else. No big deal. You put in for a Wyoming general tag maybe expecting 2-3 years to draw. It's a good tag, but not the cream of the crop. Then the rule changes and they give out substantially less tags and now you have to wait 7-8 years to hunt and oh by the way keep sending cash for points or you loose them. Doesn't seem right to me. Buyer beware

Donjuan

WKR
Can anyone share how much of a non resident elk tag at 8 to 1200 dollars goes towards game management versus the typical state income tax paid by a resident?

KHNC

WKR
Can anyone share how much of a non resident elk tag at 8 to 1200 dollars goes towards game management versus the typical state income tax paid by a resident?
If its wyoming, then i believe no state income tax is paid at all.

@Gutshot007, what percentage of a game animal "held in trust for the benefits of the residents" of a state should go to non-residents?

I'm all for residents understanding the negative consequences of cutting out NR as it relates to national level advocacy and slowing the trend towards hunting being a hobby of the wealthy but I have a hard time with the feeling of entitlement towards wildlife in states i'm not a resident of. Makes me wonder how all the residents of IA, KS, NE, SD, ND, etc here feel about NR being entitled to the whitetails in your state.

OP
G
I am well aware of the wildlife held in trust by the state ,but the MASSIVE Federal land holding's where their wildlife roam the state does not control . Pretty difficult to have game without habitat/land. Some of the state's mentioned above certainly do have some federal land and others very minimal . Not sure how you would feel about a large western state made up of 60% federal land had tags at 100/0 resident to non-resident ratio for game that was doing well. Personally I would feel that the rest of the nation was funding their own giant hunting lease. Just some thoughts. Head over to the elk/ general discussion forums for some "interesting " discussion on this topic . I wouldn't even wanna re-hash some of the posts. I think I'm done for real this time

Status
Not open for further replies.