Lobster buck down. 200 pounds.

I watched this old hoss grow this interesting rack all year. 8 points that are not exactly impressive, but I loved the unique lobster-claw antlers and knew I would shoot him if my fellow club members didn't get him first. 200 pounds, which is fairly large for a sea island buck (near Edisto, SC). Walked out last night and spotted him before I made it to the stand. 220 yards. 6.5CM Fieldcraft. 10X SWFA scope that I put on that morning. I shot him with 147 grain ELD-M, because they shoot about 1/2 MOA in this rifle. DRT and buried his right antler into the soft peanut field loam. Did not take one step. I used my spotter tripod as a brace for the shot.

The evening sky put on a real show as I waited for my buddy to arrive with his quad. It was one of those awesome days.

Lobster Buck2.jpg
Lobster Buck.jpg
Buck3.jpg
Buck4.jpg
Sunset.jpg

Same buck in June, about 200 yards from where I dropped him.
20220627_195505.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Mike Islander
Heck yeah!!!
He been eating good,,,,congrats!!
Love those bases btw.

THAT is true. This deer had more fat on him than I have ever seen on this property. We've had a fantastic mast year, and the peanuts just add to the menu. Every doe I have seen except one had twin fawns this year. I wouldn't be surprised if she had twins as well, but one was probably eaten by coyotes or the 8 wild dogs we had roaming out here for a while.

slatty

WKR
Hey that's a sweet buck. This is not a criticiam at all, just wondering if that was a neck shot at 220? Sounds like you're a much better shot than me, just curious if that was your plan at that range.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Perhaps we can have breakfast at the Sea Cow and you can tell me how the old guys do it.

But at 60 you’re certainly not old man you’re just getting started.

OP
Mike Islander
Hey that's a sweet buck. This is not a criticiam at all, just wondering if that was a neck shot at 220? Sounds like you're a much better shot than me, just curious if that was your plan at that range.

It was a neck shot, and definitely not recommended. :)