Lobbying Wyoming game and fish negatively affecting non-resident elk hunters

1) 90/10 resident/non-resident allocation.
2) increase fees for non residents due to loss from 90/10
3) guides and outfitters set aside 30% of total non- residents allocation
4)resident preference for leftover tags
5) decrease in non-resident General elk tags
These are NOT laws but have been presented to Wyoming legislation . There was recent changes to the western "Big Five" negatively affected non-residents. There was a biological concern about the decrease in numbers of species hence decrease in tags. I also feel for non- resident hunters who have sent WY game and fish money for points only to have a decrease in odds or waiting longer to use them. Especially older hunters. I wasn't aware that there were biological concerns about elk /deer numbers? I realize the state of Wyoming owns the elk and it is their decision on how to manage the resource . I know nobody owes me nothing ,I'm not a resident, don't pay Wyoming taxes, and should sell my house, change jobs,uproot my family and move to Wyoming to hunt (really?) Also i,m a whinning, complaining, crybaby. Quit bitchin. Let's get all that out of the way. I'll be honest I have nothing against Wyoming residents, but geeze if some have their way this stuff is possibly heading in an unfavorable direction for a non-resident elk hunter. When it all comes down to it I guess one makes a personal decision whether they want to continue sending money to Wyoming game and fish

manitou1

WKR
Wyoming actually increased elk tag allocations this year. Also, elk weren't affected by the 90/10. Antelope quotas have been greatly reduced as expected, and needed. Mule deer quotas were also reduced, which was needed. Good on them.
Numbers were released on the WG&F website yesterday. Will be open for comment and then be approved April 19.

BBob

WKR
but geeze if some have their way this stuff is possibly definitely heading in an unfavorable direction for a non-resident elk hunter.
Absolutely. Already happened long ago in more popular states and certainly coming your way :)

Last edited:

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
Let’s just make it so you can only hunt in the state you live in😆
In all seriousness just do what you have to do. Put in for what you can and hope for the best. It is what it is at this point. Hopefully we can keep the opportunities we already have and things don’t get any worse.

Rob5589

WKR
Lots of factors go into these decisions. The reality is, non resident hunting is likely a slowly dying activity. It's not difficult to envision non resident hunting becoming a guide only (like some AK species) endeavor in the future. All we can do is enjoy it while it lasts.

Washington is proof that poorly managed game is the best cure for them pesky non-residents. We have three species of deer, two species of elk, Shiras moose, bighorn sheep, black bears, and cougar....in theory. OTC tags for everything but moose and sheep and NO ONE comes here to hunt.

The heart of the issue, in my perspective, is residents whine and moan they don’t get a LQ tag in a premium unit every year and thus blame it on NR hunters cause they saw a picture of a guy on the internet with a great buck, not realizing he waited 15 years for that tag and won’t ever get to draw it again. Instead of going hunting every year they try to keep everyone else out since they didn’t get their way. Like the people who lobbied for this in WY who have drawn multiple OIL tags for multiple species in multiple states and want to make sure nobody else has that opportunity, several members on this forum come to mind. By the way, it’s not just WY, it’s a number of states.

tdhanses

WKR
Wyoming actually increased elk tag allocations this year. Also, elk weren't affected by the 90/10. Antelope quotas have been greatly reduced as expected, and needed. Mule deer quotas were also reduced, which was needed. Good on them.
Numbers were released on the WG&F website yesterday. Will be open for comment and then be approved April 19.
I thought WY by statute couldn’t do that for NR, was capped at 7250 or something for elk.

OP
G
I forgot one other proposal 6) increase minimal land ownership of non - residents from 160 acres to who knows what before getting into resident license pool

bsnedeker

WKR
I forgot one other proposal 6) increase minimal land ownership of non - residents from 160 acres to who knows what before getting into resident license pool
That's awesome! If you want to be in the resident pool maybe you should...crazy idea here I know so please stay with me here: Be a resident!!!! Maybe people being able to buy their way into the resident pool is a horrible thing?

KHNC

WKR
The heart of the issue, in my perspective, is residents whine and moan they don’t get a LQ tag in a premium unit every year and thus blame it on NR hunters cause they saw a picture of a guy on the internet with a great buck, not realizing he waited 15 years for that tag and won’t ever get to draw it again. Instead of going hunting every year they try to keep everyone else out since they didn’t get their way. Like the people who lobbied for this in WY who have drawn multiple OIL tags for multiple species in multiple states and want to make sure nobody else has that opportunity, several members on this forum come to mind. By the way, it’s not just WY, it’s a number of states.
careful....Buzz is watching you.......

Laramie

WKR
Hunting in Wyoming, and other western states, will become more and more difficult to do as interest grows. It's simple supply and demand. I don't blame any state for taking care of it's residents, especially Wyoming. Cost of living is high, wages are low, the climate is crappy, and you have to deal with guys like Buzz to live there. It's not for everyone. The outdoors, and generally good politics, are really the only major draw they have so they need to keep their residents happy.

tdhanses

WKR
Hunting in Wyoming, and other western states, will become more and more difficult to do as interest grows. It's simple supply and demand. I don't blame any state for taking care of it's residents, especially Wyoming. Cost of living is high, wages are low, the climate is crappy, and you have to deal with guys like Buzz to live there. It's not for everyone. The outdoors, and generally good politics, are really the only major draw they have so they need to keep their residents happy.
Man once you really lay it all out there, not sure it’s worth it just for hunting 😆

BDRam16

WKR
Washington is proof that poorly managed game is the best cure for them pesky non-residents. We have three species of deer, two species of elk, Shiras moose, bighorn sheep, black bears, and cougar....in theory. OTC tags for everything but moose and sheep and NO ONE comes here to hunt.
Lack of proximity to the vast majority of the country where non-residents are driving from is the major factor there.

OP
G
Western non-resident hunters , fngs, and lurkers I know your out there or looking at this thread and frustrated. You have had goals of a western hunting trip and looked at the insanity. The first thing I would like to say is there are some great people on this sight helpful ,generously willing to share info etc. Dont kid yourself there are also some that feel 1 non-resident in there state is too many . You are viewed as the enemy, competition. They do not want non-resident hunting. I respect their opinion.
Non -resident western hunters do we have a leg to stand on , bargining chips, negotiating power ? Are we working from a position of strength or weakness ? Obviously MONEY is the best one. Most western game/fish departments rely heavily on non-resident license fees. At what point and how do we use that bargining chip ?Other thoughts on Federal land use ? Contacting state senators / congressman involved in office of tourism. There must be lawyers/ politicians looking at this situation scratching their heads looking at legal angles. Throwing thoughts /options out there. Any other western non-resident hunters have any ideas