locating elk, what are you doing when you're not glassing?

sk1

WKR
Ok so I still have much to learn about elk hunting, I've only been doing it for two years.....first year I hardly saw any elk, second year I got on elk in many different locations....I'm learning but slowly.

This year I plan on implementing glassing a bit more now that I have good optics, spotter and binos both....I am hunting early season in sheep country, 10,000 feet but mostly rolling mountains, no real big basins to glass, just drainages with limited glassing spots.... I have already picked out most of the better glassing locations.

So lets say I glass one evening and then the next morning, unable to locate elk, now what? Hike hard and fast through various areas during the day until I start bumping into really fresh sign and then slow down/possibly back out to glass that particular area if possible? If I don't locate fresh sign hiking just glass new area in the mornings/evenings and repeat hiking until I find them?

I am just looking to hear how you guys go after looking for elk, I made some rookie mistakes last year and I dont want to do it again....I located lots of elk last year from both glassing and hiking, but I feel there was a bit of luck involved so I'm still trying to figure out exactly what I should be doing.

so let's hear it what methods do you guys like to use for locating your elk, mostly early season so not many bugles to follow...it opens this year here on the 18th of august ill get in camp the 17th and leave on the 26th

Rizzy

WKR
If you don't see any feeding in the small openings in the very early morning, they are probably not in that area so move on and glass some new country. Over here in Wolf country I see elk a lot of times in the small openings among timber rather than the large open areas and meadows.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
yeah, just some of the area i hunt glassing is somewhat limited, so i figure after i hurry to several different glassing points in the morning, i was kinda like now what....if i didnt see something.

after reading some things i was kinda just thinking id cruise around other openings on the fringes and look for active game trails coming out....and then glass again in the evening.

its really going to take some patience for me to be dedicated to glassing, i like to be on the move but i know im covering more ground with the optics

Yukondog

WKR
Where I typically hunt elk it is too thick to glass. There are no real openings to speak of. Last year I was maybe two hundred yards across a ravine from a screaming bull and decided to slow down and glass for his location. I had a complete open view of that side of the mtn. I'm close to the bottom of the skill set with binos I'm sure, but I never found him or any other elk. The beetle kill is great so the forest floor is a thick cafeteria for the animals. They really have no reason to ever let the sun touch their backs.

All that to say we move all day long. Tip toe tip toe thru the woods. I agree with that article, yet I have a very hard time sitting during daylight hours. Lunch break seems to take too long. I plan on this year slowing down and sitting more often. Perhaps some shackles or hobbles would be useful.

Matt